Regular
Dec 26, 2012
St. Albert, AB
VetteCoins
Car
2023 HTC
Province
AB
I'm in the process of signing the bill of sale from the dealer on my 2023 and they placed a restriction on me selling my vehicle for one year.
If I want to see my car within the first year it has to go back to the dealer. After the 12 months I can sell it outright. I have zero intentions to sell it, but....
Is this legal for the dealer to be able to ask of this?

I'm in the process of signing the bill of sale from the dealer on my 2023 and they placed a restriction on me selling my vehicle for one year.
If I want to see my car within the first year it has to go back to the dealer. After the 12 months I can sell it outright. I have zero intentions to sell it, but....
Is this legal for the dealer to be able to ask of this?
yes its legal to ask, and you can refuse to buy the vehicle if you don't agree. Its been said by few people/dealers that if you sell your C8 before 1 year is up GM can potentially blacklist you from buying future GM vehicles.

there has been reports of dealers placing $1 leans on C8s for 1 year to prevent resale

Reactions: kerry4
They learned that tactic from taking all that Canadian Bail Out Cash and doing with it what they wanted. Someone from GM thought they should protect themselves from such financial laxness and thus we have a "can't sell Corvette" policy. Blacklisted by GM? Would certainly break my heart.

• Agree
Reactions: OL Yeller
They learned that tactic from taking all that Canadian Bail Out Cash and doing with it what they wanted. Someone from GM thought they should protect themselves from such financial laxness and thus we have a "can't sell Corvette" policy. Blacklisted by GM? Would certainly break my heart.
i think its should of been like this from the start to prevent flippers and importers from getting multiple C8s while enthusiasts wait

NO it is not legal as they are imposing a term of the contract by foisting it upon the purchaser and the courts in,alberta might not allow the term to stand up in,court

having said that just sign, mine said 6 months I think

we are looking at a 4Runner and they said we give them 10 grand to hold for 6 months and then they give it back
told them to pound sand and suck my halloween candy
dealers trying to play big shot, Toyota on the trail wanted to make money on 10 grand for 6 months and what happens when they go broke

told them to place it in a lawyers trust account and give me 5.25 internet on the money and then ok
sales manager could not speak

clowns almost all of them

BUT bottom line just sign, get your car and join us in the summer fun

it is no doubt a answer by the dealers to amvic folks flipping the cars by exporting issues

got my 2022 as a amvic registered individual got caught before the ink dried and denied the sale of the car to him or his wife

delaer called those on the list and no one wanted a 2lt so I got called as a previous customer and bought the car in 2 minutes on the phone

so a real problem with a somewhat real solution so that business can be conducted in a somewhat reasonable manner

funny strange workd we live in today

This "cannot sell" policy appears to be a moving target. For my 2020, it was "don't sell for a year AND unless you've got 12,000 km on the vehicle" with the mileage being a problem for Vette owners who drive their cars sparingly (ie. not me but for some, it could be several years before reaching 12,000 km). I've seen a copy of a signed "agreement" where the C8 buyer committed to not selling for a year, w/o any mention of mileage. Then I've heard of a 6 month prohibition from several people, as mentioned by Jeffer2013. I've also heard that GM's main concern is a Canadian-sold car being quickly resold in the States for a huge profit (increased due to the exchange rate) and only those deals will get you blacklisted. The 2 dealers I've purchased from (2020 and 2023), told me they'd be penalized if someone sold within a year, by losing an allocation, so they carefully "vetted" (pardon the pun) all buyers. Then we have the US initial announcement that C8 Z06 purchasers would get $5,000 GM bucks if they kept their Z06's for a year, later changed to 6 months...with that same incentive not applying to Canada, which is odd. I can't wait until all these weird restrictive "rules" disappear...

Porsche Canada has been doing this for years and I actually took them to court and won. But will I see another GT car again? Nope. GM will do the same to anyone who sells their C8 within the year regardless of mileage. I have a friend who sold his C8 after 4 months to a local guy here in Toronto who still has it and he's not been blacklisted...I believe its only when the car crosses the border.

Loads of manufacturers are putting $1 or $10 liens on cars and I question the legality on that. If you don't like it they will tell you to pound sand...unless you are a major player with their dealership.

GM subsidizes our C8s here so its only smart that they protect themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: Murray20c8
Did you say ANY price? Hmmm .....

Screenshot_20230216-174829.png

My dealership placed a 1 dollar lien on my car which they said would be removed after one year. I knew about the 1 year or 12K selling restriction when I ordered the car but the lien was a last minute deal that really caught me off guard. Not that I am planning to sell anytime soon but it really changes the tone of your relationship with a dealership when they change the terms like that.
I no longer see the need for it given the prices in the US right now and the fact that a Canadian car would have no warranty there. So the profit margin would likely be thin at best.
I talked to GM Canada and OMVIC and they could do nothing about it. In the end I had the dealership sign a document clarifying the intent, rights and obligations surrounding the lien and they were happy to do so. So it all worked out. I would not lose sleep over it.

Reactions: Murray20c8
yes its legal to ask, and you can refuse to buy the vehicle if you don't agree. Its been said by few people/dealers that if you sell your C8 before 1 year is up GM can potentially blacklist you from buying future GM vehicles.

there has been reports of dealers placing $1 leans on C8s for 1 year to prevent resale
Would that include if you traded it back in at the dealership to buy another one? Like a Z06? I usually trade my vehicles in to avoid the hassle of selling private. Last time I sold private it was my 911 Porsche. The guy who bought it for his wife was a pain in the ass. Kept calling and emailing me about stupid stuff. Even asked me about a small squeak he heard later. I stop replying finally.

Would that include if you traded it back in at the dealership to buy another one? Like a Z06? I usually trade my vehicles in to avoid the hassle of selling private. Last time I sold private it was my 911 Porsche. The guy who bought it for his wife was a pain in the ass. Kept calling and emailing me about stupid stuff. Even asked me about a small squeak he heard later. I stop replying finally.
I don't know, but I would think that trading it in to the same dealer would be excluded

Reactions: kerry4
It's funny how its only certain dealerships (Brian Cullen) doing it, not every dealership is putting liens on the cars. Def puts a sour taste in your mouth. Funny dealerships can put MARKET Adjustments on hard to get cars and thats ok, I wait my 18 months and they put a lien on my car. Anyhow cars gone and a new one ordered at another dealership who doesn't put liens on them and is totally up front. Not oh by the way we are putting a lien on the car when you go sign the paper work. There was never a talk about a lien put on the car when I put my deposit on it.