Apr 3, 2017
toronto
VetteCoins
Car
2017 Corvette Z06
Hi All,

So yesterday I decided to have some fun with the car and test out it's capabilities (a little). What I noticed during some initial pulls was that the car was really squiggly at the back (which is a given when dealing with rwd + 650hp/tq). However, after sometime, the car started gripping great and it seemed as if the tires got better as they warmed up. Is this true or am I just hallucinating :p ? Perhaps the car's computer learns and adapts to driving behavior?

Karam, I would think that you are not hallucinating. Most times you heat up a tire the grip is better, drag racers have been going through drag slicks for decades trying to achieve maximum traction with their burnouts. You see the road racers and NASCAR guys weaving back and forth to build up heat in the tires and clean them off.

Sounds like you are starting to feel comfortable with your new car and I hope you enjoy it.

Reactions: Karam
Karam. Whether it's the Pilot SS or the Pilot Cup 2 tires on the car (and I'm thinking it's the Cup 2's), either tire is extremely soft rubber and are designed to get downright sticky when hot... Enjoy that sweet ride... But respect that power as well...:thumbs:

Reactions: turbozig and Karam
Supercar performance at a quarter of the cost of a Lamborghini Huracan :thumbs:

By the title of this thread i assume that you have the Pilot Super Sports.

Yes I have the Pilot Super Sports. Your statement regarding supercar performance at a fraction of the cost is indeed very true.

I was giving joy rides to a few of my friends this past weekend and they had unbelievable reactions. Most of them were terrified (in a good way) but almost all of them said the same thing: "This is like owning a personal roller coaster. It gives you the same tingly feeling in your stomach" :Woot:

The wiggle is a hint and it's good for you to notice it. What matters is how you keep control when experiencing it. Should you be considering the
Corvette Owners School (COS), they will answer that exact question in regard to the tires that are factory delivered with the C7 Corvette and handling.
There is one thing that should always be respected and that is when turning corners when tires are cool. You can wiggle even with slight acceleration
with cool tires when turning at intersections. The wiggle may be, in part, the traction control system which apparently will independently affect each wheel.
There was so much going on at that the COS and I hope I grabbed enough of the understanding to share in what you might be experiencing.
The racers in this forum may have much more to share about this. I've only tested the cold tire intersection turn since the school and woke up rather quickly.
The school tested us as the instructor sat beside adjusting the mode until there is no traction control. The affects were definitely impressive to learn.
The driving mode that you set your Corvette at plays a role too where it will allow (or lessen) the wiggle.
So I took away a little of the COS with hints for straight line acceleration. Straight line launch is a separate lesson.
Your friends are fortunate to experience the thrill of your Corvette. Even my closest friends get no such thing from me (sorry they have to get their own).
At the risk of being too much like a "dad", I am not going to lecture you to not do what you are doing but rather please be aware of your control at
every moment, operate without any compromise to safety and no 12 o'clock steering wheel holding (all COS lessons).
It is very apparent that you are enjoying your Corvette and I am rather impressed to see you writing about it with the wisdom to ask about everything
and anything. After all, there's nothing to fear here on the CCF! Thank you Karam.

Last edited:
Your friends are fortunate to experience the thrill of your Corvette. Even my closest friends get no such thing from me (sorry they have to get their own).

Hahahaha...By joy riding, I meant they were in the passenger seat haha...I won't be letting anyone else drive the Vette other than myself :p

And as for your other points, they are completely valid. I know what my driving limits are and therefore I only decide to have fun within those limits. It also depends on the time and space really. I am generally a very cautious driver (thankfully) :)

The reason I ask all these questions is because everyone on this forum is literally so amazing/helpful. Hopefully I can meet you all/some of you on some cruises/events :)

PS: I never drive with 12 o'clock steering wheel holding lol. That's for Vin Diesel :p

Reactions: YFCvii
Hahahaha...By joy riding, I meant they were in the passenger seat haha...I won't be letting anyone else drive the Vette other than myself :p

And as for your other points, they are completely valid. I know what my driving limits are and therefore I only decide to have fun within those limits. It also depends on the time and space really. I am generally a very cautious driver (thankfully) :)

The reason I ask all these questions is because everyone on this forum is literally so amazing/helpful. Hopefully I can meet you all/some of you on some cruises/events :)

PS: I never drive with 12 o'clock steering wheel holding lol. That's for Vin Diesel :p

Thanks Karam, All good to know ... :cool:
There are many on this Forum in your area (by that I guess I am actually clicheing Eastern Canada) whom I really would like to meet.
Being in my first year, I am still green to Ownership. I am having a lot of fun with my Stingray and enjoying many new friends.
By "joy ride" I also referred to the passenger seat for my friends too (lol). They do get to cruise with me - when they are good boys :angelic:.
My friends will have to buy their own however for the amusement park effect. :Woot:
Sorry with my "dad" lecture :Nono1: Karam, it likely feels better for me :happy: than a recipient o_O. I am grateful that you respect that. :blackeye:
It comes after watching yet another video last week of a "12 o'clock" driver prior to news of fatally crashing with his friend. :(
Cheers Bud! :thumbs:

Last edited:
Thanks Karam, All good to know ... :cool:
There are many on this Forum in your area (by that I guess I am actually clicheing Eastern Canada) whom I really would like to meet.
Being in my first year, I am still green to Ownership. I am having a lot of fun with my Stingray and enjoying many new friends.
By "joy ride" I also referred to the passenger seat for my friends too (lol). They do get to cruise with me - when they are good boys :angelic:.
My friends will have to buy their own however for the amusement park effect. :Woot:
Sorry with my "dad" lecture :Nono1: Karam, it likely feels better for me :happy: than a recipient o_O. I am grateful that you respect that. :blackeye:
It comes after watching yet another video last week of a "12 o'clock" driver prior to news of fatally crashing with his friend. :(
Cheers Bud! :thumbs:

All advice is appreciated as it is aimed to help me :)

One of my close friends actually moved to Calgary so I might be visiting in August/September. Might drive down to Banff, Lake Louise area. That was 1 thing I wish I didn't miss when I was in Fort McMurray for 8 months for an internship in 2012. I came to Calgary but didn't go to Banff area etc. Hopefully this time :)

All advice is appreciated as it is aimed to help me :)

One of my close friends actually moved to Calgary so I might be visiting in August/September. Might drive down to Banff, Lake Louise area. That was 1 thing I wish I didn't miss when I was in Fort McMurray for 8 months for an internship in 2012. I came to Calgary but didn't go to Banff area etc. Hopefully this time :)

Do Not hesitate to send me a message for this invitation if/when you come to Calgary.
We can spend an evening on my deck with at least one other Forum Member just to BS a bit.
We are wanting to head back to Lake Louise ourselves (as a sequel visit of our Lake Louise Cruise last weekend).
There is an awesome alternate (60km/hr) road to travel between Lake Louise and Banff as well ... it's a better experience for absorbing this area.
Cheers!

Do Not hesitate to send me a message for this invitation if/when you come to Calgary.
We can spend an evening on my deck with at least one other Forum Member just to BS a bit.
We are wanting to head back to Lake Louise ourselves (as a sequel visit of our Lake Louise Cruise last weekend).
There is an awesome alternate (60km/hr) road to travel between Lake Louise and Banff as well ... it's a better experience for absorbing this area.
Cheers!

Awesome :)

As far as i'm concerned a smart driver will not hold their wheel at 12 o clock postion. What is even worse is when people hold their wheel at 1 o clock postion with their left hand or at 11 o clock with their right :Banghead:
There is absolutely no arguing your point. Driving around, there are soooo many 12 o'clockers though.
If the video is still on the link below ... notice the 12 o'clock happiness with Mom's Graduation Rental Gift ...
just before he kills himself later that day (no seatbelt too). :Angelsad2:
Poor kid had a Parent give him a car that he was not educated in controlling on one of the greatest days in his young life.
This is what makes me state it over and over and never assume that everyone knows. I've even reminded my 80+ yr old Mom not to do it.
Internet News - [ACCIDENT] South Florida Teen Dies from Injuries in Prom Night Corvette Stingray Crash
But I sure do agree with you too !

Last edited:
@Karam

I think others have covered the tire questions but in essence:
Warm tire - better grip
Cold tire - no grip
Wet tire - no grip

The MPSS are very well rated tires, you just need to be careful until you get some heat in them.

As with all newcomers to high performance cars, go buy yourself into an HPDE event (High Performance Driving Events). Apex, BMW, Sixth Gear if they still do them are all really good organizers. You pay for the day, drive your car with an instructor part time and have a blast. You'll also learn invaluable lessons about physics, traction and the limits of your car. It's a win win for anyone young and old. Even experienced drivers need a refresher every now and again. PM me if you want more info but there are lots of events out at Mosport, Shannon and TMP out in Southern Ontario.

Local Autocross/slalom events are a great place to start.
They sometimes have slalom schools at the beginning of the season for the newcomers.
I find that the other competitors are most helpful. You can do ride-alongs and have them ride with you.
Check with your local Corvette clubs or other Motorsports clubs for scheduling.
One of the airports here has an area that is booked almost every weekend by various racing organizations.
There is also a couple of real tracks to get your speed ON!
Keep it on the Track.

Graham

Cheers!

That road is the 1A Spence (with no r)... Brenda and I took that route after we left the group at Moraine Lake... It's a great road... not much traffic and a great Corvette road...but I must have misread the sign... I'm sure it said 90 ... but I do transpose 9's for 6's occasionally... especially when I'm driving the Vette...:rolleyes:... it ends just before Banff and then we got back on it at Canmore and ran it East to 22 and then North to home.... Saw some elk and Brenda saw a black wolf on that road a few years back...

Reactions: Karam and YFCvii
@Karam

I think others have covered the tire questions but in essence:
Warm tire - better grip
Cold tire - no grip
Wet tire - no grip

The MPSS are very well rated tires, you just need to be careful until you get some heat in them.

As with all newcomers to high performance cars, go buy yourself into an HPDE event (High Performance Driving Events). Apex, BMW, Sixth Gear if they still do them are all really good organizers. You pay for the day, drive your car with an instructor part time and have a blast. You'll also learn invaluable lessons about physics, traction and the limits of your car. It's a win win for anyone young and old. Even experienced drivers need a refresher every now and again. PM me if you want more info but there are lots of events out at Mosport, Shannon and TMP out in Southern Ontario.

I did the Ron Fellows Spring Mountain 2 day course and came away with new knowledge and respect of the car. I highly suggest anyone that purchases one of these to take the course, could save a life. It is great to know the capabilities and limits of the cars and the tires. The tires speak to you when you corner, just be cautious when they start screaming too loud!

Reactions: Karam and YFCvii
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.