jube455

jube455

Casual User
Jul 28, 2013
Martensville Sk
VetteCoins
Car
1976, hopefully
The current owner of the car I am going to look at this weekend told me the VIN of the car is 1237465436411. Looking around the web I've discovered that the VIN doesn't follow the pattern of other cars for 1976. I did a search on SGI's VIN look up, but it only goes back to 2002.
Is this a reassigned number due to a theft recovery, total loss, etc?

When I bought my car the bill of sale had the same problem. The Z looks like a 2 and the S looks like a 5. I think it was an honest mistake since I looked at the VIN too but didn't know the decode until after I bought the car. I would wager Buckhorn 76 is correct with the VIN. I had mine changed with SGI without much hassle. Get it sorted out before you buy to make sure the title is clean. They may want you to pay PST if it has never been registered in Sask. under the correct VIN but I would argue that with them for sure.

T

That looks like an honest typo. However there has been a lot of hanky panky with swapped VIN tags over the years and it pays to be careful. I wouldn't touch anything until THEY sort it out at the license bureau. It's not worth the hassle to get involved with some of this stuff.

The Z to 2 and S to 5 is a typical typo that occurred when paperwork was done by hand

I have good news. I contacted GM's Vintage Vehicle Services and gave them the odd serial number stating I believe there are typos in it. I received a fax this morning stating indeed there is a typo. Her records show a car with the same sequence number(last 6 digits), and the vin on file 1Z37X6S43641.

Thank you buckhorn76 and everyone else for showing me where the breadcrumb trail started. :):):)

I have good news. I contacted GM's Vintage Vehicle Services and gave them the odd serial number stating I believe there are typos in it. I received a fax this morning stating indeed there is a typo. Her records show a car with the same sequence number(last 6 digits), and the vin on file 1Z37X6S43641.

Thank you buckhorn76 and everyone else for showing me where the breadcrumb trail started. :):):)

good to hear, let's hope the car is what you have been looking for. :D

The car was nothing like he explained :( Paint was fish-eyed, I could see where the patch work was, door hinges were so bagged that the top of the window-glass hit the B-pillar, rad support cracked, the list goes on.
Oh well, just another page in my adventure :)

Too bad but I've been there. Must of looked at half a dozen over a span of several years before I found mine.

Lots of car out there. You will find many that are not what is described to you in ads. The search is half the fun.
If you are in a hurry and don't mind a C4,, have a look at Kent's car.

Lots of car out there. You will find many that are not what is described to you in ads. The search is half the fun.
If you are in a hurry and don't mind a C4,, have a look at Kent's car.

:agree: kent's 88 is truly beautiful and a lot of fun to drive with the doug nash 4
+3 manual transmission. unless you see the car in person it's hard to believe just how immaculate it is.

Great to know you didn't buy it then find all this stuff out afterwards! I don't know why people try to make their cars out to be better than it is. They should be embarrassed for wasting your time.

Best of luck on the rest of your search!!!! Looking forward to hearing you find the one!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.