Dec 21, 2017
Vancouver, B.C.
VetteCoins
Car
2021 C8
Province
BC
Man oh man..... yes I know that I am on a Corvette Forum and I truly do like my Corvette, but damn, I just lost out on a car that I have been interested in for a couple of years but got serious about it over the past 4mos. And that car is 1988 Ferrari 328GTS .... red on tan of course. I had found 3 but not to my standards. Incomplete records, rough shape, no orig tool kit high mileage blah blah blah. 3 days ago my phone rings and a good friend of mine who happens to work on these cars (and owns 2 Ferraris and a Murcielago) told me one of his long time customers said its time to part with his beloved 328. My friend has all the service history (as he serviced it) everything that originally came with the car including the tool kit and manual is with the car and the interior and exterior he rates a 9.5 out of 10. I completely trust his judgement and without seeing the car I asked him to broker the deal. Today we were supposed to meet and finalize the deal. Well, 2 hours before the meet, my friend calls me and said that the gentleman felt extremely bad but could not yet part with the car that he has loved and owned for so many years ( only 41000kms). Damn!!!! I have to tell myself that everything happens for a reason. I hope that he will enjoy it for one more summer and that my phone shall ring once again as I shall be given the right of first refusal. Being that he is a bit elderly I hope to be right!! %&#@!! OK.... I feel better now that I vented...... Time to take the Vette out now

Hi Paul, I think you are right, he is having one last summer fever. That being said, after a couple of weeks after the summer starts, I bet he will think twice and sell it after getting over it. And then you will be in a better bargaining position as the one being approached instead of the one approaching and everything will fall into place and you will get an excellent deal :canada::canada:

Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
@Paul C7
@netsinah is correct. A bottle of wine may be just the thing to say thank you for at least considering you as a possible owner.
My son was lusting over a ‘70 Monte and the owner changed his mind at the last moment.
We went by with a couple of bottles of wine one day. Two weeks later the fellow called and the deal was done. That was 26 years ago. My son still owns that car today!!
7DC50A61-E0D7-4FFD-87A9-0358324E1CC7.jpeg

Along with a ‘71 SS454LS5.
We were just talking about those bottles of wine last weekend.
good luck man.

graham

Thanks to all for the feedback and suggestions. However, up to this point, I have never met the seller nor seen the car. All of the brokering for the expected sale was done by a good friend of mine (Michael) who also happens to be the fella who maintains this particular car and knows the owner quite well. The owner had mentioned that he was prob ready to let the car go and thats when Michael called me. I trust Mike 100% and he said that this car is at a minimum a 9.5 out of 10 in all areas.... As such as I and the owner were not available to meet that day I asked Mike if he could 'broker' the deal for me as Mike was with the owner. After a couple of hours we had agreed on a price and were supposed to meet the next day to actually meet and finalize..... well the next morning came and Mike called and advised that the owner called him and said that he could not sell the car yet. The car now is at Mikes shop getting an oil change as the owner went to his place in Arizona for 4weeks. When he returns, Mike will introduce him to me and see where it goes....... and yes, a nice bottle of Italian wine certainly can do no harm.....:Cheers2: All comes to those who wait.... I hope..... LOL

Thanks to all for the feedback and suggestions. However, up to this point, I have never met the seller nor seen the car. All of the brokering for the expected sale was done by a good friend of mine (Michael) who also happens to be the fella who maintains this particular car and knows the owner quite well. The owner had mentioned that he was prob ready to let the car go and thats when Michael called me. I trust Mike 100% and he said that this car is at a minimum a 9.5 out of 10 in all areas.... As such as I and the owner were not available to meet that day I asked Mike if he could 'broker' the deal for me as Mike was with the owner. After a couple of hours we had agreed on a price and were supposed to meet the next day to actually meet and finalize..... well the next morning came and Mike called and advised that the owner called him and said that he could not sell the car yet. The car now is at Mikes shop getting an oil change as the owner went to his place in Arizona for 4weeks. When he returns, Mike will introduce him to me and see where it goes....... and yes, a nice bottle of Italian wine certainly can do no harm.....:Cheers2: All comes to those who wait.... I hope..... LOL
Make it two bottles Paul. One red and one white just in case ....:Biggrin:

If you don't get to meet the owner, I'd suggest a couple bottles of wine (one red; one white, as Eric suggested) stashed in the vehicle waiting for its pick-up, along with a "no hard feelings, but think of me when you do want to pull the sale trigger" note or card. Hopefully this story will end well for you; keep us posted!

Well I finally got to meet the Ferrari owner last week as he was having the fluids changed at my friends garage. He apologized for backing out of the deal a few months back and I simply responded that when he's ready, Ill be waiting. We then went out and grabbed a bite and chatted about all sorts of things, its like we knew each other for years, weird. Anyhow we went back to the shop and as he was paying the bill, he turned around and said that he knew that I would treat his baby good and that it was time to let someone else enjoy it and that he picked me. I was a bit stunned at first but damn I was happy. To me its a gorgeous car, a true drivers car, and I got to tell you, for 34yrs old its in fantastic shape, low kms, all the original tool kit, spare tire, jack, flashlight etc. etc. Drove her home today and my grin may have been just a bit bigger than the day I drove home my C7. Maybe being Italian helped.... Im a pretty happy guy right now.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
Well I finally got to meet the Ferrari owner last week as he was having the fluids changed at my friends garage. He apologized for backing out of the deal a few months back and I simply responded that when he's ready, Ill be waiting. We then went out and grabbed a bite and chatted about all sorts of things, its like we knew each other for years, weird. Anyhow we went back to the shop and as he was paying the bill, he turned around and said that he knew that I would treat his baby good and that it was time to let someone else enjoy it and that he picked me. I was a bit stunned at first but damn I was happy. To me its a gorgeous car, a true drivers car, and I got to tell you, for 34yrs old its in fantastic shape, low kms, all the original tool kit, spare tire, jack, flashlight etc. etc. Drove her home today and my grin may have been just a bit bigger than the day I drove home my C7. Maybe being Italian helped.... Im a pretty happy guy right now.

Gotta LOVE these stories with happy endings! The (now) past owner of the Ferrari thinks like me: I always prefer to pass along a vehicle I'm attached to, to a "good home/owner" and I've even taken a lesser price, for that to happen. CONGRATS!

Nice, not sure what it is with C7 owners eyeballing old Ferraris.

I also wanted to get a 308 initially instead of my C7. Decided it's not worth the hassle just yet, maybe when I'm older. They're getting more expensive though...

Nice car. What model is it? Enjoy.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.