scan

I'm New Here
Aug 16, 2017
toronto
VetteCoins
Car
corvette 2004
I have a 2004 which I drive from may 1 to October 31 and then store it for 6 months. If I put on only 5,000km during this time should I still change the oil before I store it. My current practice has always been I do a synthetic oil change before I put it away for storage so that in the spring it has fresh oil going through(rather than the old oil and gunk etc going through once I start it up) the engine as opposed to change it in the spring. However a mechanic rectory said that because I use the synthetic oil and you don’t put many km every year you could technically change the oil every 2 yrs. Thoughts on the two points oil change necessary and if so then when to do it before storing or after storage.

thanks.

Until last year I had always changed my oil/filter when I put the car away for the season. Last year I kept putting it off and the next thing you know it was spring! Changed it then. Oil and filter in the overall scheme of things is probably one of the least expensive maintenance items we do so changing it every year for me has been a no brainer. Just felt better about it being done and that all is fresh in the crankcase.

Good luck with your winterization program. Let us know what you decide.

I have a 2004 which I drive from may 1 to October 31 and then store it for 6 months. If I put on only 5,000km during this time should I still change the oil before I store it. My current practice has always been I do a synthetic oil change before I put it away for storage so that in the spring it has fresh oil going through(rather than the old oil and gunk etc going through once I start it up) the engine as opposed to change it in the spring. However a mechanic rectory said that because I use the synthetic oil and you don’t put many km every year you could technically change the oil every 2 yrs. Thoughts on the two points oil change necessary and if so then when to do it before storing or after storage.

thanks.
If you only put 1000km on, I would say leave it until spring but at 5000, that is due for an oil change anyway in my opinion. I only put about 3 to 4000 on a season but change it before I put it to sleep and then I'm good to go in the spring.

So glad to see I'm not the only one who hasn't put many K's on this year. My excuse, for only driving about 1000K's, is that I spent the summer refurbishing my old garage, new doors , windows, exterior cladding and siding, new ceiling and insulation. Finished just in time to store the vette in an much improved space.

So glad to see I'm not the only one who hasn't put many K's on this year. My excuse, for only driving about 1000K's, is that I spent the summer refurbishing my old garage, new doors , windows, exterior cladding and siding, new ceiling and insulation. Finished just in time to store the vette in an much improved space.
I have been travelling all summer for work so not much seat time for me this year. Hoping next season will be better.

I have been travelling all summer for work so not much seat time for me this year. Hoping next season will be better.
I am retired, but the me ,myself and I construction crew were pretty much 7 days a week, the garage was more project than I anticipated..... and I thought retirees didn't work (LOL)

When I got my 2020 C8 at the end of October 2020 it had only 600 kilometres on it when I had to store it for the winter. Break in period calls for 800 kilometres. When spring finally happened and I got it out on the dash it said it was time for an oil change. What the heck? The dealership told me oil changes go by miles or age of the oil. So when it tells me to change it I do it. I still got 62% left before an oil change. So winter isn't all that far off. It will get changed in the spring.

Attachments

• IMG_7143.PNG
    IMG_7143.PNG
    62.3 KB · Views: 7
I see the engine as the "heart" of the car and its most expensive component. For that reason, I like to err on the side of caution and change the oil/filter more often than even the manufacturer recommends, especially given the cost as mentioned by Black 03 Z06. I suppose it helps that I do it myself (unless it's a "freebee" offered by the manufacturer) and that I actually like doing it. Each to his/her own, however as a minimum and regardless of the mileage, I'm all for changing it at least once/year and just before parking it makes sense IMO. Up to you to decide.

Hum... I may be doing it wrong, but, since I only put abt 5000K/yr on the car I put it away without changing the oil. Yes, contaminants do build up even with low yearly milage being driven but I look at it this way..... Today's oils and filters are sooooo much better and not like those back in the muscle car era. And I bet we did not baby those cars as we do these cars. I know I didn't. First day my car goes back on the road it gets a fresh oil change and off we go to the races.... I store 2 cars in the winter and they both follow that routine, no issue with either one. I think it's just a preference or convenience of our choice.

I used to change my oils in my motorcycles and storage cars for the winter religiously. Maybe I just got old and lazy and left it until the spring. Haven't had a problem either way. Yes I do think the oils are better these days especially using synthetic oils. They tend to last longer. Heck last time I forgot to change the oils in my Harley ( it takes oil in three separate spots ) in the spring so did it in the fall before storage. The oils had to be 2 years old by then. Made no difference. Bike always ran like a charm. Plus Harley gives you a 7 year warranty and you can add another 7 years after the first one expires.

Attachments

• IMG_6912.JPG
    IMG_6912.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
The 2024 owners manual says to use Dexos R equivalent motor oil. I have seen it said that it should be Dexos 2 . I believe the recommended viscosity is 0w40 . What is the difference between the two? I linked to this from the manual itself and there appears to be two 0w40’s listed. Having seen several opinions on this I was curious if there is a definitive answer or at least a strong consensus. Bit of a confusing situation. Thanks.

The 2024 owners manual says to use Dexos R equivalent motor oil. I have seen it said that it should be Dexos 2 . I believe the recommended viscosity is 0w40 . What is the difference between the two? I linked to this from the manual itself and there appears to be two 0w40’s listed. Having seen several opinions on this I was curious if there is a definitive answer or at least a strong consensus. Bit of a confusing situation. Thanks.