Jan 1, 2014
Calgary AB
VetteCoins
Car
77 Corvette L82
Province
AB
Hey guys,

It's been a while. I've been making lots of new parts but due to the restrictions of the forum I am not allowed to talk about my new company or the many parts I now make. That is extremely disappointing as I have been an active member on here for over 10 years and have provided lots of content as well as some help and advice during that time, but I could use some help getting more sales but I can't justify spending the money for the limited advertising.

Anyway, this is a new part I have created for my 77 Corvette. It is a carbon fiber gas lid. It's made by infusing 3 layers of carbon fiber 2x2 twill in a mold and the adhering a 3D printed support underneath which holds 4 stainless steel nuts for mounting. That is reinforced with a 6mm square carbon fiber tube. The result is an extremely rigid gas lid that weighs 46.1g (Not clear coated) compared to the factory lid (without the emblem) which weighs 190g.

I intented to use this lid on my car but after making it I decided I really didn't like the look of it. I may install it on my car but I would probably paint it body color because I don't have any external carbon fiber so it sticks out.

Before I throw this project away, along with the hours prototyping, I was curious what your opinions are of it? Is this something you'd ever want for your car? Bear in mind carbon fiber part design, and creation is very expensive. More than just the cost of the fabric itself you also have costs for the resin, clear coat, mold, release wax, release agent, peel ply, bagging materials, hoses, etc., plus the labor to create it. As such this would probably be priced around $250-$300 CDN. Unfortunately carbon fiber costs don't scale well and making a larger part doesn't necessary cost a whole lot more than a small part as the labor to create it is about the same just the material costs vary a bit.

Please excuse the very dirty car. The Calgary water ban is unfortunately still in effect.

1000005402.jpg
1000005401.jpg
1000005403.jpg