MY21C8

Regular
You're a Regular You're Celebrated You're Liked Hot Chilli
Nov 19, 2020
VetteCoins
So who is sticking with On Star? I’m trying to understand the value and benefits of this service. Did you guys and gals continue on with the service after the promotion period was over?

Don't get me started on that crap! I have CAA and it's a little less than 250 per year for 2 people. It's thousands for OnStar for 2 cars! Ridiculous!
After you cancel OnStar a message is heard once a month telling you that OnStar is limited or some such. With my 2014 Malibu an annoying message would come on LOUD once a day saying something similar. I had to escalate the call twice to get the crap off my car!

Actually just reviewed the service as the dealership had to call me to do the initial set up call from the car. I was that disinterested ! If they had not called me I would never initiated the call.
Yikes, Murray your right, it is outrageously priced, overlaps services you may already have at a fraction of the cost and considering the vehicle will not be on the road for 6 months every year, I am not even remotely interested. Won’t even get the 2 months free as they want your credit card and can’t be bugged to call to cancel the service and get a sales pitch which I don’t want to listen to.
I got the car, that’s all I wanted .

Don't get me started on that crap! I have CAA and it's a little less than 250 per year for 2 people. It's thousands for OnStar for 2 cars! Ridiculous!
After you cancel OnStar a message is heard once a month telling you that OnStar is limited or some such. With my 2014 Malibu an annoying message would come on LOUD once a day saying something similar. I had to escalate the call twice to get the crap off my car!
I have CAA as well. This is why I ask. The only benefit I can find at this time is the data plan but you can’t get that as a stand alone. Freedom mobile isn’t great up North.

Yeah, it's a money grab. I didn't sign up. Even CAA is pricey ... if you shop around, some credit cards provide emergency roadside assistance for free with their card perks.

The LOUD message was a bit much.OnStar has 2 plans, I am going to try the less expensive one. Current info coming up is helpful on my C8.
Current info? I don't have OnStar, but I get a health report once a month from them. Tire pressures etc. Is that what you mean?

I personally wish it could physically be removed entirely from the vehicle, ala Tony Soprano style.... LOL Tony Soprano removes OnStar from his Cadillac . But seriously, the owner should be able to completely disable any tracking/monitoring features they wish (of course, accepting that some "convenience" will be lost). I may be a bit paranoid, but, I do work in the field of Cyber Security (I know what fed departments are seeing our data), and I use Faraday bags for my devices all the time when travelling on personal business, especially out of country. LOL, I still have "burner" phones from various countries from my previous job that stay turned off and stored safely, that, for some reason, I can't seem to bring myself to destroy....... maybe one day I'll trust outsiders again,..... maybe.

I have it, had it for years, I like it.
Accident assistance..
roadside assistance, Used it a couple of times..free towing, flat deck no bill.
stolen car assistance, Recovered our neighbour’s car.
remote key unlock, never used …..YET!
hands-free phone. Although most cars nowadays have bluetooth link to your cell.
Phone minutes are cheaper now than they used to be.
I often arrange for free minutes.
When you pay for a year of ONSTAR you can get a couple of months of service free.
If you park your vehicle for a length of time you can call to have your contract put ‘on-hold’
during that time. No cost. I have a vehicle that I put on-hold for the summer and another put on-hold for the winter. So a 1 year contract can actually last two years.

ONSTAR is like insurance… it appeals to everyone at different levels.

graham

Reactions: Vetteboy21
So who is sticking with On Star? I’m trying to understand the value and benefits of this service. Did you guys and gals continue on with the service after the promotion period was over?
I have used OnStar twice. Once for a lock out far from home, the second one when an idiot pulled out of a blind driveway and broadsided my C6. It was a right off but OnStar was stellar! Will never be without it! All the benefits of the reply from Graham above.

Reactions: nascar03
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.