You're 5
Nov 4, 2018
Boston
VetteCoins
Car
2004 Z06
Province
USA
Just got my scores back from the NCRS judges that judged my car in May at the New England Regional. I volunteered my car to be practiced judged as they are putting the 03-04 manual together, & my year car won't be eligible to be judged until next year when the manual comes out.It scored a 91.3, but I can bring that score up higher if I remove my modifications, & bring the car back to stock. It was very educating going through the 3 day process. Ten judges went over the car with a fine tooth comb, & seemed to find every flaw. They broke the car down into 5 areas, Engine, Exterior, Interior, Chassis, & Operations. One of my judges (Tom) was from Canada, & I also met 2 gentleman from Montreal who drove their 65 Vettes down (Leon & Dave) for the Regional. I also got to meet Kevin Mackay ,author of the book (The Corvette Hunter) & got a signed copy.Looking forward to next year when it counts for real.

Attachments

• 2019-06-23_18-17-40_423.jpg
    2019-06-23_18-17-40_423.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 2019-05-17_10-59-19_535.jpg
    2019-05-17_10-59-19_535.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 2019-05-17_09-38-43_761.jpg
    2019-05-17_09-38-43_761.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 2019-05-17_10-33-37_498.jpg
    2019-05-17_10-33-37_498.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20190630_173516.jpg
    IMG_20190630_173516.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 68
91 out of a 100 from a bunch of old guys not all wearing glasses , no flashlights or mirrors etc practicing is probably pretty good...:Biggrin:... Now you have an idea what judges look for and can make your car score higher should you wish. I always felt it's people's comments at a show that count the most, not how correct or how much money you spent on it. Thanks 4 the info.

Reactions: Hotrodron
91 out of a 100 from a bunch of old guys not all wearing glasses , no flashlights or mirrors etc practicing is probably pretty good...:Biggrin:... Now you have an idea what judges look for and can make your car score higher should you wish. I always felt it's people's comments at a show that count the most, not how correct or how much money you spent on it. Thanks 4 the info.

They did in fact use flashlights & mirrors during the judging XFIRE82.
Just to give you an example of how intense their examination was, one of the deductions was for a little rust on the exhaust manifold heat shields.

Reactions: XFIRE82
......wow , I didn't know they could be that picky ! rust on exhaust components could of come from factory before it was even sold . So do they deduct how bad the orange peel is , as alot of new paint today is terrible. My 76 Sierra Classic 454 I bought new, on the hood is a one inch long hair in the paint probably somebody's mustache ?? so that would probably count as dockage even though it is original. Sounds like you did ok for a 15 year old car.

......wow , I didn't know they could be that picky ! rust on exhaust components could of come from factory before it was even sold . So do they deduct how bad the orange peel is , as alot of new paint today is terrible. My 76 Sierra Classic 454 I bought new, on the hood is a one inch long hair in the paint probably somebody's mustache ?? so that would probably count as dockage even though it is original. Sounds like you did ok for a 15 year old car.

They do deduct for orange peel if they think it's not original.I also got deductions for not having the original tires, battery, & cargo net just to name a few. Overall I am very happy with the score though.

Reactions: Dik and ddgermann
NCRS can be fun or a pain. Depending on how you look at it.
I have friends that had their car repainted because the paint was too good.
It was redone at an experienced NCRS shop that knows how to replicate factory issues.
They have nothing against super-quality paint jobs but are trying to be the ideal of what the factory turned out.
They have other classes of car judging now as well .
The survivor class is the most interesting as it represents a car that is as close as possible to factory without being restored too much. 20-30% max. To me this is the best. A survivor car takes quite a commitment over the years.
They also have classes now for cars that have recognized period correct modifications.
This is a fairly new section of NCRS recognizing the involvement that Corvettes have been to the car world.

Graham

NCRS can be fun or a pain. Depending on how you look at it.
I have friends that had their car repainted because the paint was too good.
It was redone at an experienced NCRS shop that knows how to replicate factory issues.
They have nothing against super-quality paint jobs but are trying to be the ideal of what the factory turned out.
They have other classes of car judging now as well .
The survivor class is the most interesting as it represents a car that is as close as possible to factory without being restored too much. 20-30% max. To me this is the best. A survivor car takes quite a commitment over the years.
They also have classes now for cars that have recognized period correct modifications.
This is a fairly new section of NCRS recognizing the involvement that Corvettes have been to the car world.

Graham

I agree totally with your summary of the NCRS, Graham and the addition of the new classes is what lead me to join.I failed to mention my car was judged in the sportsman class this year, but in the future it will be judged in the Concours class Stock Division. They allow some modifications in that class, & they also have a Concours Modified Division for any car that can't make the Concours Stock Division.

Last edited:
Ron, interesting I don't think my car ever had a cargo net. Maybe my mind is going!!

I still have my original battery but that sucker is not turning over my motor.

I never knew about a cargo net & cover( forget to mention that ) either Murray. But apparently those little hold downs located in the trunk are for the net. Wow you still have your original battery, I had mine as well until that mishap, that you helped me with last year.👍

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I think I still have the cargo net for my Corvette if you want it. :D
Pretty cool to hear about the experience!

Thank You for the offer Riley P, but I was able to find one online, but the cover for it is proving to be very difficult to find. It was a pretty cool 3 day experience, and to my surprise when I opened the July/August copy of the NCRS Restorer magazine, I saw 2 pic's of my car.

Ron a bit confused by this. If some items did not come on the Z06 would putting them in and on not be in some violation of the judging? For example the three wells in the truck of my car had nothing over them. The air pump and a few other goodies were installed in the passenger side well. Nothing in the other two. If you added covers would that not be an issue?

Just wondering.

Ron a bit confused by this. If some items did not come on the Z06 would putting them in and on not be in some violation of the judging? For example the three wells in the truck of my car had nothing over them. The air pump and a few other goodies were installed in the passenger side well. Nothing in the other two. If you added covers would that not be an issue?

Just wondering.

Yes it would Murray, but when my car was being judged they were going by old GM manuals, as they are in the process of putting the 03 & 04 C5 manual together now, so they weren't sure if the Z06 came with the same goodies as the base Corvettes, so basically they know they were making some mistakes, but were covering themselves. This was only a practice judging session, the 03 & 04's will be eligible for real judging in 2020 when the manual for our years comes out. But the cargo net is kind of handy, so I think I'll just remove it before the next judging session.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Yes it would Murray, but when my car was being judged they were going by old GM manuals, as they are in the process of putting the 03 & 04 C5 manual together now, so they weren't sure if the Z06 came with the same goodies as the base Corvettes, so basically they know they were making some mistakes, but were covering themselves. This was only a practice judging session, the 03 & 04's will be eligible for real judging in 2020 when the manual for our years comes out. But the cargo net is kind of handy, so I think I'll just remove it before the next judging session.
If your car came with a cargo net it would be listed on the production option sticker in the glove compartment. My 2001 came with it, listed as AP9 - Luggage Shade and Parcel Net (Coupe Only).

• Informative
Ron is this NCRS judging something that you want to peruse with your car? I have my original Goodyear tires off mine along with the battery that I will see if I can get a charge into. Let me know. Curious.

Murray

Yes it is Murray, I plan to acquire all the parts I'm missing.The head judge mailed me all the judging sheets, with all the comments from the judging team so I can work on all my deductions, & bring the car back to original.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.