Sep 12, 2011
Somerset, Kings County, Nova Scotia, Canada
VetteCoins
Car
2004 Coupe
Hi gang. The good news is that I finally got my '75 inspected and passed for antique plates here in Nova Scotia (required to replace leaking power steering components which I did last Friday) however both power windows have now gone mute. A couple of years ago, I had opened the orig window switches to clean them up as they were not working well. All was fine until both windows suddenly ceased to function. As both windows are affected, me thinks its related to primary power. So far I've confirmed that the IGN 10 amp fuse is fine and confirmed with a 12V tester that power is crossing the fuse when the key is turned. I attached the tester to the battery + and the tester shows current continuity to the brown & blue (up/down) window wires leading from the center window switches. I thought that this might actually activate the window but no such event took place. I attached the tester to ground and, with the key turned, I probed the red & pink 12V hot window switch wires in the center console area but there wasn't any indication of power flow. From under the radio they are bundled and run up behind the instrument panel... Not sure I want to pull the panel as a next step!

I researched some of the previous posts but could not find what looked like another good path to follow... Any thoughts as to where I might investigate next?

VV / Doug

Hi Doug...
Good to have you back buddy!
I wish I could help you with your windows but I have then crank kind!!
I do have a set of GM shop manuals and an assembly manual if you need something scanned!
Congrats on the antique certification.

Take care
Graham

Hi Doug...
Good to have you back buddy!
I wish I could help you with your windows but I have then crank kind!!
I do have a set of GM shop manuals and an assembly manual if you need something scanned!
Congrats on the antique certification.

Take care
Graham
Hi Graham, thanks for the kind offer however I have both those pubs and just put them back on the shelf. I'm thinking that the culprit is probably the regulator - we'll see.

We drove an Astro Van for almost 15 years; it had crank windows and you know something, I never had a problem with the windows once... There's certainly something to be said for keeping it simple!

It will be good to put some miles on the Vette again now that summer has arrived! More to follow as time permits.

Regards,

VV

I still have an issue with the passenger side window in my truck, however, I found it was the blue wire with a white stripe that has a break in it somewhere (I'm guessing in the hinge area of the drivers door). Anyway, if one stops working, it makes it much easier to diagnose than if both go. I thought your trick of bypassing the switch would work. It sounds like you did a good diagnosis so I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out.

Don't know if your car has the same switches as mine but on mine I believe the power wire runs through both switches in series. So when one switch went on mine both windows quit. I repaired the switches an plugins quite a few times till I finally bought new . My yearly problem is gone now:canada:

Thanks for the input. I'll have a chance to investigate further early next week.

VV
Well how time flies! So a year later I finally rolled up my sleeves, gathered the tools and preparrd myself to take the center console apart. I confirmed both a good fuse and power at the box but no power at the switches. Thus the power regulator became the prime suspect. Took more dash apart and found the regulator. Confirmed a good ground and then, low and behold, I discover that the wires going to the switches had been pinched between the radio and other gear (no doubt happened when took the dask apart to swap in a new heater core a couple of years ago) and they eventually worked their way off the end of the plug! And when I plugged it back together, voila, both windows worked again! So now you know the rest of the story...

:) VV

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Look ma, no windows!
20170611_151832_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread