Dik

Regular
May 7, 2014
St. Albert
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Z51 Convertible
I finished these “recent history” books (…well, I’m almost finished the third…) and highly recommend all three to anyone interested in post WW2 to 2011 covert military (some political and presidential) history, the key people and the after-effects of their decisions and actions.

The information in the books is compiled through personal interviews and recently de-classified documentation which the author managed to format into something a lay person can read, understand and enjoy. This is no small feat!

At the end of the books there are about ten questions for the reader to consider. These are great questions for a book club (and that’s NOT ME!) but they are worth checking out….

I listed the books in the order I am read/reading them:

Operation Paper Clip – The history of NAZI’s that were paid to live and work in the USA, during and post WW2. I had heard of (former?) NAZIs developing rockets for NASA but I did not know how many Nazis were brought to America and what kind of things they worked on and their “resume” as a NAZI.

My take: There are a lot of names to keep track of, but this was a major eye-opener. It was a difficult book to put down and I found I am morally conflicted with this entire operation.

Area 51 – Not what you think. Even though the book addresses “aliens” its mostly about the history and development of surveillance aircraft, nuclear weapons and details of post WW2 surveillance missions.

My take: This book is a bit technical so its not for everyone …. but I really enjoyed it.

Surprise, Kill, Vanish – This outlines the history of the CIA and details some of the most prominent missions and key personnel. This book is laid out mostly in chronological order with separate chapters dedicated to major historical events.

My take: An amazing book! Personally, I am finding (…. almost finished) this a fantastic read and an education on modern political history. If you do not understand how/why certain areas of the world are continually locked in terrible and seemingly un-solvable conflicts this book may put things into perspective for you too. NOTE: All through this book I am trying to sense an American bias, but I think the author did an excellent job. Considering her sources of materials, I think she stated her investigation findings with out bias. She leaves (judgement) to the reader. Oh. This book is only available in hard cover. The paper back comes out this summer.

Good write up. Sounds interesting.

Hi Black and thanks.

I have to repeat; I am finding the third book Surprise, Kill, Vanish explains how "we" (and this is the global "we"...) got ourselves into the political mess "we" witness on our international news.

.... I remember the days when we had drills to hide under our school desks.... The book tells me why.

On my to read list, thanks

As with many non-fiction books each sentence is packed with carefully chosen words. Makes for powerful reading.

Surprise, Kill, Vanish gave me a lot of insight into Russian politics (immediately after WW2), the Vietnam war, the Cuban Missile crises and the Middle East situations.

If anyone reads these books I'd like to hear their opinion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread