AxeZ06

Power User
Sep 2, 2018
Hamilton
VetteCoins
Car
C7 Z06 Z07 3LZ
A little is better than nothing:

Starting Sept. 16, Transportation Minister Jeff Yurek says speed limits on Highway 402 between London and Sarnia, the QEW between St. Catharines and Hamilton and Highway 417 between eastern Ottawa and the Quebec border will have a posted limit of 110 km/h.

Reactions: LE BARON and YFCvii
A little is better than nothing:

Starting Sept. 16, Transportation Minister Jeff Yurek says speed limits on Highway 402 between London and Sarnia, the QEW between St. Catharines and Hamilton and Highway 417 between eastern Ottawa and the Quebec border will have a posted limit of 110 km/h.
Hooray ...
Geeee whiz .... just in time for when one thinks about hibernation
... make sure that when you set your clock back in the fall ...
you did not "accidentally unknowingly" set the dash display to
USA mode before accelerating to 110 :hilarious:
:drive:
in Alberta it seems people think "limit" means the "lower limit"
... and still think so when the posted word is "maximum" ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Cruzin
16 kph over here and you'll never get pulled over in a 110 limit... Had one stop me at night at 128. Didn't even ask for my papers.... just stopped me to warn that there were a lot of deer on that road at night.... Now if you happen upon a cop that caught his wife in bed with the pool guy that day, all bets are off.

.... just stopped me to warn that there were a lot of deer on that road at night....
Now if you happen upon a cop that caught his wife in bed with the pool guy that day, all bets are off.
oh hell ya ...
and especially if your Corvette Vanity Plate is ... 🤣
poolguy.jpg

Last edited:
what was it before or is now ? 110 is fast enough , most people don't obey anyway, round here every one passes me as I drive the limit , makes them feel good they passed a Vett.

For sure Michael. I think most of us get that nonsense with people passing the vette. Usually I laugh it off but occasionally I will drop a gear and totally ruin their day. 😂

After spending 23 years in litigation and 12 years with the OPP I have seen my share of accidents. Higher speed limits are a two edged sword. For competent drivers, yes. For the other 80%, not a good thing. Distracted driving has surpassed alcohol, speed and non-seatbelt usage in accidents. During highway patrols, we didn't bother stopping cars at 125 because there are just too many of them. Usually it was over 130 km/hr. Time will tell whether this is the right decision.

After spending 23 years in litigation and 12 years with the OPP I have seen my share of accidents. Higher speed limits are a two edged sword. For competent drivers, yes. For the other 80%, not a good thing. Distracted driving has surpassed alcohol, speed and non-seatbelt usage in accidents. During highway patrols, we didn't bother stopping cars at 125 because there are just too many of them. Usually it was over 130 km/hr. Time will tell whether this is the right decision.

The Edmonton to Calgary highway has been 110 for as long as I can remember. The “normal” speed is about 125 for cruising along. Usually not a lot of drama. The biggest wrecks are usually weather related from clowns not slowing down for the conditions. Not normally a corvette problem but there are multiple redneck jacked up pick-up Heros upside down every time. Fortunately my Hummer doesn’t go that fast. It likes a nice 100 kph red neck cruising speed.
Totally agree on the idiots on the cell phones doing 130. The penalties are too low for that BS.

Around here most drivers seem to pretty much disregard the speed limit and drive like it is always a race to be first to save those precious few seconds. A lot of the accidents we roll for seem to be speed related or distracted driving these days. But we only deal with the incident itself not the repercussion side of it so we never know the true story ourselves.

The Edmonton to Calgary highway has been 110 for as long as I can remember. The “normal” speed is about 125 for cruising along. Usually not a lot of drama. The biggest wrecks are usually weather related from clowns not slowing down for the conditions. Not normally a corvette problem but there are multiple redneck jacked up pick-up Heros upside down every time. Fortunately my Hummer doesn’t go that fast. It likes a nice 100 kph red neck cruising speed.
Totally agree on the idiots on the cell phones doing 130. The penalties are too low for that BS.

Missed you at Ponoka today D. In consideration of you not being able to make yet another Ponoka, we turned away all the black Corvettes :angelic:. Plan for next year buddy.

DSCN3452.JPG

Missed you at Ponoka today D. In consideration of you not being able to make yet another Ponoka, we turned away all the black Corvettes :angelic:. Plan for next year buddy.

View attachment 26517

Eric my Saturday was this....
Mooring a tanker for an oil offload from the FPSO.

Kind of boring compared to hanging out with you goons.
Maybe next year hey... your looks much more entertaining. (right Jeffy..?)
3289E11E-2B45-4E67-A6F1-A779A05336FF.jpeg
36CE5C82-63C2-4615-B9A9-9EC6D80CDDE5.jpeg
2273D851-08F6-4AE3-84EE-64BF8FF34AC6.jpeg

When I drove to MITM last July (2018) I followed an OPP vehicle for approx. 20K. The posted limit was/is 90K. The OPP was cruising a constant 110/115. I figured if it was good for them it was good for me. Probably more problems with moose up there (ask Jim) than crazy speeders.
Same limits in Quebec. The police usually won't bother you for a 10/15 above the limit except maybe secondary roads. They do it themselves. I am pretty sure they tighten up when there is heavier traffic such as around holidays. More incompetent drivers out there then.
The main AutoRoutes were built for 70MPH(120KPH) back in the day. Limits were lowered to 100KPH when the gas crisis hit and just stayed there. So the roads are safe for those speeds, it is just there are more idiots out there now.

90 km limit pretty much all the way from Golden to Canmore, about 160 kms. The highway is divided and fenced most of the way. Drops down to 70 then 50 when tourist buses are shuttling people in and out of Lake Louise. Even the bus drivers say it's ridiculous. Long weekends are a different story. Hundreds of rental cars and motorhomes on unfamiliar roads driven by some who have never piloted anything bigger than a Fiesta. Throw in some commercial drivers who purchased their license and it can get pretty scary.

There is certainly a varied cross section of people out there on the roads. Those that are experienced, have common sense and are good drivers, those that just don't get it and should be required to take and pass driving and safety lessons, and those that shouldn't be permitted anywhere near a road with shoes, let alone tires.....

90 km limit pretty much all the way from Golden to Canmore, about 160 kms. The highway is divided and fenced most of the way.

For me in all the years I’ve driven the TCH to the coast and back,I’ve found through the parks 100 kms/hr,maybe a little bit more is sufficient and the RCMP will leave most people alone...20 km/hr over you’re asking for trouble. I’ve been passed by guys doing 130 + between LL and Banff. Not worth it if you require a drivers license such as I do. 7 or more demerit points and I lose my city driving permit until it falls to 5. I’m presently sitting on 3 from the ticket I got last sept on the 1A. So,,,I have to be careful for a year and a half yet.

If I recall there’s a road sign just past the BC border that states something to the effect of of...”40 k over results in vehicle seizure”. Maybe @Dantanman can confirm?

Last edited:
Around here most drivers seem to pretty much disregard the speed limit and drive like it is always a race to be first to save those precious few seconds. A lot of the accidents we roll for seem to be speed related or distracted driving these days. But we only deal with the incident itself not the repercussion side of it so we never know the true story ourselves.

No different here on the Deerfoot Fred. And it’s getting worse each summer. A section of the Stoney trail in the northeast has had a few guys clocked at 200+. Its 3 lanes wide with shoulders close to being the width of a lane so,needless to say,it’s wide.

Reactions: LE BARON
For me in all the years I’ve driven the TCH to the coast and back,I’ve found through the parks 100 kms/hr,maybe a little bit more is sufficient and the RCMP will leave most people alone...20 km/hr over you’re asking for trouble. I’ve been passed by guys doing 130 + between LL and Banff. Not worth it if you require a drivers license such as I do. 7 or more demerit points and I lose my city driving permit until it falls to 5. I’m presently sitting on 3 from the ticket I got last sept on the 1A. So,,,I have to be careful for a year and a half yet.
We can usually go 105 without attracting attention and yes I got nailed at 118 last summer. BMW in front of me was my rabbit but I learned the was quick draw McGraw and got us both haha. Alberta does not share ticket info with BC so no demerits. The sheriff even pointed that out to me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread