When talking about a "driving road", what three criteria do you feel are the most important?

• Posted Speed Limit

• Tight Corners (Lateral G's)

• Smoothness of asphalt

• Scenery

• Lack of traffic

• Brake use/acceleration out of corners

• Number of intersections and driveways

• Length

• Number of turns per km

Results are only viewable after voting.

EJChevy

Capitan of The Flying Banana
Power User
Forum Sponsor
Apr 10, 2017
Cobourg, Ontario
VetteCoins
Username Style Freeform (Sponsors)
Thread Title Style (Sponsors)
Car
2009 Base 1LT
Province
ON

mc-dougall-pkwy.jpg

Hey guys,

I'm going to try out a new project this summer with The Flying Banana. It's an idea I've been carrying with me for some time and feel it's the time to start tackling it.

I'm going to create a video series on YouTube about finding the greatest driving road in Ontario (possibly extend it out to the rest of Canada in the far future). IMO, a driving road is for "spirited" driving. I'd like to rank each road I investigate but want to keep it from being subjective and "my opinion." I'm going to use a selection of criteria and use points from each area to create the score for each road.

Here's where I'm asking for help: What criteria do you feel is the most important?

I'm starting with:

• Posted Speed Limit: Obviously, with a fast car, you want to drive as fast as you (legally) can.
  • Tight Corners: How many G's can you safely get in the corners without excessively speeding.
  • The Smoothness of Asphalt: Most people on this forum baby their cherished vehicle and don't want all of the bolts rattled loose.
  • Scenery: If you are bringing someone along with you, they might like something to look at. Perhaps you do as well.
  • Lack of Traffic: While everyone is allowed to drive on public roads, no one likes to sit behind another car while trying to have fun.
  • Brake Use/Acceleration Out of Corners: Going fast in a straight line can be fun, but doesn't beat the feeling of carving a tight hairpin and blasting out of the other end with your foot on the floor. Some roads have corners where you simply cannot meet the posted speed limit, you gotta hit the brakes and fly out the other side.
  • The Number of Intersections/Driveways per km: When you're on a fun road, you don't want to be thinking about the risk of someone pulling out in front of you, or someone ruining the groove by slowing down to turn off.
  • Length: You want a fun road to last as long as it can.
  • The Number of Turns per km: A fun road is a twisty road. The twistier, the better!

In the poll above, please select what you feel are the top three most important aspects of a driving road, to you. If you have ideas for other criteria, please let me know in a post. I'm open to ideas!

Also, if you know of any good roads in Ontario, please let me know! If you can, include a Google Maps link so I know where it is!

Thanks All,

Eric

Tough questions. My favourite roads are ones with tight corners, so basically every criteria except scenery would be on my list.

I really enjoy a scenic drive in a nice car, but it's a different set of feelings than being engaged in driving.

Tough questions. My favourite roads are ones with tight corners, so basically every criteria except scenery would be on my list.

I really enjoy a scenic drive in a nice car, but it's a different set of feelings than being engaged in driving.

I know it's a very tough decision. Please vote though!

Dude, I live on Hamilton Mountain. I need a Sherpa to get to work and back...

Hamilton "Mountain". It's a really steep hill. haha

It takes 15 minutes to walk up that hill. I used to do it every day when in college. 😝

It does have some fun driving roads along the edge though!

Awesome idea! Hard to pick only three though, really hard for these old grey cells after shift today; weekly report writing.
To avoid hijacking your thread, maybe, later in the year, we can start a different thread and include some short video from each province showing why we like a particular stretch of road. I am looking forward to your videos. I always enjoyed Mikey's videos from Alberta.

Forks of the Credit is a great run, as long as they don't put the speedbumps back in!
The last left hander, going east, cost me my shoulder, collarbone, and 5 ribs one day.
For some reason, a buck forty was a bit too fast. (GSXR750). I rode it home to Hamilton. That hurt.
FWIW. Elephant Lake Rd is my favorite in ON.

Reactions: EJChevy
I've done a few of those roads in my riding days, notably the Rattlesnake Point Road and a few of the Rosseau Backroads, as well. Once I went to visit a friend's cottage in that area and actually thanked him not only for the invitation, but for the directions he gave me, which allowed me two hours of twists and turns like I've never done before or since. There's a good one just south of Parry Sound as well, but it's not on the map. One of my favourites from years ago, is to take Brant Road, straight north out of Burlington. Go north of Highway 5 and enjoy the fun, until you get to the end, which is the road to Carlisle. You can go east over to Guelph Line and catch a couple of nice spots, and then over to Rattlesnake Point Road. I used to drag the floorboards of my bike through those turns. One had to keep the power on to get through them, as a 180 degree turn on a steep uphill slope is not one to go timidly through. Looking forward to some twists and turns in my C4, but unfortunately in the Windsor area, it's just way too flat for that.
Road trip time!