C4FX3

Casual User
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton
VetteCoins
Car
1989 FX3 Z51 Coupe
Hi there... Been saving my pennies for many years and finally picked up a Vette! I was only able to log 3000 kms before putting it to bed for the winter but ... BOY ...did I ever enjoy it.

Attachments

• PY2_1643.jpg
    PY2_1643.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 45
It's an '89. I am quite surprised how good the car turned out to be. I'd driven several C4's but when you drive friends Vette, you seldom "wring em' out" much, you know... The car is quick, responsive, rattle free and I like the styling.

Six speed with FX3 Select Ride. It's loaded up with every option. It only had 47,460 miles on it when I bought it in August. It was bought new in New York (?), it lived in Connecticut until it landed in Florida last year. I found it on Ebay and chewed my fingernails to the quick until the auction ended in my favor. I had it trucked to Bangor, Maine where I picked it up and drove it home with hurricane Danny bearing down on us all the way. I've never seen rain like that before, looked like a snow storm with high beams on. Even with 10 inch wide tires in the pooling rain, the old car never once put a foot wrong. I became attached to it right away.

Great to see a fellow C4'er in the mix of the forum. Sounds (and looks) like you found a real keeper. Looks like a great ride and these are the ones that I believe time will help raise the values of the most - but that's just my biased opinion.

Nice Car! I looks like it is in fantastic shape and it's good to hear that it was not damaged with the hurricane upon you. Welcome to the forum. Glad to have another C4 owner in the group!

Six speed with FX3 Select Ride. It's loaded up with every option. It only had 47,460 miles on it when I bought it in August. It was bought new in New York (?), it lived in Connecticut until it landed in Florida last year. I found it on Ebay and chewed my fingernails to the quick until the auction ended in my favor. I had it trucked to Bangor, Maine where I picked it up and drove it home with hurricane Danny bearing down on us all the way. I've never seen rain like that before, looked like a snow storm with high beams on. Even with 10 inch wide tires in the pooling rain, the old car never once put a foot wrong. I became attached to it right away.

thats a wicked fun ride!!! great ride. Love the manual shift in the C4's!! Especially in '89... one of the first production cars if i'm not mistaken that was ever offered in a 6 speed.

Yeah, the '89 Corvette was the first to use the bullet proof ZF 6 speed, it was supposed to be launched in the 1989 ZR-1, but due to production delays the ZR-1 only made it's debut in 1990. GM decided to test the ZF tranny with the '89. The skip shift feature took a bit of getting used to, with engine warm, between 12 and 19 mph and throttle at less than 35%, second gear is locked out and you are directed straight to forth gear, otherwise, the gear change is very positive. I know the 1967 Alfa Romeo Stradale had a 6 speed, but that was a race car for the street, only made a handful, don't know of any others.
Seems yours is a bit of a hot rod!

....just caught on to your login....clever

Last edited:
Well it is a little... :) Making the cam swap now and that'll be good enough. Seriously.. (I promise!!!) If I wanted even more I would have gone to a C6 Z06 but like I've said prior, I really like the lines on the C5.

You should be able to to get rid of that skip shift garbage with either a dyno tune or an aftermarket shift eliminator... Either way, I like that car. I had mine removed and the car is way funner to drive but I do once in a while do it myself around town when I'm taking it easy. I'll see how much the new cam affects torque below 2,500 rpm to see if I keep doing it!!

Anyone that knows anything about a '67 Alfa Romeo must also be Italian?? LOL

Naw, I'm not Italian, I just know a lot of "Stuff" about old wheels. A buddy of mine say's I'm a cesspool of useless information!
There's a neat little plug that cost almost nothing and takes 12 seconds to install that will eliminate the skip shift. I don't mind it because I can avoid it, but try to explain it to someone trying out the car for the first time, annoying as hell.
I love the C5, sooooo much more refined that the C4 and a lot friggin' faster. A hot cam and whatever else you did to yours must make it a scorcher. Nice, nice car.

Thanks Woodstock Car Guy...Went through your album, the car looks fantastic with those wheels and new paint, just great. I thought of tinting the windows but nervous for lack of visibility at night, do you find it tough to see out after dark?

Well it was a long shot. I would have been a genious if I was right lol.

Thanks!! I've gone as far as the wife is going to let me go with this venture. Any further an I'll have to somehow install a bed in it. She's understanding though because she knows me though.
Going on any road trips next summer with it?
[mob][/mob]

Thanks Riley P... Good to be here on a Canadian forum. That hurricane hit Florida as the car was being loaded on the transporter and the driver told me he was in the thick of it all the way up the Eastern Seaboard, four days worth! I'm not sure the car saw that much rain throughout it's entire lifetime.

Yeah, not too far though, Ferrari Historic races in Montreal, weekend trips to Halifax, stuff like that. Can't wait, only about 95 more sleeps !!!!!!!!
Hang on to that girl if she understands... Mine does when it comes to me and my old car...and bikes...and snowmobiles.... and truck ....

Thanks Woodstock Car Guy...Went through your album, the car looks fantastic with those wheels and new paint, just great. I thought of tinting the windows but nervous for lack of visibility at night, do you find it tough to see out after dark?

Amazingly, I notice very little reduced visbility at night. Mine is only a 20% tint. It is the darkest legal tint in Ontario and seems to work well at keeping the interior a little cooler.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.