Cobourg, Ontario
VetteCoins
Username Style Freeform (Sponsors)
Thread Title Style (Sponsors)
Car
2009 Base 1LT
Province
ON
We're experiencing a sombre day today at Bill Spencer Chevrolet as the updated list for essential businesses in Ontario was released late yesterday. All car dealerships are to close their doors for at the next two weeks as we continue to combat this pandemic.

Service will remain open.

In the meantime, I will do my best to stay active on this forum, answering any questions I can, keeping you up to date as much as possible, and I can still technically sell, just not at the dealership.

We're all in this together.

Reactions: Nik and JoeyBats
The updated list included - no New Construction Permits - which shuts down the Building Industry.
This is the industry I am in as Alberta has trended to follow Doug Ford's Actions ... so I am
blitzing my projects this weekend so that we can pull Building Permits. This is terrible news ...
I have been focusing on the Fed announcements and determining our best course of assistance
as we cannot double-dip on the multitude of programs/subsidy. Going to see how they can best
apply to arm's length employees (owners) ...

@EJChevy - see if someone is good to facetime or whatsapp with you - as it does help.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
The updated list included - no New Construction Permits - which shuts down the Building Industry.
This is the industry I am in as Alberta has trended to follow Doug Ford's Actions ... so I am
blitzing my projects this weekend so that we can pull Building Permits. This is terrible news ...
I have been focusing on the Fed announcements and determining our best course of assistance
as we cannot double-dip on the multitude of programs/subsidy. Going to see how they can best
apply to arm's length employees (owners) ...

It is what it is...

Governments don't take decisions that kill the economy lightly. That's the opposite of what they want to do, but yesterday they also announced the prediction on what'll take place if we keep it at status-quo and that's 15,000 dead in Ontario alone by the time this is said and done.

Whilst almost everyone is affected, myself and businesses definitely included, this is a step they should have taken a few weeks ago if not sooner. The sooner we shut the country down the shorter the recovery period. There's no way to dress this up nicely or do it piecemeal. India managed to shutdown 1.4Billion people almost immediately with much less communication infrastructure at their disposal. We can do it.

If we do not do it decisively this will drag on for many many months, maybe years, consumer sentiment will be utterly destroyed and we will not have an economy to save. Then I just need Mad Max style oil truck convoy and a lead guitarist.

We will be fine in the end but we need to suck this up as it's really the only thing we can do to help our speedy recovery.

@EJChevy thanks for posting this.

Whilst almost everyone is affected, myself and businesses definitely included, this is a step they should have taken a few weeks ago if not sooner. The sooner we shut the country down the shorter the recovery period. There's no way to dress this up nicely or do it piecemeal. India managed to shutdown 1.4Billion people almost immediately with much less communication infrastructure at their disposal. We can do it.

If we do not do it decisively this will drag on for many many months, maybe years, consumer sentiment will be utterly destroyed and we will not have an economy to save. Then I just need Mad Max style oil truck convoy and a lead guitarist.

We will be fine in the end but we need to suck this up as it's really the only thing we can do to help our speedy recovery.

100% agree. I keep saying all the signs were there over a month ago. This is not hindsight. They put the economy before people and both are suffering now. The border should have been closed along with all non-essential businesses, and a stay at home order put in place. As harsh as it sounds, countries that implemented this strategy are managing better. The longer the powers take to close off possibilities of the virus spreading, the longer this is going to drag on.

You drive the oil truck, lets get a V8 Interceptor as well and I'll toss a guitar in and drive point for you. :Biggrin: :ohoh:

• Haha
Reactions: Nik
100% agree. I keep saying all the signs were there over a month ago. This is not hindsight. They put the economy before people and both are suffering now. The border should have been closed along with all non-essential businesses, and a stay at home order put in place. As harsh as it sounds, countries that implemented this strategy are managing better. The longer the powers take to close off possibilities of the virus spreading, the longer this is going to drag on.
The economy is people.

Fathers and mothers who won’t be able to support their families. Foreclosed homes. Addiction rates will rise exponentially. Domestic violence. Suicides hotlines are already seeing a rise in calls. The economy is not some external monolith. It is intimately woven into the fabric of our lives and for most people it is how they derive their sense of satisfaction, their personal worth other than finance, their sense of who they are in the world, and how they define themselves. Suggesting that a 100% survival rate is acceptable at the risk of having nothing left to survive for, is a specious argument. Yes you may survive, but if you lose your home, can’t feed your kids, and through your despair and depression decide life is just not worth living, was it really worth killing the economy.

On this forum we own Corvettes and our demographic is likely significantly different than your average Joe Six-pack. Maybe all of us here will be both physically and financially safe from the current health crisis and coming financial crisis. Most (97%+) will survive the virus. The impending economic collapse will have impacts greater than the virus. Currently in Canada for every dollar earned, the average Canadian owes $1.74. That’s treacherous territory in good times. In the year to come that debt load for most will be unsustainable.

There will be massive human costs even if we all survive the virus.

The economy is people.

Fathers and mothers who won’t be able to support their families. Foreclosed homes. Addiction rates will rise exponentially. Domestic violence. Suicides hotlines are already seeing a rise in calls. The economy is not some external monolith. It is intimately woven into the fabric of our lives and for most people it is how they derive their sense of satisfaction, their personal worth other than finance, their sense of who they are in the world, and how they define themselves. Suggesting that a 100% survival rate is acceptable at the risk of having nothing left to survive for, is a specious argument. Yes you may survive, but if you lose your home, can’t feed your kids, and through your despair and depression decide life is just not worth living, was it really worth killing the economy.

On this forum we own Corvettes and our demographic is likely significantly different than your average Joe Six-pack. Maybe all of us here will be both physically and financially safe from the current health crisis and coming financial crisis. Most (97%+) will survive the virus. The impending economic collapse will have impacts greater than the virus. Currently in Canada for every dollar earned, the average Canadian owes $1.74. That’s treacherous territory in good times. In the year to come that debt load for most will be unsustainable.

Dammed if we do, dammed if we don't.

There's no good end to what's happening now, regardless of what we do. All we can do is keep moving forward.

What they're really trying to do is reduce the mortality rate of 10% they're seeing in Italy and Spain and keep it at the "normal" 3% by preventing our healthcare system from being overwhelmed. Ontario is already running out of ICU beds and there are thousands more who will need them over the next month alone.

One thing that crossed my mind regarding the idea of people continuing to go to work: If everyone keeps going as if nothing is happening, then everyone will get sick VERY fast, and therefore the entire country will more-or-less shut down because everyone will be at home, sick.

A Business Ownership Perspective,
an Employee of a Business Perspective
(I can see a bit of both in the above)
and then
those dealing with both the Chicken & the Egg ....
I will just leave simple economics at that ... 🙏🏻

Last edited:
The economy is people.

You are correct to some extent, however I never suggested or implied a 100% survival rate is acceptable at the expense of the economy. If you consider the economic and human cost after WW2, where people lost everything, including family members (ask me how I know)they were still able to rebuild their lives, rebuild their assets, their business and build new relationships. What I am stating is that the government should have taken earlier and stronger measures to reduce the spread of this virus. Other countries that have acted more aggressively have been able to better contain the spread, possibly shortening the lockdown time, thus allowing the economy to rebound sooner.

Reactions: 12cents and Nik
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.