Featured Thread
Dec 3, 2014
Meadow Lake/Lions Bay
VetteCoins
Car
C7 Z06/07 & NSX
-34 C this morning, and the car performed flawlessly. This is a testament to the Corvette engineers/team!!! Thank-you for providing me with a +200 mph car that does 0-60 in 2.95 sec and I can daily drive it in conditions no one would ever dream of.................. Brilliant.
20190118_082557.jpg

:cool: Cool (pun) :coldfeet:
... it's only teasing near -20C here in YYC ...
and I can thank Corvette Engineers too. :joyful:
However just for the experience of a visit
as I open the garage door and peek under the cover ...
but with no thanks for the task of shoveling snow :Vomit:

Last edited:
cool!!! (no pun intended). I was curious how low was low....... now what do the engineers say about the aluminum frame and the excessive calcium chloride and its big application controversy in our city??? I'll stick to summer driving!
That's what the corrosion warranty is for.............. 😉😎

Last edited:
...I give you credit for using the machine year round. no bugs at this time of year to clean off is a plus. I bet she starts not plugged in over night either. ...:thumbs:...
I keep her in an insulated garage so it doesn't get too cold. I have a timer set to turn on the heat pads a couple hours before I drive it then command start and let it run for 10 min...its fully warmed by the end of the block. At work I keep it plugged in and use the Chevy app to command start it. It takes a few blocks before its fully warmed (oil temp above 45C). The car is amazing.

Wow , good for you , what tires do you run ? I would love to try and drive mine at least a couple more months per year than normal ( only 6 months per year here ) however , wayyyyy to much snow here and frigid temps .
I run Nokian Hakkapilitta studded winter snow tires 285 35 R19 on Z06 knock off wheels I ordered from c7z06owners.com . Pretty reasonable cost. As I recall, all four wheels were $1,100 U.S. and they are literally identical to my stock chrome wheels with the exception of the center cap. For that you need to order some Corvette decals on ebay. I got 19" all around, since Nokian doesn't make a 20" snow tire in the dimensions you need. Besides, with a 285/35 the sidewall is higher, and they fit perfectly. Also, you can get the snow tires at Kal Tire. They deal in Nokian Hakkipilittas. I swear by them, and will never buy any other brand of snow tire. I have them mounted on my Z06 knock offs, as well as on my WRX STi, and my son runs them on his '02 Bug Eye WRX. Don't settle for less than those tires. You won't be dissapointed. Then, when spring comes, I simply use my race ramps to lift the car up. Jack it a touch and install jack stand, and swap my summer Pirelli PZeros on. I've shelved the Michelin Cup 2s.....after about 5000km they were toast. I could use one in a pinch as a spare, or for the track, but other than that, they are worthless...... If you don't have "race ramps" (that's the actual name of the brand) get some. They make working on the car for stuff like this effortless. I can swap all four wheels out in about a half hour.........................no charge.................done.

Some guy’s driving a Lamborghini in the winter as well, Edmonton area. If I did it it would only be when the roads are frozen up(dry). And of course you’d need some winter tires on extra rims. I’d be a 2x a day car wash visitor too.
I have my own pressure washer that I hook up to a spare hot water line that was supposed to be for a washing machine. Straight hot out of the water tank. It takes me about 5 min to hook up, and 5 min to put away. Wash itself takes about 20 min and is essentially free of charge....................it can be done.........

I run Nokian Hakkapilitta studded winter snow tires 285 35 R19 on Z06 knock off wheels I ordered from c7z06owners.com . Pretty reasonable cost. As I recall, all four wheels were $1,100 U.S. and they are literally identical to my stock chrome wheels with the exception of the center cap. For that you need to order some Corvette decals on ebay. I got 19" all around, since Nokian doesn't make a 20" snow tire in the dimensions you need. Besides, with a 285/35 the sidewall is higher, and they fit perfectly. Also, you can get the snow tires at Kal Tire. They deal in Nokian Hakkipilittas. I swear by them, and will never buy any other brand of snow tire. I have them mounted on my Z06 knock offs, as well as on my WRX STi, and my son runs them on his '02 Bug Eye WRX. Don't settle for less than those tires. You won't be dissapointed. Then, when spring comes, I simply use my race ramps to lift the car up. Jack it a touch and install jack stand, and swap my summer Pirelli PZeros on. I've shelved the Michelin Cup 2s.....after about 5000km they were toast. I could use one in a pinch as a spare, or for the track, but other than that, they are worthless...... If you don't have "race ramps" (that's the actual name of the brand) get some. They make working on the car for stuff like this effortless. I can swap all four wheels out in about a half hour.........................no charge.................done.
All sounds good but there are plenty of just as good snow tires out there with higher speed ratings. I ran Michelin Primacy Alpins on a BMW 335i rwd for ten winters and sold them with 4mm tread still remaining. Fantastic tires on ice and in snow. Not sure why a good winter tire requires studs either, I had them on another beemer with the Nokians and found no difference. The Pirelli winters on my current Cooper S are good too and I have super sketchy roads to drive on at times here in the middle of central Alberta. I believe Michelin makes a winter tire for the Z06 that fits the 20” rim as well so that’s the way I’d go. I’ll stick to storing it for now for the winter.

Reactions: ddgermann and ccltj
All sounds good but there are plenty of just as good snow tires out there with higher speed ratings. I ran Michelin Primacy Alpins on a BMW 335i rwd for ten winters and sold them with 4mm tread still remaining. Fantastic tires on ice and in snow. Not sure why a good winter tire requires studs either, I had them on another beemer with the Nokians and found no difference. The Pirelli winters on my current Cooper S are good too and I have super sketchy roads to drive on at times here in the middle of central Alberta. I believe Michelin makes a winter tire for the Z06 that fits the 20” rim as well so that’s the way I’d go. I’ll stick to storing it for now for the winter.
Anyone who references a higher speed rating as a quality for a winter snow tire and doesn't drive their Z06 in the winter should probably.....hmmmm.....I'll leave it at that.

You can but there are plenty of cars besides Corvettes that surpass the “H” speed rating offered by Nokian. Using one type of tire doesn’t make you an expert on other brands and I’ll leave it at that.

You can but there are plenty of cars besides Corvettes that surpass the “H” speed rating offered by Nokian. Using one type of tire doesn’t make you an expert on other brands and I’ll leave it at that.
What makes you think I haven't tried other brands? I've been driving cars on Canadian roads since I was 16. That's 32 years of experience.....with Michelin, Bridgestone, Cooper, Pirelli, and many more. Also, I never said I was an "expert" so not only are you making assumptions about my knowledge base, you are putting words in my mouth. Poor form..... Bring your car on whatever tires you want and we can see whose performs better......oh yeah....you don't drive your Vette in winter......mic drop.... I'm out

Last edited:
Some guy’s driving a Lamborghini in the winter as well, Edmonton area. If I did it it would only be when the roads are frozen up(dry). And of course you’d need some winter tires on extra rims. I’d be a 2x a day car wash visitor too.
You might not be able to get out of the car after the wash as the door seal will have frozen up.
Then you can sleep in the car.

You might not be able to get out of the car after the wash as the door seal will have frozen up.
Then you can sleep in the car.
I'm going out to wash the car right now in -17C....the door seals don't freeze....ever. Nor does the back hatch. I've got two winters experience with the car in sub zero temps and probably approaching 50 washes.......I know from experience......If yours is freezing you've got a problem....

A lot of speculation going on here, and I seem to be the only one with real world experience driving this car in these conditions. I'd love to hear some input from someone who actually drives their car in winter, regarding tires, corrosion, maintenance, cleaning,....................................crickets..............

Last edited:
I'm going out to wash the car right now in -17C....the door seals don't freeze....ever. Nor does the back hatch. I've got two winters experience with the car in sub zero temps and probably approaching 50 washes.......I know from experience......If yours is freezing you've got a problem....

A lot of speculation going on here, and I seem to be the only one with real world experience driving this car in these conditions. I'd love to hear some input from someone who actually drives their car in winter, regarding tires, corrosion, maintenance, cleaning,....................................crickets..............
My hat off to you for showing this can be a four season car.
Keep up with sharing your experiences. It may encourage a few others to enjoy the winter driving pleasures,

Reactions: flyboy999
Thanx. That's exactly what I'm hoping. I'd like to see people enjoying this car as much as I do all year round. It's better in the winter than you'd ever imagine. It has exceeded my expectations by a large margin. These cars are not fragile like many exotics. They are built for all conditions. There is a significant investment in wheels and tires and heating pads to be made from the outset. (About $2500 CDN) But I figure, if you're going to spend over $100K on a car, that's a small investment to make to almost double your driving enjoyment. Cheers. I'll keep you all posted....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread