Well, here it is. Not totally finished yet, but I thought I would post this for you all to see. The bezel is from Vette Nuts. The head unit is a Pioneer AVIC-5200. I've used the XSVI-2004 interface between it and the Bose speakers. The XSVI also retains RAP, which is nice. The cigarette lighter has been replaced with a dual USB receptacle that is connected to the head unit, so I can plug in my phone, or a USB key for more music or updates. I also installed a wireless backup camera, which saved me having to fish wires through the car.

IGtTfen.jpg

The bezel's finish is top notch. The texture and color are spot on, giving the impression that it came from GM. The added advantage over the Metra bezel is retention of the cup holder and ash tray doors, which gives a real look of authenticity. As for the fitment, it required a bit of maneuvering, and a touch of material removal to get everything to fit and sit right. This is not a PnP affair. The climate control module had to be shimmed out, or else you get a noticeable gap between it and the bezel. No biggie, I used an appropriate amount of stacked washers, along with longer screws to get it flush to the bezel.

For the head unit, I had to Dremel a touch off the inside edge of the top (where it meets the topside of the head unit), and about 1/8" off the bottom where it runs along the head unit. There's also some reworking of the sub frame that need to be done, namely removal of the old Bose unit's support bracket, as well as two tabs in the back up top to allow the new unit to go in completely. Some material removal of the center vent plastic work was also required to gain an added 1/8" in vertical space. When you're stuffing an elephant up a mouses arse, every little bit counts to keep the mouse from complaining. The GPS antenna I installed on the dash, next to the HUD display bezel. The wire can run down through the vent bezel (next to the light sensor), and to the head unit.

All in all, it's a task, requiring lots of "put it in, take it out, put it in, take it out" to get the fitment just right, but I'm really happy with the end result. If I have a gripe, it would be with the brackets. A bit short on the slotted side, and a bit short on the tabbed side. Since the head unit sits a bit offset in the sub frame, one tab offers ample coverage, while the other juuuust gives you enough to get a screw through it and the sub frame. Otherwise, a great product that gives new life to the C5 interior functionality. Bravo Vettenuts!!

Attachments

• 20180405_062815-2124x1195.jpg
    20180405_062815-2124x1195.jpg
    579.5 KB · Views: 11
Yes that looks factory. Lots of patience involved but in the end a fantastic job!

I like the wireless camera idea. These stereo units are coming with really great options and features now.

Yes that looks factory. Lots of patience involved but in the end a fantastic job!

I like the wireless camera idea. These stereo units are coming with really great options and features now.

Ah yes... a word of warning regarding the wireless camera systems...

There are two models; one with the backup trigger wire on the receiver, and one without. Due to a poor description on the sellers part, I ended up with a non-trigger wire model, which is not what I wanted. This means that when I go into reverse, the screen won't automatically switch to backup view, I have to go there manually on the head unit. The transmitter is powered by one of the backup lights. When I go into reverse, it activates the transmitter, which then starts transmitting to the receiver. When the receiver sees a signal, it sends a 12v signal to the head unit trigger, which in turn switches to backup view. Personally, this is what I want, and I'm waiting on the correct receiver right now.

The other option here is the non-trigger wire model, but there are caveats...

Cons;
- Transmitter in the rear needs 12v switched power. Can't use the Bose 12v harness, that's connected to battery. (More wiring, which we're trying to avoid)
- If reverse trigger switching is required, then that must be taken from the passenger footwell harness. (More wiring, which we're trying to avoid)
- No trigger means you have to switch screens manually. (Leaves lots of time for that beyotch in the Bimmer to steal your spot while your fiddling)

Pros;
- Bypassing the AVIC safety means you can display the rear view while driving. That mean's watching that poor ole Mustang/minivan/cheese eating teen bite it in real time on the big screen.*

* - Illegal and highly unsafe. You didn't hear it from me.:angelic:

Ah yes... a word of warning regarding the wireless camera systems...

There are two models; one with the backup trigger wire on the receiver, and one without. Due to a poor description on the sellers part, I ended up with a non-trigger wire model, which is not what I wanted. This means that when I go into reverse, the screen won't automatically switch to backup view, I have to go there manually on the head unit. The transmitter is powered by one of the backup lights. When I go into reverse, it activates the transmitter, which then starts transmitting to the receiver. When the receiver sees a signal, it sends a 12v signal to the head unit trigger, which in turn switches to backup view. Personally, this is what I want, and I'm waiting on the correct receiver right now.

The other option here is the non-trigger wire model, but there are caveats...

Cons;
- Transmitter in the rear needs 12v switched power. Can't use the Bose 12v harness, that's connected to battery. (More wiring, which we're trying to avoid)
- If reverse trigger switching is required, then that must be taken from the passenger footwell harness. (More wiring, which we're trying to avoid)
- No trigger means you have to switch screens manually. (Leaves lots of time for that beyotch in the Bimmer to steal your spot while your fiddling)

Pros;
- Bypassing the AVIC safety means you can display the rear view while driving. That mean's watching that poor ole Mustang/minivan/cheese eating teen bite it in real time on the big screen.*

* - Illegal and highly unsafe. You didn't hear it from me.:angelic:

More excellent information there. I had no idea there was this much complication in the choices. I have this back-up camera option on my Clarion system in my H1Hummer that I was considering installing. Now I will be sure to ask the right questions.

Thanks again!

Derek

PS: The rear camera on while driving option for the H1 is useless as I get passed by old ladies on bicycles on the street. But in the mud.... I can look at all the "awesome" black smoke blowing, jacked up and chipped up pick-ups get bogged down trying to follow me. :thumbs:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread