Dec 27, 2018
California
VetteCoins
I have a 2002corvette base model A4 with long tubes,CAI,2step,hallowed cats from 2step,305/45 nt5r in the rear, I want to throw nitrous on it my motor is completely safe and I really want to put a 150 wet shot on there or a 125 shot minimum is it safe if not how much is?

I can see that nobody else wants to touch this question with a ten foot pole, and they are right! LOL.

I will help you out on this one for one really easy reason - you are in California. It's a long trip up here to kick my ass if you don't like what I have to say.

But seriously though, living in California is a big advantage for you. You have fairly consistent weather in terms of above-zero temperatures, and ideal near ocean level air pressure. Sure, it might get hot, but your bottle, lines, valves, and injectors will never freeze up on you. You shouldn't have to deal with sweat, air pockets, bubbles, inconsistent pressure, or low pressure because a bottle is too cold. You should however make sure that your bottle is covered from direct sunlight so that it doesn't get too hot and overpressure.

The first thing I gotta ask is, do you know how nitrous works? I don't want to get into a deep engineering style discussion about how it works, I prefer the KISS principle. Keep It Simple, Stupid. So in case you don't know (and anybody else who is interested), here goes:

The principle of nitrous oxide is pretty simple. It is a mixture of 2 parts nitrogen to 1 part oxygen. The nitrogen is there to try to keep things cool. The oxygen is what makes the magic happen. The compressed N2O being forced into your cylinders allows for a hotter, faster, and more effective burn to happen. It's difficult to try to explain this without getting all technical and introducing mathematical equations and stuff, but I'll try.

If you or someone you know has an oxy/acetylene welder, try this experiment. Light a cigarette, and drop it into a mason jar. Then turn on ONLY the oxygen on the welder, and point the tip into the jar. The cigarette will burn up in a couple of seconds, and likely burn right through the filter too. When I tried it, it burned a hole through the bottom of the jar. This is not my video, but it shows you what a difference it makes to add pure oxygen to a fire.

If you harness this crazy burning power in a closed area (like a cylinder), it will make a lot of power. The nitrogen as mentioned is there simply to provide the cold to try to offset the intense heat that the added oxygen creates. Theoretically, its fantastic, but does the nitrogen cool it off enough?

Is it safe? This is an age-old argument. Technology has come a really long way - fuel-injection, WOT controllers, purge valves, air/fuel sensors, retard and detonation sensors, and a host of great technologies say that it is manageable and safe. I know many people (and know stories of many more) who have used nitrous oxide on their engines, and there is one common theme - at some point in time it will break, and the level of that breakage ranges from burnt valves, seals, rings or pistons, to catastrophic demolition of intake, heads, or the block.

I'm not a very big fan of it, but I live in a vastly different climate than yours. That really does make a big difference. To me it isn't worth the risk of the damage that it can do, I would absolutely prefer forced induction, but that is significantly more expensive.

A few other points to ponder:

How many miles on your engine? The higher your mileage, the shorter its overall lifespan when using nitrous.
Do you have a catch can, and how long has it been on? These engines have bad blow-by due to a short EGR hose and high compression. Your intake manifold and your cylinders are most certainly coated with carbon buildup. The intense heat of nitrous oxide will burn it off, but it may also cause detonation or a backfire through the intake, which is very very bad.
Do you daily drive it? Will you be screwed when it breaks?
Are you still running a stock 4L60e transmission and converter? Stock rear end? These are a weak point, and might not take much more power than you are already making.

Do some research and talk to some people who have used it, and judge for yourself. If you go to Cars and Coffee or any meets like that, see if you can find some guys who have 150 or less shots and see how long they've had it, and how it has been for them. You do have the ideal climate for it, but the higher shot you go, the sooner it will break.

I definitely would have to recommend that you not go higher than a 150 shot. I have read lots and seen several LS1s with a 150 shot, and it will take it for a while, but that is also on new cars or fresh builds. You can buy a kit that is capable of a 150-200 shot, but put in jets for 75, 100, 125, etc. You don't have to go full bore off the bat.

Good luck, have fun, and get to saving your money so that you can afford to fix it.

Last edited:
I have a 2002corvette base model A4 with long tubes,CAI,2step,hallowed cats from 2step,305/45 nt5r in the rear, I want to throw nitrous on it my motor is completely safe and I really want to put a 150 wet shot on there or a 125 shot minimum is it safe if not how much is?
I can see that nobody else wants to touch this question with a ten foot pole, and they are right! LOL.

I will help you out on this one for one really easy reason - you are in California. It's a long trip up here to kick my ass if you don't like what I have to say.

But seriously though, living in California is a big advantage for you. You have fairly consistent weather in terms of above-zero temperatures, and ideal near ocean level air pressure. Sure, it might get hot, but your bottle, lines, valves, and injectors will never freeze up on you. You shouldn't have to deal with sweat, air pockets, bubbles, inconsistent pressure, or low pressure because a bottle is too cold. You should however make sure that your bottle is covered from direct sunlight so that it doesn't get too hot and overpressure.

The first thing I gotta ask is, do you know how nitrous works? I don't want to get into a deep engineering style discussion about how it works, I prefer the KISS principle. Keep It Simple, Stupid. So in case you don't know (and anybody else who is interested), here goes:

The principle of nitrous oxide is pretty simple. It is a mixture of 2 parts nitrogen to 1 part oxygen. The nitrogen is there to try to keep things cool. The oxygen is what makes the magic happen. The compressed N2O being forced into your cylinders allows for a hotter, faster, and more effective burn to happen. It's difficult to try to explain this without getting all technical and introducing mathematical equations and stuff, but I'll try.

If you or someone you know has an oxy/acetylene welder, try this experiment. Light a cigarette, and drop it into a mason jar. Then turn on ONLY the oxygen on the welder, and point the tip into the jar. The cigarette will burn up in a couple of seconds, and likely burn right through the filter too. When I tried it, it burned a hole through the bottom of the jar. This is not my video, but it shows you what a difference it makes to add pure oxygen to a fire.

If you harness this crazy burning power in a closed area (like a cylinder), it will make a lot of power. The nitrogen as mentioned is there simply to provide the cold to try to offset the intense heat that the added oxygen creates. Theoretically, its fantastic, but does the nitrogen cool it off enough?

Is it safe? This is an age-old argument. Technology has come a really long way - fuel-injection, WOT controllers, purge valves, air/fuel sensors, retard and detonation sensors, and a host of great technologies say that it is manageable and safe. I know many people (and know stories of many more) who have used nitrous oxide on their engines, and there is one common theme - at some point in time it will break, and the level of that breakage ranges from burnt valves, seals, rings or pistons, to catastrophic demolition of intake, heads, or the block.

I'm not a very big fan of it, but I live in a vastly different climate than yours. That really does make a big difference. To me it isn't worth the risk of the damage that it can do, I would absolutely prefer forced induction, but that is significantly more expensive.

A few other points to ponder:

How many miles on your engine? The higher your mileage, the shorter its overall lifespan when using nitrous.
Do you have a catch can, and how long has it been on? These engines have bad blow-by due to a short EGR hose and high compression. Your intake manifold and your cylinders are most certainly coated with carbon buildup. The intense heat of nitrous oxide will burn it off, but it may also cause detonation or a backfire through the intake, which is very very bad.
Do you daily drive it? Will you be screwed when it breaks?
Are you still running a stock 4L60e transmission and converter? Stock rear end? These are a weak point, and might not take much more power than you are already making.

Do some research and talk to some people who have used it, and judge for yourself. If you go to Cars and Coffee or any meets like that, see if you can find some guys who have 150 or less shots and see how long they've had it, and how it has been for them. You do have the ideal climate for it, but the higher shot you go, the sooner it will break.

I definitely would have to recommend that you not go higher than a 150 shot. I have read lots and seen several LS1s with a 150 shot, and it will take it for a while, but that is also on new cars or fresh builds. You can buy a kit that is capable of a 150-200 shot, but put in jets for 75, 100, 125, etc. You don't have to go full bore off the bat.

Good luck, have fun, and get to saving your money so that you can afford to fix it.

Excellent response Jord. Not knowing much about nitrous other than the significant boost it provides, I found your write up very interesting.

Good luck Steven. You might want to look for another LS1 to keep as a spare.... ;) Keep us in the loop.

I have 96k miles on it and yes stock trans,rear end everything, no oil catch can, yes there is carbon build up lol,I was thinking of 125-150 wet shot, WOT controlled, thanks thoe for your help ima do it I have a ls3 waiting for this ls1 to give out but I’m not gonna intentionally blow it up I prefer the loud banshee scream of the ls1 than the deep bass of ls3

I have 96k miles on it and yes stock trans,rear end everything, no oil catch can, yes there is carbon build up lol,I was thinking of 125-150 wet shot, WOT controlled, thanks thoe for your help ima do it I have a ls3 waiting for this ls1 to give out but I’m not gonna intentionally blow it up I prefer the loud banshee scream of the ls1 than the deep bass of ls3

You go man. But definitely keep us updated. :thumbs: Wanna see some action shots too...
picture2.jpg

You go man. But definitely keep us updated. :thumbs: Wanna see some action shots too... View attachment 22865

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread