I'll be interested to hear what others think because maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't get the value of it? I had the one month trial, and then they extended it another 2 months, but I'll be cancelling it after that. I've used it a few times for directions and it worked well, but it's no easier than just using Waze in most situations.

I have the basic on star subscription at a cost of $10.95 per month. I find it worthwhile to have help available if I need it. When we travel I occasionally add wi-fi (your car has it) for about another $15 per month. With wi-fi wife can pull up information on things to see and do where we currently are (as well as all the other stuff you can do online).

I have the basic on star subscription at a cost of $10.95 per month. I find it worthwhile to have help available if I need it. When we travel I occasionally add wi-fi (your car has it) for about another $15 per month. With wi-fi wife can pull up information on things to see and do where we currently are (as well as all the other stuff you can do online).

What does the $10.95 get you for service? Also, is that a yearly subscription, or month to month (seems useless in the winter, so hopefully it’s monthly)

Hi all. I was just wondering if anyone got OnStar with their car, and if so, do you feel it is worth it? I see several packages they offer, but I’m not sure if it’s a valuable option.
Thanks.
Dale.

I had a bigger package on all my corvettes for the last number of years. I just cancelled the entire thing a couple weeks ago as it offered me no value for $41 a month.
Navigation = useless and needs expensive updates. Easier to use any maps app on your phone and CarPlay.
Maintenance reports = months between emails. total crap

The crash thing and theft features seem ok and if available in the basic package mentioned above might be worth it.

However the Chevy App that ties into OnStar is a joke as you have to start your car every 2 weeks to allow the system to ping your car. (Means onstar is saving money by not polling the vehicle you are paying them to protect 24/7.)

For me being overseas 9+ months of the year and wanting to be able to check my car that’s parked and isolated, I expect and require notifications of any miss doing or problem with the car, the service falls way short as after 2 weeks away I get no information.

Edit:
I needed to edit this as one real great feature of OnStar is the “locked out” service and the live diagnostics.
I’ve been locked out of my H2 Hummer and they remotely unlocked the doors after only a couple of questions. Had them call me New Year’s Eve once when my Avalanche threw a code. They called me and told me what was going on and indicated a dealership 50 KM in front of me that they made an appointment at.
So to be fair... if you were on the road all the time OnStar is indeed worth the money.
For a seasonal weekend Corvette driver... maybe not; and for me as I mentioned above, definitely not.

Last edited:
I have had many gm vehicles over the years and I have kept an Onstar subscription open but I don’t think it’s a huge value especially on a car that is really only driven on weekends and short drives

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread