marty

Casual User
Nov 5, 2016
Grande Prairie, AB
VetteCoins
Car
1998 Z51 coupe
Hi fellas, Marty here.
I thought it was about time for me to introduce myself, I've been browsing the forms on and off for a few months. When I wasn't searching for my new Vette that is.
the Vette is part 2 of the dream duo. I managed to find the other 1/2 last fall. It's an '03 Silverado SS AWD. It has taken some time to finally have both of them.
I finally found one that ticked most of the boxes on my want list, A 98 Z51 targa top, stage 2 cam, headers, exhaust, intake, tune, a very nice interior and clean uncluttered ext. silver.
It is located in Ontario, for the moment.
I managed to get the deal done with the help of a friend and it is now waiting patiently for me at his place, just waiting for me. I have a flight booked April 24th, this is the longest 2 weeks.....AAaargghh!
Plan is to drive it home, taking my brother with for the trip, for a spare driver. not that I can really see being a passenger in my Vette, but may let him have a go. If he's nice... should be an amazing trip.
Previous owner said Manny installed a cam and some other goodies and put a tune on it. since his shop is only about 20 min off my route home I'm planning to stop in for a chat. other than that, are there any other stops you would recommend on the way home? thinking of the Tobermory ferry to Manituolin Island as part of the trip.
Will try to post some pics a soon as I can. I know how much you guys like pics. I'll have some of the trip home for sure.
cheers.

this is one of the pics I saved from the add. more to come.

$_27 e.jpg

Congrats on completion of the duo! Pics of the trip are required and we will all cheer you in here!

Congrats Marty. If you're cruisin past Ponoka on the way home on May 6, or just need an excuse for a run down from Grand Prairie, the Ponoka guys are putting on their annual Meet and Greet on that day... A great time and chance to meet a whole bunch of locals and also a few not so locals.... Details on the 403/780 forum section

thanks guys, been looking already for some stuff for it, haven't even driven it and i'm already parts shopping. first off I need the front license plate cover, then maybe a GS stripe. i'll have a few more ideas after I get it home.

yes Rruuff, may 6- 9:00 am at A&W red deer. marked it on my calendar already. maybe I can find someone from Edmonchuck to follow down there, didn't I see someone is from Spruce Grove?

glad to be here and hopefully I can make ponoka and meet some of you old farts in fast cars (I should fit right in!).

so, anyone know where I can find a front license cover? preferably in silver. I've been looking and find some oem ones for $200! or cheap plastic knock offs for $35.
was hoping to find a used takeoff somewhere but can't track one down.
AB doesn't run front plates so would like to keep the front nice and smooth and clean.
I will post a want add as soon as my post count is up a bit.

Welcome to the forum Marty ....
Congrats on your newest find to your Garage Collections ...
Road trips are the best adventure, when bring home another toy .... lol .

Welcome aboard, Marty! I like both of your choices! I have a Trailblazer SS as my other. :Cheers2:

I predict that your weather on the way home will be excellent if you are going to go stateside all the way. Although the Trans-Canada is scenic through Ontario until you get past Lake Superior, it will assuredly be in bad shape in northeastern Ontario and into Manitoba until at least Winnipeg. Expect for construction, undoubtedly. And I don't know about you, but I don't like putting my Corvette on gravel. Stateside is cheaper, more scenic in that there is more man-made stuff to see. For the driver in me, I have found many more entertaining route options and much better pavement by going through the states.

I did enjoy northern Ontario although Manitoba and Saskatchewan are terribly boring (sorry to the members who live there), but I wouldn't recommend doing it in a sports car. If you do not want to cross the border though, go slow and be ready for anything. lol. Spring runoff, frost heaves, rockslides onto the road, not to mention a ton of wild animal activity. It's a big risk, so if you do plan to do it Canada side, at least plan your trip so that you drive during daylight, and don't drive in the dark at least through Ontario and Manitoba.

Have fun bringing it home and yes, post pictures!

Hi fellas, Marty here.
I thought it was about time for me to introduce myself, I've been browsing the forms on and off for a few months. When I wasn't searching for my new Vette that is.
the Vette is part 2 of the dream duo. I managed to find the other 1/2 last fall. It's an '03 Silverado SS AWD. It has taken some time to finally have both of them.
I finally found one that ticked most of the boxes on my want list, A 98 Z51 targa top, stage 2 cam, headers, exhaust, intake, tune, a very nice interior and clean uncluttered ext. silver.
It is located in Ontario, for the moment.
I managed to get the deal done with the help of a friend and it is now waiting patiently for me at his place, just waiting for me. I have a flight booked April 24th, this is the longest 2 weeks.....AAaargghh!
Plan is to drive it home, taking my brother with for the trip, for a spare driver. not that I can really see being a passenger in my Vette, but may let him have a go. If he's nice... should be an amazing trip.
Previous owner said Manny installed a cam and some other goodies and put a tune on it. since his shop is only about 20 min off my route home I'm planning to stop in for a chat. other than that, are there any other stops you would recommend on the way home? thinking of the Tobermory ferry to Manituolin Island as part of the trip.
Will try to post some pics a soon as I can. I know how much you guys like pics. I'll have some of the trip home for sure.
cheers.
Welcome to the new Vette owners club , I just got my first one in Jan. Had it stored at the dealer until I could trailer it home. Finally had my first run last Friday . Your car is beautiful and sounds like your going have quite the beast to drive around in ! Congratulations!

Last edited:
thanks everyone. this is gonna be a verrrryyy long weekend to wait. have to try keep busy, maybe give the SS a bath and wipe down the interior.

Monday is the flight, so Tuesday is driving day. weather is looking fairly nice so far, will be going trans Canada route home hopefully the construction zones and animals are few and far between. I've driven that route before, had a 20' trailer behind the Duramax full of my friends belongings, so it wasn't a very spirited drive.
The whole drive along the lakes I was thinking, 'man it would be awesome to do this in a sports car,' And now I can share the trip with my brother.

yes, Manitoba and Sask. will be fairly unexciting, We plan to be marathon tag team driving most of that, 6-8 hrs at a time is not too hard for me, I've done up to 17 with just fuel and food stops. Hoping the seats are somewhat comfortable.

more updates along the way.....
for now I leave you with a nice shot of my girls behind

$_27 d.jpg

one more thing I should take care of, in all the excitement of getting the car I neglected this.

A big shout out to the previous owner who was very accommodating throughout the process and logistics of actually getting the car to my friends place. A bit of a longer story than I will tell here, suffice to say it was more than expected.

He is a member here, although I don't think he's been on for a couple years. Manny did a bunch of work on the car for him. dgowland is his forum name. So thanks again Dave!!

Wheels up tomorrow afternoon!

Right on Marty! Take 'er easy, and if she's easy, take her twice! Oh right, not that kind of roadtrip, sorry!

Seriously though, have fun on your trip and be sure to share pictures!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.