C7AW

You're 5
Aug 28, 2014
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
'15 ZF1
Hello folks,

I don't understand how the Onstar/XM trial works. Would the forum experts chime in please :)

I have just picked up my car but it will go to storage in a couple of weeks. I haven't clicked the Onstar button yet as I am still reading the manual.

Can I activate my subscription in April, and get my 6 months free from April - Sep next year, or does the trial begin the moment I take possession?

Thanks

Hello folks,

I don't understand how the Onstar/XM trial works. Would the forum experts chime in please :)

I have just picked up my car but it will go to storage in a couple of weeks. I haven't clicked the Onstar button yet as I am still reading the manual.

Can I activate my subscription in April, and get my 6 months free from April - Sep next year, or does the trial begin the moment I take possession?

Thanks

It takes effect on delivery, in fact, if you don't push the button in 30 days, it will deactivate itself completely... Both subscriptions are activated when the delivery is reported to GM

To get additional 3 months of XM go to their website and use promo code "REFUEL". This would give you 3 months of free service but will require you to give them a valid credit card. This promo code is good for any Canadian vehicle equipped with XM.

If you dont cancel within 3 months you will be enrolled into their monthly service plan.

Regarding the OnStar if you call them you could ask them to differ the actual start of the trial for Spring 2015 since you are putting the vehicle in storage for Winter. It may or may not work but its worth a shot.

1.888.4.ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827)

Congarts on the purchase and Best of Luck!

XM is funny at first they offer to renew at full monthly rate, but I said no thanks, then they contact you again (either by phone or mail) then they offer a lower rate (if I recall high $8 range), again I said no thanks, latest offer I got was $4.95 a month for a year and no reactivation fee. So let it runs it's course and wait for the calls or letters, stall them a couple of months again and by then it'll be Spring again.

C7aw..... Congrats on the car.
Be sure to call ONSTAR about this.
I have dealt with ONSTAR for 10+ years and always found them to be one of the most customer oriented companies to deal with. Give them a call and explain your situation...my guess is that they will work out something for you.
Graham

Last edited:
Be careful giving them your credit card. All kinds of horror stories regarding XM automatically renewing even if you tell them no. Then try to cancel, it can get painful. If you Google "cancel Sirius" you will find all kinds of negative press on these guys. Better to pay by cheque if you can get a deal.

When I picked up my car, I called OnStar, went through a bunch of stuff with them, but the dealer advised not to give my credit card number if I don't want to subscribe. The OnStar is still activated when you pick u the car.

Hi C7Driver,

My personal experience has been the complete opposite. I cancelled the service on my car after the 3 months promo (REFUEL) and they never charged me but forgot to disconnect service for afew more months.

Be careful giving them your credit card. All kinds of horror stories regarding XM automatically renewing even if you tell them no. Then try to cancel, it can get painful. If you Google "cancel Sirius" you will find all kinds of negative press on these guys. Better to pay by cheque if you can get a deal.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate everyone's input.
I will call onstar and xm.
I will definitely take some new pics and post in a day or two :)

Here is a clear link to the horror stories of trying to discontinue Sirius Radio...
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/sirius.html
The ONLY positive reviews they have received out of HUNDREDS are from people who renewed their subscriptions. It would seem that when you are ready to stop using their service... you are very likely to be lied to and cheated.
David

I've also had issues with Sirius XM. On another car, I told them didn't want and to cancel, then afterwards when it died the wife said she'd like it so I called back and got a great rate for one year. I told them I only wanted the year and did not want it to renew.

Low and behold the next year it auto renewed at nearly 3 times the rate and it took me 3 months to get it cancelled and my money back.

I've also had issues with Sirius XM. On another car, I told them didn't want and to cancel, then afterwards when it died the wife said she'd like it so I called back and got a great rate for one year. I told them I only wanted the year and did not want it to renew.

Low and behold the next year it auto renewed at nearly 3 times the rate and it took me 3 months to get it cancelled and my money back.

Clearly, that is your wife's fault... ;-)

I must admit, I have had nothing but positive experiences with them for my personal vehicles, but I have heard many stories of challenges from others.. Of course, now that I think about it, I subscribe to it so haven't tried to cancel yet, maybe that is why I still like them...

C7 Driver - I had the same situation and called OnStar and explained.
When I get the car out in the spring, Press OnStar twice and the 6 month trial starts then.
Have not had a conversation with Sirius, but keep in mind that voice activation can handle 4,000 songs on a stick.
Good Luck

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.