Apr 30, 2012
Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2005 C6 1SB
A couple of years ago, our Corvette decided not to start. It was working fine and then when out on a run, it decided not to start. Push the start button and there were some hums and clicks but not starter engagement. We costed down a grade and jump started it on the clutch. Turned out to be the battery, so we put in a new Delco unit. Now, it is doing the same thing again but won't even start when jumpered to a good battery. The mechanic that I use and trust is on holidays for another week. Anyone else had this problem?

• Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I would put my money on the battery again. It could be dead enough (basically close to a short circuit) to draw the majority of the current from a good battery to prevent the starter from getting enough juice. Just my 6x2cents however.

• Agree
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Sound like a dead battery again, but could also be the starter or the steering column lock, so would hesitate to replace the battery on spec without testing.

If you have a multimeter and can you see how many volts the battery has? If it has a shorted cell it will be well below 12V.

Most reputable shops and auto parts stores should be able to test a battery before selling you a new one, so if you can remove the battery you can can have it tested.

Do you have a battery charger or battery maintainer with a charge mode? If so, charge the battery, disconnect the charger for about 10 mins, and if you have less than 12-6-12.8 volts the battery is not taking a charge. After sitting for 24 hours, the battery should still be in the 12.6-12.8 range so if significantly less, it's not holding a charge.

It turns out that the load test showed a weak battery. We installed a new one this morning and all is well. Went for a drive, filled with gas and we are good to go. One little note. My wife mentioned that she was having a little trouble getting the passenger door to open for the past while. Now it is working fine too. Might just be an indicator of future battery problems. Murray, you are safe. I didn't tell Dale what you said and all is well there too. Thanks for the input from everyone on the problem. It is appreciated.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.