I'm New Here
Jul 11, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
2008 Corvette lemans
Province
ON
Proud new owner of a 04 vette.
Canadian weather I'm sure isn't a fan of the vette. Where do I go to buy a winter cover? Is it okay to store on my driveway during the winter?

Reactions: 12cents
Proud new owner of a 04 vette.
Canadian weather I'm sure isn't a fan of the vette. Where do I go to buy a winter cover? Is it okay to store on my driveway during the winter?

I had to leave mine outside the first 2 winters. Was advised not to cover as the wind would blow it around and scratch it. It was fine each year but glad I found storage last year

Reactions: LE BARON
In general, you can park a vehicle on a driveway for an extended period of time, unlike on the street. But it depends upon your area. For example, I lived in Palm Springs for awhile and our Home Owner's Association (HOA) had a rule which said you couldn't park on your driveway for an extended period. Or there may be a local by-law in your municipality which says something about that, but I doubt it. Anyways, it's best to ask your neighbours that question.

Congratulations. Search hard for a storage spot, it will drive you crazy seeing it sitting outside all winter.

Where in Ontario are you. Maybe someone knows a good spot nearby.

Pics would be great. You will enjoy your car, they are a great platform.

X2 with thomigun, a cover used outdoors will expose the car to constant slight scratching due the the movement in the wind. It is difficult to get the cover tight enough to prevent wind damage.
Rather that look at it sitting on your driveway all winter, install a set of Michelin Pilot Alpins and drive it all winter. I did that with my last Vette and will do it this winter with my new GS convertible. If you have a coupe, you can take to any brushless auto car wash to clean up once in a while. If a convertible, it can be washed at the manual spray booth. For the cost of a set of tires you can use the car all winter but you may want to purchase a set of rims just for winter use. You will be surprised at how well it drives in snow. That said you can't use it in 30 cm of fresh snow but our roads are usually cleared a couple of days after a storm. You are a lot more temperate in the Hamilton area than we are in Ottawa. Here's a photo of Corvette Product Manager, Harlan Charles driving his C7 vert in the Michigan winter and one of my 2017 C7 coupe.
Harlan Charles Corvette Engineer.jpg

20200112_135858R.jpg

Attachments

• 20200112_135858R.jpg
    20200112_135858R.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Wow
Reactions: BDK
The idea of corvettes being subject to salt, corrosive brine, slush, dirt , sand etc etc. just sort of strikes me as cruel and unusual punishment.
That was also my reaction to Corvette winter driving before I went to the Ron Fellows Corvette Owners School in Nevada. On day one of the course I asked if winter driving was to be avoided. Rick Malone, the chief instructor laughed and then provided some guidance. Essentially he said that the Corvette was not designed to be a summer car. It was in fact designed to be driven all year in all conditions. He gave us stories of how the car is extensively tested in Canada and the northern USA in the worst possible winter conditions. Another participant brought up the issue of slush and salt, etc and we were told that the car is better prepared to handle the road crap than most sedans and trucks because of the use of aluminum, plastic, carbon fiber and fiberglass in the construction; there is very little exposed regular steel. He did say that the paint should be waxed and cleaned regularly and front wheel splash guards are helpful. However Rick Malone said that winter tires are obligatory because the standard tires are virtually useless in snow and slush. Later in the course we had a 45 minute segment on tires including all season and winter. Keep in mind that we were discussing the C7 and I do not know what impact winter driving would have on a C5. Is there more exposed steel on a C5 or is it an aluminum frame?

That discussion motivated me to look at winter tires and wheels - winter driving became a total pleasure. I can attest that the Michelin Pilot Alpins are an excellent winter tire. The parking lot at a nearby shopping centre has a couple of large open areas and if I am lucky and get there before snow clearing, it is a playground for spins, slides and donuts. Otherwise the Vette is my daily drive all year except in extreme winter conditions.

Last edited:
I have to admit that the owners manual for my 91, does have several pages devoted to winter driving. I also have a friend who owned a 65 in 65. It was his only car, he put snows on the rear and drove it all winter, claims he never got stuck once. So..... okay it is possible
but I still think its cruel.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.