Radiohead

Casual User
Oct 1, 2016
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
2010 C6
Hey to all CCF users,

I am a new user to the forum and wanted to take a minute to politely introduce myself. I just got my first Corvette and can tell you I am super stoked.

I guess my Corvette story is extremely repetitive for the tenured users here on the forum but here it is. I am 46 years old and have always wanted a sports car. About 2 months ago, after dropping one of my monthly hints to my wife that "one day I would go out and buy myself a sports car", my wife suddenly turned to me and said that I should go get this sports car now before I get too old and fat and just look stupid driving it.... I paused for a few seconds, contemplating my response - snap back with a quick and witty insult? No. Quietly express my hurt and displeasure? No. Take her gracious approval and go and get my dream car - YES! Correct response!

I gave myself a reasonable budget and started seriously looking for my new toy. Given my self imposed budget I narrowed it down to three potential vehicles - Number 1: Used C6, 2 - Number 2: Porsche Cayman, Number 3: New Mustang GT. I searched out and test drove several different vehicles. After lots of research and time, I slowly started crossing cars off the list. The new Mustang was very nice and great value for money but when I drove it, I was not awe struck and felt the experience was a little flat (even with the GT Performance Package). For the price, with full warranty, it was just too reasonable. I was not looking for a daily driver - I wanted something that was loud, impractical and scary. The Mustang GT was off the list after a few weeks. I ended up dismissing the Cayman after a little time as well. I finally came to the conclusion that I would always want a 911 and every time I would drive the Cayman I would be thinking how do I trade this into an 911.

The C6... I always loved the look of the C6 and I think that I was always partial to Corvette's because my dad always wanted one his whole life. I think his desire wore off on me a bit. And then I test drove one - WOW - there it was. That feeling of excitement, fear, exhilaration, I was totally and fully immersed in the experience, except the stupid sales person would not shut up :( Everything about the car was what I had hoped for. Evening getting in and out of the car, while a little difficult due to the height, felt special and was not like a "daily driver". I loved the engine noise, the feel, the power, just everything... My only disappointment was the interior plastics. I had a GM Saturn in my thirties and the interior vents on the Corvette are the exact same vents used in all the cheaper GM's - ouch... Anyway, I decided I did not really care about the interior anyway as my daily driver is comfortable and luxurious, with all the toys. I wanted something different, an uncompromising sports car. Going back to the Mustang for a minute, I felt that although Ford did an excellent job, they tried to make the car too many things IMO. It was too much a Grand Touring car and not enough Track Car. I felt they compromised on performance for comfort. Two extra useless seats in the back, soft ride, etc.

Anyway, last Saturday I picked my Black 2010 C6. It has about 70,000km on it with Chrome 5 spokes and plexi targa top. I am so happy with my choice.

IMG_1233_zpsirrq83ew.jpg

IMG_1235_zpsmneu5e98.jpg

I plan on keeping this car for while and expect to really enjoy everything about it. I have spent some time on the forum last week and I am happy to join and hope to contribute.

Radiohead

Hi RH..
Welcome to the show.... oops the Forum. Lots of guys & gals out your way.
Good on you for jumping in..your choices were all good..glad to hear you settled with a Corvette.
It looks great, I personally love black myself.
Now check out a few of the Corvette supplier web-sites and order some catalogs.
The experience can be added to!
Don't be afeared to start asking questions...
Thanx for writing in.

Graham

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. It has been a few weeks with the C6 and the honeymoon is far from over :). I have got some seat time with the nice weather and logged a few hundred kms thus far. Beyond just the pure enjoyment of the car, I have been really trying to concentrate on becoming a better driver. I have been really focusing on my shifts, clutch work and rev matching. I found the power train very precise relative to other manual vehicles I have driven and there is no hiding from sloppy shifts. They really show in the C6. Anyway, I have gotten much better and way more smooth. Still find myself shifting slow but I am thinking that I will speed up my shifts naturally when the muscle memory kicks in. For now I am really focusing on the mechanics of shifting.

I have also been working on the paint, trying to remove small scratches and swirl marks. My guess is that the previous owner my have done a poor job of cleaning the car, as there seems to be many small, micro, scratches in the paint, especially on the hood and around the trunk. Either that or it is just 6 year old black car. Anyway, I have used Meguiar's Scratch X in small areas to try and level and remove the scratches. While still there, they are definitely reduce and minimized. I then used Mother's Polish and put on two coats of Mother's Micro Glaze thus far. I plan on adding a few coats of Synthetic Wax to build up a nice base of protection. I have also used the Mequiar's Back to Black on the plastic and rubber which I think worked great. I have been doing everything by hand so far and just picked up a used polisher for $20 that I think will help out going forward.

Here is how she looks now.

IMG_1240_zpssfc5mvnj.jpg

Still plan to getting on the Chrome tailpipes and leather seats. :) Fingers crossed for a late winter!

Rick

Reactions: biker_il
Fantastic story and I'm so glad to hear the Corvette gave you the feeling you've been looking for! Now your wife will just have to deal with you having a second love in your life. :D
The car looks great! Nice work on restoring the paint!

Hey to all CCF users,

I am a new user to the forum and wanted to take a minute to politely introduce myself. I just got my first Corvette and can tell you I am super stoked.

I guess my Corvette story is extremely repetitive for the tenured users here on the forum but here it is. I am 46 years old and have always wanted a sports car. About 2 months ago, after dropping one of my monthly hints to my wife that "one day I would go out and buy myself a sports car", my wife suddenly turned to me and said that I should go get this sports car now before I get too old and fat and just look stupid driving it.... I paused for a few seconds, contemplating my response - snap back with a quick and witty insult? No. Quietly express my hurt and displeasure? No. Take her gracious approval and go and get my dream car - YES! Correct response!

I gave myself a reasonable budget and started seriously looking for my new toy. Given my self imposed budget I narrowed it down to three potential vehicles - Number 1: Used C6, 2 - Number 2: Porsche Cayman, Number 3: New Mustang GT. I searched out and test drove several different vehicles. After lots of research and time, I slowly started crossing cars off the list. The new Mustang was very nice and great value for money but when I drove it, I was not awe struck and felt the experience was a little flat (even with the GT Performance Package). For the price, with full warranty, it was just too reasonable. I was not looking for a daily driver - I wanted something that was loud, impractical and scary. The Mustang GT was off the list after a few weeks. I ended up dismissing the Cayman after a little time as well. I finally came to the conclusion that I would always want a 911 and every time I would drive the Cayman I would be thinking how do I trade this into an 911.

The C6... I always loved the look of the C6 and I think that I was always partial to Corvette's because my dad always wanted one his whole life. I think his desire wore off on me a bit. And then I test drove one - WOW - there it was. That feeling of excitement, fear, exhilaration, I was totally and fully immersed in the experience, except the stupid sales person would not shut up :( Everything about the car was what I had hoped for. Evening getting in and out of the car, while a little difficult due to the height, felt special and was not like a "daily driver". I loved the engine noise, the feel, the power, just everything... My only disappointment was the interior plastics. I had a GM Saturn in my thirties and the interior vents on the Corvette are the exact same vents used in all the cheaper GM's - ouch... Anyway, I decided I did not really care about the interior anyway as my daily driver is comfortable and luxurious, with all the toys. I wanted something different, an uncompromising sports car. Going back to the Mustang for a minute, I felt that although Ford did an excellent job, they tried to make the car too many things IMO. It was too much a Grand Touring car and not enough Track Car. I felt they compromised on performance for comfort. Two extra useless seats in the back, soft ride, etc.

Anyway, last Saturday I picked my Black 2010 C6. It has about 70,000km on it with Chrome 5 spokes and plexi targa top. I am so happy with my choice.

IMG_1233_zpsirrq83ew.jpg

IMG_1235_zpsmneu5e98.jpg

I plan on keeping this car for while and expect to really enjoy everything about it. I have spent some time on the forum last week and I am happy to join and hope to contribute.

Radiohead
great looking ride! welcome!

Great story, glad you were given the go-ahead! I'm quite a bit older and was given the go ahead two months ago, to my amazement. Ours is an 08 C6, silver coupe, we love it and have been on some great cruises already.
We bought it to drive it, not daily, but whenever we can. My wife loves it so much, she wants to drive it to Florida this winter, where we will use it for 4 to 5 months. What could be better? This first year will provide us with 12 months of excitement and pleasure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.