Nik

Staff member
Power User
Administrator
Beta
Jan 11, 2009
VetteCoins
Folks,

Have a new experimental feature that I just added called Maps.

A map of ALL registered users with pins plotted on where the board has determined your location to be.

The way locations are determined are as follows (we try the below in this order):

1. New Map Location field under your user profile (this is different from the standard Location field you filled out when you registered). You can update Map location field independently of the Location field to replot your coordinates. As this is a new field yours will be blank.

2. Your CCF Location field - so if you put Planet Earth well, Google will probably pin you somewhere in Hamilton

In the interest of privacy we're not going to be using any other means to put you on a map. If your location field is bogus (probably a town somewhere) or blank then you won't show up on the map. If you've put a city/town name it will put you in the middle of that town, if you've put your address it will pin you on the address. Basically we're using information that's already showing on your member card.

You can click on each pin on the map and go directly to the Members Public card.

Improvements in the next few days:

1. Custom pins instead of the Google standard pin
2. More filters to show you users near you
3. Big feature: GPS lookups (opt-in feature), allow the board to plot your realtime coordinates and update the map.

The feature can be accessed in 3 ways:
1. Under Members->Map - this will show you a user map focused on your location which you can zoom out
2. Under Profile->Map - same as above
3. Under your Avatar Pic in your posts

Enjoy. It's fun to see where everyone is visually.

To repeat myself, if you want to update your location go to your Profile and add whatever address/city you want in the new Map Location field. So you can still leave Planet Earth, Under the Sea or whatever you want in your current Location field as is.

** All map data is calculated courtesy of Google Geolocation services, meaning if your address/town/made up name doesn't work in Google Maps it won't work on CCF.

Kewl Nik.... I have a Rural Route 3 address so Red Deer will be close enough.... Although I do get mail ocassionally addressed with "15 km SE of Red Deer". Good thing I have a friend that sorts mail for Canada Post...lol....

Help me I seem to be lost.:Confused5: I can't find myself, yeah I know therapy would help.:Biggrin:

Lots of people I have never heard of before, noticed a guy from Haliburton who registered but never posted. Seem odd. Hello Al Collins, welcome to the forum.

Neat feature. Us retired guys can now easily map out a route to go and visit people for extended periods of time.:Cheers2:

Help me I seem to be lost.:Confused5: I can't find myself, yeah I know therapy would help.:Biggrin:

Lots of people I have never heard of before, noticed a guy from Haliburton who registered but never posted. Seem odd. Hello Al Collins, welcome to the forum.

Neat feature. Us retired guys can now easily map out a route to go and visit people for extended periods of time.:Cheers2:

Try filling out the Map Location field in your profile boss and see how it goes. Also I noticed that Google Maps will not pin Haliburton (it's a county) so you may want to add a town name or something more specific that will pin you on a map.

Try it in google maps first, if it produces a pin it should work here.

I don't know how you can find anyone in Ontario anyway... the whole province is blue pins.... The Corvette owners alone could get together and vote in your own government.... Or did you already ?????? ..
:Beatdeadhorse:

Done some subtle updates to our Maps. Heatmaps or clusters as we call them now work better, we've also shotgunned pins that are on top of each other i.e. 200+ Torontos will net a small hive like cluster vs a long line.

I'm also going to be doing up some custom pins as opposed to Google's standard ones and dressing up the maps. Anyone has any cool pin ideas let me know.

In the future I'll be adding an opt-in function for users to give permission for the board to map them based on their IP address (means you never have to update your location). Again, strictly optional.

Users who are viewing this thread