Feb 22, 2011
Fort McMurray,Ab
VetteCoins
Car
2008 Pace car Conver
Stored car for winter put Genius battery minder/charger model G7400 on car everything was fine, checked on car early Jan everything good listened to stereo never started car forgot to unplug Genius so all lights were flashing error mode. Took it off battery waited a few minutes put it back on and walked away.
Checked it again end of Feb all lights flashing battery was dead and or frozen.
Returned gel battery for a new one left it in the house until today put small charger on new battery to make sure it was fully charged and installed in car.

Doors would not open, after getting in to car I had no power any where WTF no lights at all, no nothing lighter does not even work. Replaced battery's in key fobs
Battery is installed correctly checked twice

Is there a main fuse that controls power to whole car ?

Could the battery charger/minder screwed up the ecm ? ,,,,ouch :(

THAT SUCKS!!!!!! Sorry to hear about your car not working well for you. I am pulling my car out of storage tomorrow and have fingers crossed that everything will be ok.

If you don't hear from him today, send Manny (Nasty98) a PM or give him a call. He may have an answer for you.

figured it out

Finally had some time to look at it today new battery fully charged had a reading of 12.5 volts ... hmm a little low still no power anywhere battery should be around 13.5 I think. so before I started chasing wires down with a volt meter. Moved the diesel truck into action and a set of booster cables car fired right up everything works fine ...... Heading down town to return this gel battery Cdn tire or jam it up someones you know what......

i ahve changed the battery in my pickup 3 times in less than a year. i have never had good luck with any electrical parts from crappy tire. my battery was from there and it was a top end battery. i'm finished with ct and their warranties. i'm going someplace else for my next battery.

when I first had to replace it I was looking for a optima red top but no one in town had one so I figured this spiral grid gel battery from crappy tire was the way to go $194 but I am on my 3 rd one in 19 months
The one I just took back volt meter said 12.5 volts my so called smart battery charger said it was charged but it did go into an error mode twice.... Strange I will put the new one in on monday if there is another problem with it I am on the hunt for a red top

I am also at a bit of Oomph or power loss . Parked it in October ,full tank of gas with Sta-bil. gave it a Pennzoil oil change then too. Have had it out now about 5 times,and have gone through 2 tanks of fresh 94 octane gas. Last year when I gave it just a slight bit of gas it always astounded me with the instant pickup, was a beautiful feeling. Now it seems to be sluggish and am even afraid to pass at say 100kmph on the freeway, for fear it will take too long to get up enough speed. it only has 40,000 km on it yet. Aside from making sure the rad is clean and unobstructed and the air filter is clean, i can't think of anymore to do. Have even thrown in a very small bottle of fuel system cleaner and no change. Any other suggestions would be welcome. ( Sorry for the long thread).My 02 has aged years in just one winter.
Al..

Hmmm. Really interesting problem Al. All I can really think of would be the fuel filters. Maybe they need to be replaced? It's just funny that it's a quick change though, not something that slowly happened over time. Maybe send Manny a PM?

I have been tell people for the last couple of years that disconnecting the battery for storage is the only sure way it will retain its charge and your car will start in the spring . All those trickle and smart chargers are a waste of money .

Al , not sure what it could be . Are there any codes . Have the plugs and wires been changed ?

Manny

Have not done anything other than what I mentioned Manny. No codes are or have ever shown up. Only thing I can think of that the two times I filled up I used Chevron 94 which out here contains 10% ethanol. If that would do anything, I'm not sure. Maybe putting in a bottle of techron might help a bit?
I have a service manual, but that whole thing is like a disorganized flowchart after flowchart for almost everything. Thanks, but I will just persevere till I get there.Would a plugged fuel filter throw a code?
Al..

Have not done anything other than what I mentioned Manny. No codes are or have ever shown up. Only thing I can think of that the two times I filled up I used Chevron 94 which out here contains 10% ethanol. If that would do anything, I'm not sure. Maybe putting in a bottle of techron might help a bit?
I have a service manual, but that whole thing is like a disorganized flowchart after flowchart for almost everything. Thanks, but I will just persevere till I get there.Would a plugged fuel filter throw a code?
Al..

If the filter was plugged it would stall out . It might the gas or possibly the cats .

To me it probably is the gas as Manny says. Maybe after I burn the lot out and refill it hopefully it may return to normal. It just seems that at only 40,000 km the car should not be acting up yet (I hope). How many kms or miles are on your vette Riley? if I may be so bold to ask?

To me it probably is the gas as Manny says. Maybe after I burn the lot out and refill it hopefully it may return to normal. It just seems that at only 40,000 km the car should not be acting up yet (I hope). How many kms or miles are on your vette Riley? if I may be so bold to ask?

Be Bold! :D I think it has 116,000 km on it. I have a few bugs just starting to crawl out of the woodwork but until I clean my grounds, and do a couple basic things, I am not worrying about it.

Just thinking, wouldn't it be heaven if you had Manny as a close relative.

YES!!!!! Although I imagine he'd get tired of me always bugging him about Corvette stuff, sort of like being a hypochondriac with a doctor in the family. :D

Took here out for about a 250km run on Sunday with new gas in it and she is starting to come back to her old self. Only the gas mileage is down about 4 mpg compared to last years average at the same cruising speed.
When I thought about it it sure makes sense what Manny says about disconnecting the battery from the car while she is on a maintainer.With the battery still connected the computer is being fed electricity for six months and she is not doing any work at all just being fed low then high current, voltage etc. That would drive any poor computer to distraction.

T'was much ado about nothing in the end. Went for a long drive into States today, and she is back to her old glory and power. Have owned the car since last year July, but because of the Cags eliminator and the RP in the manual tranny, this was the first most enjoyable drive I had had yet. Have truly realized what a wondrous car this is to drive and also to look at. Felt very lucky to be able to own such a beautiful and powerful etc. beast.
And thanks Manny and Riley et al for your input and help about the original worry that I posted.
Al...
Feel like an 18 year again old when I bought my first red sports car.
And yes Riley the mileage is back to 35mpg on the highway.