Power User
Oct 8, 2016
West Vancouver, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2022 C8 Z51 3LT HTC
Province
BC
I went to use my nav. (2016) the other day: man it drove me crazy! I used voice command: no problem with city or province; but, the street name - 1455 Crown Street - gave me every street except and none were even close to Crown. Finally, it sais use manual which I could not figure out -driving already. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

I can tell you that cursing at her doesn't seem to help. :Beatdeadhorse: There just appears to be some words the poor girl just does not hear right.

GM and software/electronics have not had a good relationship. Thankfully most OEMs have had enough sensibility to add AA or Carplay and hand that over to companies that can do a better job. If you have the ability please update and start using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Google and Apple voice recognition is miles and miles ahead of any built in system. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can do to improve this other than keeping up with the Nav updates.

I agree with Nik. Most factory NAV systems are junk. The NAV in my TBSS wouldn't even work because it was out of date and I refused to spend $200 to get an update to something that wasn't even as good as my 10-year-old Tom Tom. At least I could get free updates on that and I could change the voice to be Darth Vader or even Ozzy Osbourne.

My phone works great, and although my wife seems to have trouble getting Siri to understand her, I can get both Apple or Android to work quite well. I have a suction cup cradle for my phone to stick to the windshield, and it works in any vehicle I drive. Perhaps not as cool as the 8.4-inch screen, but I prefer functionality over looks.

I purchased my 2016 Stingray at the same time as I upgraded Navigation on my 2015 Sierra.
When I purchased the upgrade I noticed that the 2016 Corvette was included in the same upgrade.
I immediately asked for it from GM and whatever Company does the damn thing as part of my recent purchase.
They had to get back to me and eventually reported that my 2016 Corvette was listed in error. The 2016 Corvette was removed from the list.
Ok, I gave in with them that as errors happen. Well no sooner than I was celebrating 2017, I checked the Nav-update
website and to huge surprise ... that "error" was on the list again.
SO screw-it ... time to determine the "best of these evils" and spent January through to Spring 2017, educating myself with Apple Car Play.
This actually turned out not too bad and I just have to adjust to the hands free calling button on my steering wheel with a "special handling" for making calls
by holding it down (and not just pressing it).
I also had to figure out that I needed my phone plugged into a console USB for Car Play to work best

Last edited:
I agree Apple Car play works way better that the factory voice recognition platform.
I gave up on mine and use CarPlay for what I need now.
I almost crapped myself laughing trying to educate the system from the car.
"Did you say turnip". Hahaha
Stupid thing. :Hurray:

I find the one in the vette to be terrible. Even trying to voice hands free dial a call it gives me the wrong person over and over.
NO I AM NOT DIALING CANDY AT 1900WHATEVER I AM DIALING MY WIFE CINDY DAMNIT!! :bag:

The one in my 2012 Ford 1 ton works MUCH better. Pretty disappointing in this day and age to have something that crappy in a car of this level.

I find the one in the vette to be terrible. Even trying to voice hands free dial a call it gives me the wrong person over and over.
NO I AM NOT DIALING CANDY AT 1900WHATEVER I AM DIALING MY WIFE CINDY DAMNIT!! :bag:.

They do develop a memory for spoken names Randy... Perhaps 1-900 Candy has been requested from your car numerous times before....Just sayin'.... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Pep and ddgermann
NO I AM NOT DIALING CANDY AT 1900WHATEVER I AM DIALING MY WIFE CINDY DAMNIT!! :bag:

The one in my 2012 Ford 1 ton works MUCH better. Pretty disappointing in this day and age to have something that crappy in a car of this level.

Ohh OOOO .... reset to Factory Settings before Cindy finds out !!!

Reactions: ddgermann and Pep
Ohh OOOO .... reset to Factory Settings before Cindy finds out !!!

I think Candy was preprogrammed into my last 2 Vettes as well.
Kidding.. it was Trixie.
There is a ton of threads all over complaining about the poor voice recognition from GM. Corvette is not exclusive and got no better voice recognition software then a Colorado pick up.
The section in the manual on how to train the system is laughable and put me off almost immediately. :Banghead:
Apple and Android and apparently Ford and Dodge are miles ahead on this. Such a shame as the system in huge and has tons of capability...potentially.
There are some funny youtube vids of guys trying to demonstrate it too.
D

They do develop a memory for spoken names Randy... Perhaps 1-900 Candy has been requested from your car numerous times before....Just sayin'.... :rolleyes:

LOL! I remember when Hands-Free was first coming out and the company had to upgrade our phones so that we could support hands-free and have voice control. I had to program the phone to recognize who I wanted to dial, but it was based on what I recorded and had nothing to do with how the name was spelled.

Press the button. "Call Dumbass". Display: "Calling Kelly P. "

I think Siri and Android both work pretty good, but my wife has a hell of a time. For whatever reason, she keeps getting directions to somewhere in Ontario. Or Idaho. Once, she actually got driving directions to Hawaii (I still haven't figured that one out), all while looking for a local address. She gets mad and specifies "Calgary, Alberta, Canada" and still gets directions to somewhere far away. "Cochrane!" - "Getting directions to Grand Canyon, Arizona." I can't help but laugh. "You are on the fastest route. You should arrive in 32 hours and 17 mintues." LOL!

Reactions: ddgermann and Pep
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread