Hello I’m new to the group
I don’t own a corvette yet so thought I would join group to find out what years of corvette to stay away from ?
All of them! They are addictve and one isn't enough!:D Just have someone that is knows what to look for when you find one to avoid issues. What is your price range? Then ask here what are known problems. "Corvette Magazine" does a review of one of the "C" series about once a year with the price ranges.

Cheers, John

• Informative
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Hello I’m new to the group
I don’t own a corvette yet so thought I would join group to find out what years of corvette to stay away from ?
Welcome to the forum. John is correct. They can be addictive, and you often look ridiculous with that big smile on your face when you are behind the wheel. Yes. If you can give us an idea of what years and dollar ranges you are attracted to, there is a wealth of information here just waiting to assist. Good luck in your search.

• Agree
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Welcome to the forum. John is correct. They can be addictive, and you often look ridiculous with that big smile on your face when you are behind the wheel. Yes. If you can give us an idea of what years and dollar ranges you are attracted to, there is a wealth of information here just waiting to assist. Good luck in your search.
Range is $10,000 - $15,000 thinking C3 or C4
Curious on which is a better more reliable car

Range is $10,000 - $15,000
Question which do you think are a better more reliable one C3 or C4?
Now.... The C3 is classic. No doubt. The C4 is a great Corvette as well but you need to be careful buying either. A good C3 will likely be over your price range unless you are mechanically inclined and want a project car. The major issue to watch for in a C3 is the frame and birdcage condition. the birdcage is the cockpit frame assembly and is famous for rust rot. You can't see this unless you remove the kick panels around your feet. Frame condition is a little easier to check by getting the car on a hoist and should be looked at whether it's a C3 or C4. Avoid either one if it looks like it hasn't been maintained properly: caked oil in the engine compartment or the undercarriage, twist ties holding wires and hoses everywhere, etc.
If it were me buying a C4 (and I will likely catch some flak for this), I would hold out for the later years (1989 on). The early C4's had a few more issues. The 5.7 crossfire in 84 was a bit of a dog with only 205 hp and had some other problems along the way. The Doug Nash 4+3 tranny also has been known to be problematic. Not slamming any of these for the guys that own them. Just putting it out there.
Again. Unless you want a project car, avoid the car that has been sitting outside or in a field somewhere for a long time. Look any car over extremely well, write down the Vin number and do a carfax history report check on it. And when you think you have found the right car, pay the piper and have a mechanic go over the car with a fine tooth comb before you ink the deal. It will pay in the end. It it extremely easy to spend another $10,000 fixing problems if you buy without paying attention.

If you think you have found your car, I would recommend posting again in the C3 or C4 section of the forum, give us details, and get some more feedback on your prospective choice.
Now I will let some members with more experience with these models than me chime in.

Rruuff has pretty much hit the C4 nail on the head. The newer the better, but don't expect it to be completely problem free. By all means check anything out carefully. I have not heard of any frame problems with the C4's but the cost of repair would be prohibitive.
I have had my 1991 for 17 years, it has eaten its fair share of money. The money spent never exceeded the value of the car and the last several years have been relatively problem free. In any event you'll find it all worthwhile just to get that silly Corvette grin which, by the way, does not wipe off. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.