ojamali

Mar 29, 2014
Canada
VetteCoins
Car
CORVETTE C7
Many of you probably already know that OnStar services utilize 2G hardware to deliver its services. As 2G is being phased out across Canada in order for one to continue using OnStar services in Canada all vehicles with 2G equipment will need to be upgraded to 3G or 4G OnStar equipment.

OnStar has started sending letters/emails to the registered owners of affected vehicles inviting them to this upgrade. For 2013 and older vehicles there may be a partial charge for the hardware upgrade and installation or possibly a requirement to subscribe to an annual service plan.

However, the 2014 C7 does qualify for a completely FREE 4G LTE hardware upgrade and installation. You will need to wait till you receive the invite to upgrade or login to your OnStar account to get more details. This hardware upgrade will add the wifi hotspot feature to your C7 which is currently standard on the 2015 C7's.

QUOTE:
OnStar services, including 2014 OnStar RemoteLink Key Fob Services (RLKFS), will be available in Canada for as long as there is a compatible wireless network that supports a 2G CDMA connection. In order to continue to receive OnStar services without interruption, your vehicle will need a hardware upgrade. The hardware upgrade will be available at no additional charge. If you do not participate in a hardware upgrade, you will be unable to obtain OnStar services if your vehicle is in areas where 2G CDMA network services are decommissioned by the wireless service provider. If you participate in the hardware upgrade program, your complimentary RLKFS will continue for the remainder of the five-year coverage, which begins on the delivery date of your new 2014 model year vehicle. All other OnStar services will continue according to the terms of the OnStar Service Agreement.

OnStar will contact you to provide hardware upgrade details in advance of the Canadian wireless network changes. If you do not hear from OnStar, please contact OnStar at 1-888-4ONSTAR.
END QUOTE

Keep an eye out for this FREE upgrade guys. I am told that the new 4G LTE hardware is a lot more secure and takes away a lot of vulnerabilities of the older 2G hardware.

FYI the hotspot feature allows you to connect upto 7 wifi devices at a time and there is no roaming charges should you drive down south of the border. I use the hotspot and the remote link app on my vehicle every day and find it very useful!

I’m late to the party. I just purchased my 2014 corvette last August. I live in Texas. Obviously 2/3g is now long gone. OnStar says to use their app. I’m not too interested in that but my question is, do I need to be able to connect my car to WiFi in some fashion to receive updates or is my only option to go to a dealer to have them check to see if I need updates ? The car has been a garage queen and only has 8k miles on it. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I’m late to the party. I just purchased my 2014 corvette last August. I live in Texas. Obviously 2/3g is now long gone. OnStar says to use their app. I’m not too interested in that but my question is, do I need to be able to connect my car to WiFi in some fashion to receive updates or is my only option to go to a dealer to have them check to see if I need updates ? The car has been a garage queen and only has 8k miles on it. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum. Not sure what updates you are referring to? I have a 2015 and the only update it has ever got was a picture quality update to the PDR.

The 14 did not have a PDR but it did have a 2g system that powered OnStar and could connect to local WiFi at home for software updates. In 2022, cellular carriers discontinued service at 2 and 3 g. So my OnStar connectivity is gone but the bigger issue to me is that I cannot connect the car to the internet for updates. I think maybe the dealer can do that. I am hoping that GM will have some alternate method to allow me to connect my car to the internet. Nothing I can find so far has been done for that.
Thanks for replying.

Reactions: Dik and Rruuff Day
The 14 did not have a PDR but it did have a 2g system that powered OnStar and could connect to local WiFi at home for software updates. In 2022, cellular carriers discontinued service at 2 and 3 g. So my OnStar connectivity is gone but the bigger issue to me is that I cannot connect the car to the internet for updates. I think maybe the dealer can do that. I am hoping that GM will have some alternate method to allow me to connect my car to the internet. Nothing I can find so far has been done for that.
Thanks for replying.
Let us know how you make out. :thumbs:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread