Jun 26, 2017
St. Thomas
VetteCoins
Well any help would be appreciated. I started my car and ran it. Started off the ignition.
Now I go to start it and I get nothing. I have done the usual get the light tester out and everything seems good. Ignition activated as would expect but still nothing. It is a little puzzling.

Check grounds. Starting take a lot of amperage but a test light does not. I light can light up with a questionable ground but when you go to start it will not. My car gave me all sorts of trouble for a while due to the ground going from the chassis to the engine and it was very hard to diagnose because of the meters and test light proving I had a connection still. They can also behave sparatic...one time it will wiggle just right to start...then next time no go.

T

• Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
Check grounds. Starting take a lot of amperage but a test light does not. I light can light up with a questionable ground but when you go to start it will not. My car gave me all sorts of trouble for a while due to the ground going from the chassis to the engine and it was very hard to diagnose because of the meters and test light proving I had a connection still. They can also behave sparatic...one time it will wiggle just right to start...then next time no go.

T

Thanks
What you are describing is kind of what happened

The one thing about these questions to help diagnose a mystery that makes me nuts. The majority of times the OP just never comes back to tell the rest of us, and ultimately help us, what the problem was.

Grumpy I would like to know what you found as well, must be fixed by now. Hope so.

Thanks
What you are describing is kind of what happened

The one thing about these questions to help diagnose a mystery that makes me nuts. The majority of times the OP just never comes back to tell the rest of us, and ultimately help us, what the problem was.

Grumpy I would like to know what you found as well, must be fixed by now. Hope so.
Totally agree Murray...Inquiring minds and all... Might help to 'quote' or 'reply' to the op's post though. Then at least he gets an alert even if he never comes back to this thread....might help...might not...

Nope it’s not fixed. I have tried to trace all the wires from several different wiring diagrams I have purchased. (Dr Rebuilds, Paragon Corvette). I have asked some people for help and we haven’t made much progress. I would love to be driving in my car but I am not. I have thought about taking it to a shop but diagnosing wiring can be a headache and really expensive.
So I continue to try and figure it out. Sorry didn’t get back to all soon. Just little frustrating and disappointing.

now this could be a bit hillbilly, but have you tried smacking the starter. older GM starters were pretty handy for dead spots and the occasional "stick". Could also be as simple as one loose connection. Tilt steering? sloppy feeling to the key cylinder?

Reactions: 72ray
Thanks for input. 1974 cars have a seatbelt belt relay which seems to be part of the problem. I bypass it with a jump wire and I can start the car. I put in the relay nothing. Bought a new relay $100 something and still nothing. Part of the problem in diagnosing is I still have some wires I have not been able to figure out where they go even from the wiring diagrams.

Reactions: 72ray
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.