Casual User
Mar 17, 2015
Calgary
VetteCoins
Car
2015 Z51
Province
AB
When I parked my C7 last fall, the engine oil monitor indicated 59% oil life remaining. Over the winter this number dropped to 10% without ever being started. I'm getting the oil changed Monday and will ask the dealership about this, but in the meantime I'm curious if any one else has had a similar experience with this?

Reactions: MiroB
It is normal. While on the 2 year inclusive oil changes ... no big deal as there's one spring and one fall oil renew done in order to get it ... once the program ends ... well ... I'm not sure if just a spring oil renew is all that's needed as I can imagine it would be OK. I'm OK with it dropping to zero over the winter storage as it goes directly for an oil renew in the Spring regardless. I think I'm gonna have a chat with @turbozig though ....

Hey @Miagi , why don't you get that oil changed right now ...
meet up with me at Deefoot Mall by 7am and go for a cruise to Ponoka for the Day tomorrow ???
Event - 6th Annual Ponoka Meet and Greet - May 12th
I promise I'll try not be one of @Jeffer2013 old grumpy guys that me mentions above ... ;)

Reactions: MiroB
It is normal. While on the 2 year inclusive oil changes ... no big deal as there's one spring and one fall oil renew done in order to get it ... once the program ends ... well ... I'm not sure if just a spring oil renew is all that's needed as I can imagine it would be OK. I'm OK with it dropping to zero over the winter storage as it goes directly for an oil renew in the Spring regardless. I think I'm gonna have a chat with @turbozig though ....

Hey @Miagi , why don't you get that oil changed right now ...
meet up with me at Deefoot Mall by 7am and go for a cruise to Ponoka for the Day tomorrow ???
Event - 6th Annual Ponoka Meet and Greet - May 12th
I promise I'll try not be one of @Jeffer2013 old grumpy guys that me mentions above ... ;)
sorry, cant get away tomorrow.

When I parked my C7 last fall, the engine oil monitor indicated 59% oil life remaining. Over the winter this number dropped to 10% without ever being started. I'm getting the oil changed Monday and will ask the dealership about this, but in the meantime I'm curious if any one else has had a similar experience with this?

Majgi this is directly out of the 17 Z06 manual. It states the oil life monitoring system works off how the car is driven. But later on it says the oil must be changed once per year.. so not clear if it is time factored.

In my case for the last 2 C7 Zs the oil life monitor stays the same all winter in storage. I use the Chevy App to keep an eye on the car over the winter so the oil life is something the app grabs and displays

You better check and make sure there isn’t a set of winter tires on your Vette that you didn’t put on.... :Biggrin:

Engine Oil Life System

When To Change Engine Oil

This vehicle has a computer that indicates when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on a combination of factors which include engine revolutions, engine temperature, and miles driven. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change is indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, the system must be reset every time the oil is changed.

Z06, Grand Sport, and Sting Ray with Z51 have a racetrack-ready dry sump engine lubrication system. This high performance system operates differently than a standard engine lubrication system and requires a special procedure when changing the engine oil and filter. See Engine Oil.

When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it indicates that an oil change is necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes on. Change the oil as soon as possible within the next 1 000 km (600 mi). It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for up to a year. The engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and, at this time, the system must be reset. Your dealer has trained service people who will perform this work and reset the system. It is also important to check the oil regularly over the course of an oil drain interval and keep it at the proper level.

If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 5 000 km (3,000 mi) since the last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed.

Dry Sump Engine Break-In Oil Change

If equipped with a dry sump engine, the initial oil and filter change must be performed at 800 km/500 mi. Follow the engine oil life system for every oil change thereafter.

How To Reset The Engine Oil Life System

Reset the system whenever the engine oil is changed so that the system can calculate the next engine oil change. To reset the system:

Scroll through the DIC Info Pages menu until the REMAINING OIL LIFE percentage is displayed. See Driver Information Center (DIC).

Press and hold the SEL button on the DIC while the Oil Life display is active. The oil life will change to 100%.

If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes back on when the vehicle is started, the engine oil life system has not reset. Repeat the procedure.

My Z06 today... same as the fall for oil life.
5D07892F-5E17-4499-B2CB-6709996CDC76.png

your welcome can you make it to Ponoka tomorrow

new people to meet and some old grumpy 😡 ones as well

Jeffer
Thanks for the reminder about the old miserable goats we meet by the dozens from Alberta who bring their old squeaky nuts & bolts to our beautiful okanagan in BC & act grumpy. We are happy when they all go home.

Another grump is Grand Forks car show pres...wow what a grump. We think he rolls in from the Alberta Sons of Freedom group out of the Ukraine. He be mean to my wife & throw her ballot in the trash can after he reads it then rips it up. Grumps are no fun...

We stay home & cruise our friendly parks. Local residents are all nice to us & like the cars. Ponoka . . .wish we can be there.

Attachments

• 20180421_160035.jpg
    20180421_160035.jpg
    941 KB · Views: 18
  • Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
@Miagi
Yes confirmed the oil life monitoring system goes by time as well.
I just got my car out this morning and the oil life dropped from 82% when I parked it to 40% when I started it this morning.
That Chevrolet app could use a bit of work...
7C7313A1-59B9-4C7D-9A6C-9A8310099A68.png

I put mine away at 91%. Took her out of the VetteCave yesterday morning at 46%.

When I put mine away it was at 95% and when I took it out it had dropped to 49%. Since I still have 2 more free oil changes , I'll just change it. The oil life monitor uses a combination of time and miles driven. But with a true synth oil I doubt there really is any degradation from sitting through the winter, the only danger would be moisture build up.

You can go into the DIC and reset the oil life monitor. But I figure with driving under 10K a year it is cheap insurance to put fresh oil in at the start of the season and a second in the last month before being put away for the winter.

Reactions: ddgermann
@Miagi
Yes confirmed the oil life monitoring system goes by time as well.
I just got my car out this morning and the oil life dropped from 82% when I parked it to 40% when I started it this morning.
That Chevrolet app could use a bit of work...
View attachment 16707
THe App uses On Star to pull the info from the car. If the car is in a garage/storage, the ON Star satellite probably can’t “see” your car and displays the last information it had on the system

• Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
THe App uses On Star to pull the info from the car. If the car is in a garage/storage, the ON Star satellite probably can’t “see” your car and displays the last information it had on the system

Onstar will pull info out of the car parked inside. It can and will use the cellular connection to do so if a satellite connection is not available. Actually an onstar Rep told me it uses cellular as default for this activity. This is not the same as your software updates to the system which uses WIFI either in your car, mobile phone or from your house if you’re close enough. When checking the status of the car with the app the cellular or sat connection will be used as the car requires. I check the car often when overseas. What does happen is the system times out after a couple weeks and you have to restart the car to reset it and get it to refresh the data. This is what occurs with both my 15 and 17. Kind of annoying.
It’s a great feature but the timing out part is. PITA.
Interesting subject as we get told different things from different “well informed sales experts”. Haha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.