Dec 21, 2021
Van
VetteCoins
Car
Z06
Province
BC
Anyone got info on what type of tax we pay ordering from California and getting items shipped to Canada?

I'm wondering if we pay WA state tax then, we pay duties , then we pay provincial tax? Plus conversion of USD to CAD

Need to know if the wheels I want are worth all these taxes.

We don't pay state tax.

We pay duties and Canadian tax which is dependent on country of origin, and then brokerage fees. There should be no duty on wheels manufactured in the USA, but if they are coming from China or Taiwan, there will be.

When I looked at shipping from Cali a few years ago, it was $180 USD for a set of wheels. Who knows what the price is now given that fuel is up.

Reactions: Nik
That depends on the state tax thing. For ex:

If u order something from Summit Racing and have it shipped to a US address for pickup or whatever depending on the state item is shipped to they will charge u state tax.

This came out of a US supreme court decision regarding online sales and States crying foul about missing out on all the online sales revenue.

Tony

That depends on the state tax thing. For ex:

If u order something from Summit Racing and have it shipped to a US address for pickup or whatever depending on the state item is shipped to they will charge u state tax.

This came out of a US supreme court decision regarding online sales and States crying foul about missing out on all the online sales revenue.

Tony
Ok so the state tax only applies if you do a pick up parcel in the states.

We don't pay state tax.

We pay duties and Canadian tax which is dependent on country of origin, and then brokerage fees. There should be no duty on wheels manufactured in the USA, but if they are coming from China or Taiwan, there will be.

When I looked at shipping from Cali a few years ago, it was $180 USD for a set of wheels. Who knows what the price is now given that fuel is up.

The wheels are coming from Taiwan but buying from a California shop. How do they calculate brokerage fee ?

Does your province have a cross border shipping company like Cross border pickups that we have here in Ontario??

How much shipping are you going to be paying for these wheels to be shipped from California or Taiwan to your front door? Chances are they are going to ream you huge on shipping charges.

Most places that you buy stuff from in the USA have free shipping to anywhere in the 48 states so if your province have a cross border shipping place better to ship close to the border and let them bring it over to you.

When I bought my wheels it was also from a California vendor, free shipping to Niagara Falls and let the cross border place bring it over (this was when the border was closed otherwise I would just go over there and pick them up from my US address package holding company). They charge a small fee on each box based on size and weight. The US dollar amount was converted to Can $$$ and you pay HST on that total along with the fee for them to bring the wheels over. Basically with the border closed the small fee was worth paying for them to bring the wheels over even if I could go over personally and pick them up myself.

PM me for more info

Last edited:
I would advise to buy Canadian whenever possible.
I bought my American Racing wheels and Nitto tires from PartsEngine.ca and shipping was FREE, right to my garage door.

The wheels are coming from Taiwan but buying from a California shop. How do they calculate brokerage fee ?

Brokerage fees and duties are two separate items. Brokerage fees are set by the broker (or carrier) bringing it into the country. If you are using Fedex, UPS etc, they usually charge about $25-30 for brokerage, and then you are on the hook for duties and GST etc that they are paying on your behalf to CBSA.

Car parts from Taiwan carry a tariff of 0-8% (I think), and then you pay your provincial sales tax on the value of the goods declared.

So if the wheels are declared at $600...

~$30 in brokerage
$48 in duty @ 8% on $600
$72 in BC provincial sales tax @ 12% on $600

Just an estimate. If you get the shipper to declare a lower value, then the duty and taxes are lower, but brokerage is usually a flat rate fee.

Brokerage fees and duties are two separate items. Brokerage fees are set by the broker (or carrier) bringing it into the country. If you are using Fedex, UPS etc, they usually charge about $25-30 for brokerage, and then you are on the hook for duties and GST etc that they are paying on your behalf to CBSA.

Car parts from Taiwan carry a tariff of 0-8% (I think), and then you pay your provincial sales tax on the value of the goods declared.

So if the wheels are declared at $600...

~$30 in brokerage
$48 in duty @ 8% on $600
$72 in BC provincial sales tax @ 12% on $600

Just an estimate. If you get the shipper to declare a lower value, then the duty and taxes are lower, but brokerage is usually a flat rate fee.

I do not think the brokerage fee is $30. I used the Calulator at Canadian border services, and I came up with $500 in brokerage fee for the wheels. But, again it was estimate only.

Buy them in Canada. Virtually everything available there is also available here. By the time you pay brokerage, duty, shipping, and the exchange on the dollar, it rarely is worth the effort.
It's available, yes, but the price difference is ridiculous for some things. Yesterday I priced a programmable dual timer relay, ICM501. It's $327 CAD from Amazon.ca, Compared to $120 USD from a supply house in the US. Free shipping over $249, (I need 3). It's well worth doing some research.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.