Aug 25, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Stingray
Province
ON
Hi,

Just checking to see what people are paying for On Star.

• What is the best price that you have received and renewed
  • Can you suspend service for the winter approximately 5 months

Also the same questions for Sirius radio. Thank you and know any help is appreciated...

Jeff

Reactions: YFCvii
I might not be very helpful ...

I was happy to be able to waive both services at the point-of-purchase
for all 5 of my current vehicles & XM/Sirius for my boat.
I still get basic GM onstar service for the initial 5 years without
any obligation (it is apparently a GM value-added service included in
the purchase price of all equipped new vehicles).

I learned over time with many new vehicles that I previously purchased, Onstar
and Sirius/XM customer retention will continue to call after service expires
with a lower price each time they call. They will only renew with a
credit card and put-in-place an automatic highest-price renewal each year after that.
Calling to stop credit card charges is frustrating to say the least.
It's an unneeded and ridiculous circus they put you through annually
as they will never offer their best renewal price up front.

Life is very peaceful without it and I have been able to make good with other options.

Last edited:
I pay $10.49 for basic OnStar service. I suspend it for 6 months over the winter. I do not subscribe to Sirius Radio but had one of our US vehicles serviced while we were there and they gave me 3 months of "free" radio. Don't listen to it and it will expire while we are back in Canada for the summer.

Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
I suspend my Sirius Radio for 5 mos of the year. When I renew the service (I cant recall exactly how much I pay) it isn't all that much as to keep you they will offer a ridiculous low price. And if you cancel early they will credit the remaining dollar value for your next renewal..... I may be a minority but I really enjoy the variety of music genres and the best part is no commercials! As with what SN3 has said, my Onstar is just basic and will not renew.

Got Sirius with the vehicle and renewed once after as they low balled the price as mentioned above. Haven't bothered since as I now have over 1100 songs on my USB. All with no commercials. LOL
Set it to shuffle and very rare I will hear the same song in a trip. Added plus is that they are only songs that I like. Not all songs that I like are on there as some I would not really want to listen to more than once in a while.
Play this one every time I get the car out for summer - in two days May 1st
Great video clips with the song by the way.

I have basic ONSTAR in a couple of vehicles.
The Equinox is only driven in the winter and the Monte Carlo is only driven in the summer.
The service is ‘on-hold‘ it when the vehicles are parked.
I have SIRIUS in the Equinox but I only buy that for 6 months at a time @ $5/month.
SIRIUS does do that ‘auto’ re-activation at full-price, that can be a pain if you do not contact them. ONSTAR doesn’t seem to do that auto-pay for me.

The ONSTAR thing for me is valid from a theft point of view, as well as some other minor features.
It has also worked for me a couple of times where the car needed to be towed at their expense.

graham

My deal is usually $24/mon.
They usually offer that if you pay 2-years ahead they give me a couple of months free.
I also try and get some free phone minutes as well. I have been given from 30 - 100 minutes as a returning customer.
’Parking’ the account for 6-months/year certainly helps.
Paying for two years only hurts once, but lasts me for four years..
Keeping track of ONSTAR & SIRIUS payment dates, expiry dates, phone minutes expiry, etc can be a full-time job. I have it all figured out in a spreadsheet with my car records.

good luck.
graham

Hi,

Just checking to see what people are paying for On Star.

• What is the best price that you have received and renewed
  • Can you suspend service for the winter approximately 5 months

Also the same questions for Sirius radio. Thank you and know any help is appreciated...

Jeff

We have had 2 cars on both OnStar and XM/Sirius for 12+ years (2014 Corvette Z51 and 2018 Cadillac ATS-V coupe). We just renewed OnStar GUIDANCE plan on the C7 for $18.99 monthly (was 'suspended' for 6 months). We have XM/Sirius on both cars at annual flat fees. We have driven several Corvettes for 21 years on long NCRS Road Tours all over the U.S., so the OnStar plan was felt to be a vital tool for us.

Reactions: nascar03
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.