canuckguy

Casual User
Aug 15, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2009 Z51
Sorry but I have a battery question. I seems like my battery won't hold a charge. I want to get a new one. With the current Covid I'm not sure what to do. I am hesitant about an AGM as I want to keep it on a tender or regular charger as needed. I've been thinking about a regular lead battery from Canadian Tire. There doesn't seem to be much options when I do a search. I have a 2009 base with z51. Thoughts and thanks?

Sorry but I have a battery question. I seems like my battery won't hold a charge. I want to get a new one. With the current Covid I'm not sure what to do. I am hesitant about an AGM as I want to keep it on a tender or regular charger as needed. I've been thinking about a regular lead battery from Canadian Tire. There doesn't seem to be much options when I do a search. I have a 2009 base with z51. Thoughts and thanks?

Not sure why an AGM, as opposed to a gel battery won't be fine on a tender. I would hesitate to leave a regular trickle charger on any battery but as a proper tender only charges when the battery voltage drops somewhat, and shuts off when full voltage is reached, it will be fine. A Gel battery does require a special charger though.

I am on my third battery, and this time I purchased one from Canadian Tire. I've had it going on 3 years, it's kept on a battery tender from Nov-April each year, and it has never let me down.
My previous AC Delco lasted for 6 years, on a tender, and I replaced it with a AGM Optima yellow top, kept it on a tender, and it gave up the ghost after a mere 6 months.
CTC batteries are just as good as any out there.

Good Luck with your decision.

Reactions: Dik
I am on my third battery, and this time I purchased one from Canadian Tire. I've had it going on 3 years, it's kept on a battery tender from Nov-April each year, and it has never let me down.
My previous AC Delco lasted for 6 years, on a tender, and I replaced it with a AGM Optima yellow top, kept it on a tender, and it gave up the ghost after a mere 6 months.
CTC batteries are just as good as any out there.

Good Luck with your decision.

East Penn Deka makes batteries for CDN tire as well as a number of other distributors. They have a reputation for arguably one of the best battery manufacturers out there, and to their credit, they are an independent 'American made' company....

• Agree
Reactions: Dik and 12cents
What’s the issue with the AGM’s, I’ve had mine in Trickle chargers for years over the winter.

What’s the issue with the AGM’s, I’ve had mine in Trickle chargers for years over the winter.
I didn't know if you could use a tender or a trickle charger or even a regular charger with an AGM. It seems after a lot of research that it's fine. Not so much with a "gel". Anyway I bought an AGM from Canadian Tire and so far it seems ok.

AGM is still a lead acid battery but the fluid is contained in absorbent plates. The trick is they will not handle trying to fast charge them with a regular battery charger. Stay with a battery tender with an output of less than 2 amps and you will be fine. Make sure it's a maintainer float style charger that completely shuts down charging when full charge has been achieved. Most regular chargers do adjust the charge rate as they charge but they never completely stop charging. You can cook any battery if it's left on a regular charger too long.

Not sure why an AGM, as opposed to a gel battery won't be fine on a tender. I would hesitate to leave a regular trickle charger on any battery but as a proper tender only charges when the battery voltage drops somewhat, and shuts off when full voltage is reached, it will be fine. A Gel battery does require a special charger though.

Correct Eric; my Hummer maintainer has a setting for AGM batteries. Genius chargers have it so likely many other brands do as well. However, I prefer this brand. Have had it on my very expensive designed for big winch draws batteries in my H1 fulltime for years and never a problem. They have many models of chargers/maintainers from huge with boost feature to little corvette appropriate maintainers.

1598144587264.png

I use Genius Chargers as well. Canadian Tire carries them and depending on the model they start at about $75. I run AGM batteries in my fifth wheel and use a Genius charger to keep them topped up over the winter. Works good.

Reactions: ddgermann
Our C6 has had good service from the OEM AC Delco 90PS batteries. The original battery installed when the car was built was replaced when the car was 7 years old in 2014 as a preventive measure even though it had never been a problem. I just replaced that battery with another AC Delco 90PS in June when it was 6 years old again as a preventive measure. I've never had a dead battery or electrical issue caused by a failing battery. I use a Canadian Tire battery tender during the storage months between October and April.

Reactions: Keith Tedford
WE bought our 2005 Corvette in 2012. The car had 13,300 miles on it and just had a new Delco battery installed before we bought it. That lasted until about 3 years ago. That one died a week ago. I use a C-Tek charger-maintainer on all our winter stored vehicles and the Corvette is the only one that has the short battery life. I've been told that, when you push the start button, in an instant, the computer checks all the electronics in the car. If it doesn't get a clear positive signal from all, the car won't start. A safety feature? Anyway, our car is running fine again with the new battery. Looking for a grade to park the car on is a bit of a nuisance and CAA is going to get tired of being called.

Last edited:
Like some others, I use a Canadian Tire battery tender, paid 40 bucks for it but works well. I also love the fact that it has two amp settings which came in handy a couple of times when I accidentally ran the battery down doing some work on her.

• Agree
Reactions: vintageracer
My '06 Z06 still has original battery in it. I bought it new in '06 and use a Battery Tender.
The Z06 have a "lightweight" battery which I was told was to save a bit of weight.
I was also told they don't last very long, go figure!
My charger is on it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 12 months of the year, unless it is being driven.
I connect to positive post under hood and negative to engine block.

My '06 Z06 still has original battery in it. I bought it new in '06 and use a Battery Tender.
The Z06 have a "lightweight" battery which I was told was to save a bit of weight.
I was also told they don't last very long, go figure!
My charger is on it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 12 months of the year, unless it is being driven.
I connect to positive post under hood and negative to engine block.

Wow.14 years. That's impressive.

Wow.14 years. That's impressive.
Yes it is, but unfortunately it is a garage queen. I drive it about 850 KM per year!!
Problem is I have 5 vehicles and I don't go many places.
I have 4 sons and take a great deal of razing from them!!
But truth be known I know they have all decided which cars they want after I depart to Corvette Heaven!!

I use ac delco battery. i don't use a tender. I take my bettery out and store it in the house over the winter months. I charge it up before install in the spring and they seem to be good all season. usually get about 6 yrs. out of the battery. 05 convertible with auto trans.

Reactions: Blu427
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.