Nov 7, 2011
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
1988 Z-51
I ordered an oil pan that was suppose to fit my 88 l98. After the PITA of a job getting the old one out I proceeded to put the new one in, see photo left side silver color. There was no way making this thing fit short of hoisting out the engine. Then I though the pans made in China and probably wouldn't hold the right amount of oil anyways. So I took the original and machined out the old leaking threads and welded a new threaded bushing then tested for leaks. Then got it powder coated the same as my fram filters, the ones with the easy grip so they match. It was allot of work but worked out fine in the end and I'm enjoying a clean dry engine now.

Cheers

Attachments

• chinese oil pan.jpg
    chinese oil pan.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 8
  • oil pan refurbished.jpg
    oil pan refurbished.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 8
  • oilpanrefurbished2.jpg
    oilpanrefurbished2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 7
You got an oil pan for a 'vette made in China??? Tell me you're kidding.:eek:

If you're not kidding, where did you get it from (just for information sakes)?

C.

I ordered it off Summit. They had a few price points so I ordered the cheapest thinking I could save a few bucks. The pan was specific for my car, or so they said. The only way I could make it fit was with the engine out of the car. At which point I came to my senses and refurbished the original. Oh, bye the way I got burned again recently when I bought a wheel bearing assembly off ebay for my daily driver. It was brand new but after only about three months the bearing seized. Again made in China...Lesson learned.:swear:

I ordered it off Summit. They had a few price points so I ordered the cheapest thinking I could save a few bucks. The pan was specific for my car, or so they said. The only way I could make it fit was with the engine out of the car. At which point I came to my senses and refurbished the original. Oh, bye the way I got burned again recently when I bought a wheel bearing assembly off ebay for my daily driver. It was brand new but after only about three months the bearing seized. Again made in China...Lesson learned.:swear:

Geez -- This issue of Asian made stuff keeps rearing it's ugly head -- time and time again.
Yeah there sure is a lesson to be learned. Sure they can make stuff cheaper, who couldn't by paying $.50 an hour (or is that per day :rolleyes:) -- but is it any good? -- Looks like in a lot of cases it's not any good,

Comes to mind the issue of what turns out to be Asian made parts in the U.S. national defense systems -- and those are knockoffs with made in U.S. on 'em.

If the truth be known, our systems are subject to the same problems.

Looks like we better start buying domestic from people we know and trust -- Might cost a little more but it will help our economy and jobs, and we'll actually get some longevity and usage out of the parts.

Thanks for sharing. For us is was a cheap lesson. For you, is cost a little more.

Cheers,
C.

Last edited:
I deal with many Asian suppliers and I've found that the products they produce are only engineered for the minimum standard to minimize cost. The purchasing company must be very specific to ensure that their minimum standards are sufficient to meet the demands of the marketplace. YOU TRULY DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

I deal with many Asian suppliers and I've found that the products they produce are only engineered for the minimum standard to minimize cost. The purchasing company must be very specific to ensure that their minimum standards are sufficient to meet the demands of the marketplace. YOU TRULY DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

What bothers me more lately, tho Terry, is that it seems some of these parts that you assume are made in the good old US of A aren't and actually made in China with made in US stamped on them.

Cheap knock offs.

I'm wondering how much of a problem this really is.

There's not been many details lately on the news.

C.

Vette made in China? That has got to be rare!:D

On thing I head about sourcing items from China is that the first few items will be good and up to spec, then once the QC guys over here are happy and no longer looking, the manufacturers over there get their engineers on board to see where they can make shortcuts (such as materials) to save costs.:eek:

Vette made in China? That has got to be rare!:D

On thing I head about sourcing items from China is that the first few items will be good and up to spec, then once the QC guys over here are happy and no longer looking, the manufacturers over there get their engineers on board to see where they can make shortcuts (such as materials) to save costs.:eek:

Shameful if true that QC is lacking......:mad:

If this keeps up all our NA suppliers will be out of business and the only source of anything will be Asia. :confused:

Sounds rather drastic doesn't it -- but you can bet that's the objective.

Our QC better start doing a better job then and we better start supporting N/A industry.
BTW, I'm the first in line to get a good deal so I'm by no means pointing the finger at anyone but myself for favouring cheap. But I do think everyone on this side of the Atlantic needs to rethink purchases.
I know I'm going to at least think about it from now on.

That bumper sticker that we see occasionally:

Out of a Job yet? Keep buying Foreign.

is really starting to sink in.:)

Food for thought.

C.

Apparently according to this they make copies of cars too:

Automotive industry in the People's Republic of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Having worked on cars, and from experience, I now avoid cheap parts that are in abundance like wheel bearings, tie rods, and ball joints. You pay a little more but at least don't have to repeat the same job a couple/few months later.

Wow, talk about "The Yellow Tide" .......

No disrespect intended -- but it seems to be a fact.

I want a Dongfeng (Eastwind) EQ2050!

Oh, we won't be buying from China forever. As they develop as a nation and grow more like NA, so will the wages and cost of living so they won't be able to offer the items as cheaply as they used to. Therefore, all our cheap goods will start coming from India as China becomes too expensive. And what happens if India starts to develop and is no longer a third world country? There is always Africa.:D

I'm a little doubtful about buying anything from there or anywhere near there.
More and more people are looking for made in North America now -- I think I'll be one of them (and hope that it's not a knock-off:rolleyes:)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.