Featured Thread

Heiko

Casual User
Jul 16, 2018
Guelph, ON
VetteCoins
Car
2014 C7 Z51 3LT
For anyone that thinks the GM Map updates are too expensive, they are $60 off the regular price right now so $99 instead of $159. The 2019 set was just released the beginning of August.
GM | General Motors | GM - Next Generation Infotainment System Map Update - V.2019 | HERE
I got mine today... connected the charger to the battery, put the car in service mode and updated the system in about 50min time. Instructions say to not drive the vehicle but let it idle
in a well ventilated place during the upgrade.... no way was I going to let the car sit for an hour idling.... Anyhow update went very smooth, no issues in service mode.... just make sure you
hole the start button for the full 10sec otherwise you may be in accessory mode and the system might time out during the update. Put the ignition in service mode, connect a charger during
the update to keep the system from dropping the voltage and put the
Anyhow just wanted to pass this on in case anyone was thinking of updating their maps :)
Cheers
Heiko

This is good to know and a collective order of more than one might just have the $30 shipping charged once.

I've been doing a lot of roadless Corvette 4x4 driving on my 2016 map that I have :happy:

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
For anyone that thinks the GM Map updates are too expensive, they are $60 off the regular price right now so $99 instead of $159. The 2019 set was just released the beginning of August.
GM | General Motors | GM - Next Generation Infotainment System Map Update - V.2019 | HERE
I got mine today... connected the charger to the battery, put the car in service mode and updated the system in about 50min time. Instructions say to not drive the vehicle but let it idle
in a well ventilated place during the upgrade.... no way was I going to let the car sit for an hour idling.... Anyhow update went very smooth, no issues in service mode.... just make sure you
hole the start button for the full 10sec otherwise you may be in accessory mode and the system might time out during the update. Put the ignition in service mode, connect a charger during
Anyhow just wanted to pass this on in case anyone was thinking of updating their maps :)
Cheers
Heiko

They're still too expensive lol but great info and thanks for the post.

Reactions: vintageracer
According to the compatability, the list says 2014-2015 corvette does that mean that my 2016 is up to date?
Click the GM Logo ...
Then Click Chevrolet ...
Then Click Corvette ...
Then Click 2016
You will get your update part as I did for my 2016 as all C7s have an update available. My 2015 Sierra and the 2017 c7 has one too.
For some reason, our 2015 Acadia update can only be purchased through a dealership ... weird.

Last edited:
They're still too expensive lol but great info and thanks for the post.
Personally I agree they should be free just like Garmin Life time updates which comes with every basic $200 GPS these days. We pay through the nose for the NAV options in vehicles and they come with no updates. Anyhow I figure $100 every 3 or 4 years isn't the end of the world... and I'm happy to say that even the latest roads added in our subdivision are now showing on the map so I'm happy I did it :)
Cheers
Heiko

• Agree
Reactions: drvette and YFCvii
For anyone that thinks the GM Map updates are too expensive, they are $60 off the regular price right now so $99 instead of $159. The 2019 set was just released the beginning of August … just wanted to pass this on in case anyone was thinking of updating their maps :)
Cheers Heiko

Thanks for the heads up. The special price appears valid until the end of the year.
I just completed a collaborative order of 7 updates and split the shipping fee for a reduced net total each :thumbs:
(can't wait for my Corvette to drive on roads again - i.e. Calgary ring road & Edmonton NE ring road) :joyful:

I do have Car Play and had it going on my Summer 6000km trek
but found it was the GM Map that I was using in areas where there
was little to no cellular reception for my phone.
Phone roaming data $ add up too with Car Play Mapping.

Last edited:
  • Agree
My 2017 actually shows Stoney trail in SE Calgary where my 2015 had me driving cross country when I took my first trip over the new road. It even guided me from my house in the far NW to TTA Rob's house in the far Southeast for a cruise. Might wait until the next update is available before I update. With WiFi turned on in the car wife follows along on her iPad while we drive and we compare maps but they each seem to miss alternate things. When all else fails pull the 2012 edition of the Rand McNally Atlas from the trunk and carry on. :cool::):cool:

So...…………..cruising another forum and someone mentioned that shipping is only $3.95. Went back to the US site and I do see $3.95 shipping in the US. I might reconsider and ship to my place in AZ.

Last edited:
My 2017 actually shows Stoney trail in SE Calgary where my 2015 had me driving cross country when I took my first trip over the new road. It even guided me from my house in the far NW to TTA Rob's house in the far Southeast for a cruise. Might wait until the next update is available before I update. With WiFi turned on in the car wife follows along on her iPad while we drive and we compare maps but they each seem to miss alternate things. When all else fails pull the 2012 edition of the Rand McNally Atlas from the trunk and carry on. :cool::):cool:

So...…………..cruising another forum and someone mentioned that shipping is only $3.95. Went back to the US site and I do see $3.95 shipping in the US. I might reconsider and ship to my place in AZ.

HAHAHA yes somedays the GPS sends you on a scenic route for sure! Not sure how much logic goes into the routing.... I guess it all depends how well the roads are classified when they make them. I still like the Garmin (although I hate having it stuck up in the window) or just the google maps version that runs on my cell phone (works well too). Lately I've been using the app called 'Waze' as its pretty good 'and free' and it even points our police locations when people report them :)
I had it shipped to the states as well... shipping within Canada or to Canada from the US always costs a pile....
H

Reactions: ccltj and ddgermann
For those who order this update …
I just received 7 updates Fed Ex overnight …
awesome fast delivery service ...
have to wait and see if I get a follow-up gst bill from FedEx
165E83C0-C4CD-494C-B126-028C74426974.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ddgermann and Heiko
GST = not so bad ………………..customs and duty :Ack2::mad::Ack2:
You should be home free if they left the package Spence - hope to meet some day soon. :Cheers2:
Bob
Thanks Bob … there is a tremendous bunch of Corvette Owners meeting for Dinner at Boston Pizza in Cochrane this Friday night at 7pm
and they are letting me join with them too :joyful: its the prelude to the Mountain Cruise this weekend to Golden BC. You are most welcome to join
for Friday Dinner at Boston Pizza and meet a few of these characters who are on CCF :thumbs:
Better yet … check the final post for the cruise and book a room and join with us the whole weekend … or maybe you already are

If anyone ever wonders if the USB map updates are actually VIN encoded, the answer is 100% ...…

YES

5 of 7 boxes in my recent order are the same part number for vehicles that include a 2017 stingray, 2017 z06, 2016 stingray, 2017 Cadillac XT5 and a 2017 GMC Sierra. The Boxes did not come marked for certain vehicles so I wondered … it took me until the fifth box (same part number) until I had success with the USB for the 2017 stingray. Now one of the remaining 4 I found to work in my 2016 stingray ... so now I have 3 left that are obviously VIN dedicated.
Putting the wrong USB into the vehicle did no harm, the screen simply displayed “invalid” and “dismiss”.

So my curiosity has been resolved ... and sharing with you all now

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann and Nik
If anyone ever wonders if the USB map updates are actually VIN encoded, the answer is 100% ......

YES

5 of my 7 boxes are the same part number that includes a 2017 stingray, 2017 z06, 2016 stingray, 2017 Cadillac XT5 and a 2017 GMC Sierra. It took me until the fifth box until I got the USB that worked in the 2017 stingray. The packages are not marked in a multiple order. Now one of the remaining 4 worked in my 2016 stingray ... so I have 3 left that are obviously VIN dedicated.
Putting the wrong USB into the car did no harm, the screen simply displayed “invalid” and “dismiss” ... no harm.

So my curiosity is done ... sharing with you all now

Yeah they wouldn't want people downloading them like in the old days with the DVDs.... :angelic:

• Haha
Cheers
Heiko

Thanks for the Info ..
Never really using my Nav that much but I better ask my dealer about this update.👍

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.