Arun

Dec 16, 2012
Waterloo
VetteCoins
Car
2002 Z06
Not that I'm an expert on anything but some recent claims have me baffled? I've talked to several people and the reply's ranged from concern to all out laughter.

But then this is the internet and unsubstantiated claims can be posted with no footnotes, background checks or any proof-those days are long gone.

Upon opening a tune-I find this. All GM codes from P0170-P0175 are turned off. For your reference-these are not turned off from GM.

Apparently this task was performed by an individual with quote: " He is an automotive engineer that was offered a job @ GM in the drivability programming division with a six digit pay scale. K***n declined the offer,he prefers to have the freedom to make his own hours and have more time for his family"

And apparently so much experience that he has tuned " K***n of C*******n M****s dyno tuned over 450 cars in 2014 alone. He has given me guidance with my street tuning and is the only engineer (with papers) "

I'm surprised because it's not everyday GM comes seeking employees and offering them 6 digit salaries-and with a family it would be hard to pass up the benefit package and pension a company like GM would offer.

If your wondering what those codes do, basically they will throw a check engine light if your car is adjusting the fuel trims over +- 25%. The latest OBD 2 cars are very sensitive to airflow changes and GM put those there in case something has gone wrong in the intake stream of the car.

Now I have pulled tunes out of 2014 and 2015 cars and trucks and those codes are still there.

So I'm baffled what this engineer who refused a job with GM would do this? Could this engineer actually be smarter than the GM engineers or does he know something GM doesn't?

I honestly don't know-I didn't even know GM had driveability tuning. Since every GM vehicle is made to be able to be driven by a 16 year old newbie to 95year old grandmother.

But then again-what do I know? It's just the internet.

Last edited:
Could these codes be turned off to hide a crappy tune? No idea. I know less than zero about these things.

I think you summed it up best " It's just the internet"

I must mention however that 6 figure salaries are not all that impressive, I turned that down at Manny's when he wanted to hire me to become a greeter. The drive was too far and the vacation package was unappealing.

Could these codes be turned off to hide a crappy tune? No idea. I know less than zero about these things.

I think you summed it up best " It's just the internet"

I must mention however that 6 figure salaries are not all that impressive, I turned that down at Manny's when he wanted to hire me to become a greeter. The drive was too far and the vacation package was unappealing.

Offer still stands Wayne :D

I'll agree that a 6 digit figure is not uncommon. My nephew who graduated from Univ of Mich Engineering three years ago, at graduation had 3 job offers all over 110K to start. 2 were in automotive, one was a job working on programming transmissions. But he took the 3rd job, non automotive in Lexington. End of this year he hopes to have all his student loans paid off ( was $160k ).

So with experience I could easily see a good senior engineer being offered in the 140-200k range if he had that niche talent.

Staying independent, working contract jobs pays well and gives you a lot of flexibility in your life if you have the right talents that are in high demand.

Looking at some of those codes though, I'm not sure I'd want them turned off unless it was for a car you were say dragging and didn't want some of the conditions affecting performance for a short duration.

Hahaha. You guys make me laugh!
As for the tuning situation, I know even less than Wayne but somehow feel if you, Arun, aren't sure what the guy is doing, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what he is doing. :rofl:

Crap Wayne, I knew it. Should have held out for more $$$.

Interesting information Arun. Knowing this can you do anything with the data/codes?

When I see this I enable these codes again, just like GM does. This is one of the tricky parts of tuning an already tuned car. You need to find a stock tune-put it back to stock-then start all over again.

But sometimes were not given that information so it ends up going out the door like this again. IMHO-those codes are needed and do no nothing for drag only cars. There is another table for that which I modify-so when WOT tuning is done-nothing it will effect it again unless something is wrong.

My personal C5 was SD tuned and these codes were enabled-if my car was running rich or lean at non wot throttle inputs-I want to know.

It was pretty funny but with no cats and a cam with double digit overlap and 1200cc injectors-I was able to pass a roller test at speed. At a 900 rpm idle it didn't pass-but at speed it did.

The emissions shop had a good laugh at that.

But with todays emissions standard-anything can pass-good old government.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.