Fire22

2 You're 10
Feb 6, 2009
Near Winnipeg
VetteCoins
Car
2001 coupe
Last winter I started building an oil catch can (I made 3). I finished up and have one installed on the car now with about 300km on it. Here are some pictures.

IMG_4832.jpg

This winter I would like to improve the look under the hood by changing the hoses and clamps on the catch can, I might even remove the red paint and polish it.
IMG_5264.jpg

I just used the existing M10 threaded holes in the cylinder head to mount it.
IMG_5265.jpg

IMG_5266.jpg

Here is the oil that was trapped and not put into the intake. This is about 300km worth of filtering.
IMG_5268.jpg

The can unscrews for easy inspection and cleaning.
IMG_5269.jpg

Sorry to not know a lot about the catch can, but where does the inlet hose come from and the outlet hose go? This may help my understanding of where the oil comes from and why we need one. Thanks! It looks awesome.

Sorry to not know a lot about the catch can, but where does the inlet hose come from and the outlet hose go? This may help my understanding of where the oil comes from and why we need one. Thanks! It looks awesome.

In simple terms, its a filter between the PCV valve and the intake. Engines produce internal pressure in the crank case area and it is relieved through the PCV system, it (internal gasses and oil mist) is piped through the PCV valve and into the intake manifold and used for combustion. The catch can helps remove some of the oil mist, the oil coalesces on the filter material and can internals and stays in the can. Some who have removed LS1 intake manifolds have noticed excessive oil buildup in the manifold, it comes from the PCV system.
The inlet hose is connected to the PCV valve and the outlet goes to the intake.
If you do a search on Oil Catch Cans you can get a better explanation and you can purchase them from different vendors. I was energetic, interested in a project and cheap so I built my own.

Hope this helps explain it.

WOW!, I think you may have missed your calling, you seem to have skills with your car that I can even dream of.

If your as good at your job as you are with the cars I think everyone in MB can sleep a little better.

Brent:canada:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.