May 28, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
1965 convertible
Seems like all I do lately is ask questions. My 65 Vette has been in storage for a million years with no engine in it. Now that I have it back home and trying to get it running again I see things about it that I have forgotten where they go.
Case in point; Stock wiring harness... I have two black and purple wires joined together with a spade connector in the engine compartment wiring harness near the distributor. I also have another single spade black and purple wire coming out of the harness near the brake cylinder. Neither of these wires have voltage either with the ignition off or when in the run position. So....where are they supposed to go? The assembly manual says a black and purple wire perhaps goes to the positive side of the distributor resistor. But there is no voltage on it. I have a pink wire going to the resistor which is activated when in run position.
I also have a black plastic capped spade ground wire near the distributor that I don't remember where its connected....perhaps it goes back through the firewall to ground the instrument panel??
I should have done a better job with preparing this car for storage. I am paying the price for a bad memory.
Thanks

Reactions: ddgermann
ddgermann ... just saw you're post and hope you've already got you answers. In case you haven't, I'm in the process of replacing the engine wiring harness on my '67. There may be differences between your '65 and a '67 but here's what I've got ... maybe this will help.
Near the distributor (Pass side), I have 5 wires, 2 pink, 1 purple, 1 black & 1 green. The 2 pink wires are tied together and go to the positive side of the distributor coil. The purple wire has a black connector and is only used for the neutral safety/backup light if you have an automatic transmission (probably goes back into passenger compartment thru firewall). The back wire goes to the wiper motor ground and the green wire is inside a black jacket and it goes to the temperature sending unit at the front of my intake manifold.

I also have 1 pink wire near distributor (Drv side), and it goes to the top of ballast resistor.

I have one more wire (tan), that is near the brake dual master cylinder. It has a cap on it and it goes to the brake proportioning value to alert if there's a difference in pressure between the 2 sides of the master cylinder.

Good luck ... if needed I can probably get some pics ... just let me know. John

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.