R

RockyPM

Hey everyoone, while getting my spring service and once over done the dealership let me know that my oil pan gasket was leaking. Now I know it's been seeping for a couple of years but no oil on the garage floor and never a need to add between oil changes. Was suggested last year that when I do it to replace the lines to the oil cooler up front as well. The car is 14 years old so I'm considering to get it done.
Is $1,200 a good price to replace the gasket and oil lines to the rad? Thanks in advance.

Hey everyoone, while getting my spring service and once over done the dealership let me know that my oil pan gasket was leaking. Now I know it's been seeping for a couple of years but no oil on the garage floor and never a need to add between oil changes. Was suggested last year that when I do it to replace the lines to the oil cooler up front as well. The car is 14 years old so I'm considering to get it done.
Is $1,200 a good price to replace the gasket and oil lines to the rad? Thanks in advance.

Not that I know squat Paul but $ 1200.00 in this day and age doesn't get you much more than a couple full tanks of premium gas. I would expect the dealer is giving you the book flat rate estimate so probably pretty close to the price you'd get from any dealer or pro shop.

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
Agree Eric. I checked with our local mechanic and his hurly rate and hours listed equal this total and don’t included the bolts. Think I’m going to for the dealership quote and get it done.

Agree Eric. I checked with our local mechanic and his hurly rate and hours listed equal this total and don’t included the bolts. Think I’m going to for the dealership quote and get it done.
question..how can oil pan be leaking with nothing on floor and not loosing oil. My 06 oil pan is sweating and may for the next 10 yrs. Make sure it is a must to replace...good luck.

Reactions: Bixter44
Thanks Tim, it's all in the terminology and I like yours much better. It's only on the passenger side of the pan at the back. Pan is just a bit dirty with dust covering it. I crawled under the car last year to take a look for myself. I know, there is no marks on the garage floor and I do not add oil between changes. Thinking I just want to keep an eye on it but only concern is the Corvette Caravan journey that I don't want to have a major problem on the road. about 9,000 km.

• Agree
Thanks Tim, it's all in the terminology and I like yours much better. It's only on the passenger side of the pan at the back. Pan is just a bit dirty with dust covering it. I crawled under the car last year to take a look for myself. I know, there is no marks on the garage floor and I do not add oil between changes. Thinking I just want to keep an eye on it but only concern is the Corvette Caravan journey that I don't want to have a major problem on the road. about 9,000 km.
Lets put it this way.....keep an eye on it like I am doing...Mr. Lube told me to let it go....sweating with not a drop on the garage floor nor not loosing a drop I believe is a good gamble. We all watch our Corvettes like hawks..right...maybe ask a friend who has a hoist and get his opinion...Does not sound like a dripping leak? Mine is an 06 coupe and sweating can be common...Hope this helps before you have to spend momey unless a must. take care

• Agree
Reactions: RockyPM

My experience with seepage/sweat is two part Paul. Wipe it down and make sure it's not just dust on the spilled oil from your last oil change... Second part (if it is oil seepage), is someday it will turn into one drop on the floor... then it will turn into several drops.... At some point (and hopefully not in Bowling Green, someone will say..."nice car, shame theres a pool of oil underneath".... lol... hopefully that doesn't happen.

I had mine replaced on the 08 a couple of years ago, and yes no leaks. The replacement is a good idea as I found with the old gasket there were some flat spots that could create leaks in the future. The cost appears to be about right. Would Graham be interested in replacing the Gasket for you?

Clean it and monitor.....wouldn’t change it. Put a socket on all the oil pan bolts and “snug” them up. A sweating oil pan won’t cause you any major problems on your trip.

I agree Vagas1500. Clean it up, snug the bolts and monitor it. I have done this on my 07 Avalanche and still not dripping at 200000km.

• Informative
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.