Nov 9, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
C8 2021
Province
QC
I got an alert low pressure on my passenger rear tire, I put back air, but after inspection I found that I have a nail stock in the thread. It's a Z51 with only 2050 KM and I already have a flat. 😒

My question, are those Michelin Pilot Sport 4S a run flat and can we fix them or need to be replace? I looked online and it's 600$ fore one tire... hopefully it can be fixed.

I got an alert low pressure on my passenger rear tire, I put back air, but after inspection I found that I have a nail stock in the thread. It's a Z51 with only 2050 KM and I already have a flat. 😒

My question, are those Michelin Pilot Sport 4S a run flat and can we fix them or need to be replace? I looked online and it's 600$ fore one tire... hopefully it can be fixed.
Some will try to sell you a new tire but they can be plugged. I had one plugged after picking up a nail. No problem at all. Still holds air several years later.

Here is what Michelin says:
Is it safe to repair a flat tire?

If a tire loses all or most of its air pressure, it must be removed from the wheel for a complete internal inspection to be sure it's not damaged. Tires that are run even short distances while flat are often damaged beyond repair. Most punctures, nail holes, or cuts up to 6mm (1/4 inch) -- confined to the tread -- may be satisfactorily repaired by trained personnel using industry-approved methods. Don't repair tires with tread punctures larger than 6mm (1/4 inch), or any sidewall puncture. Also, never repair tires which are worn below 1,6 mm (2/32 inch) tread depth. Your best bet is to make sure your spare tire is always ready to do the job. Check it regularly for proper air pressure and be sure that it is in good shape. If your car is equipped with one of the several types of temporary spares, be sure to check the spare tire's sidewall for the correct inflation pressure, speed, and mileage limitations. See your dealer for expert tire repair.

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Run Flat tires are more difficult to repair than regular tires. There was a very good article recently in the Globe & Mail's Drive section- see extract below

Lou's Garage - run-flat tires and why they’re not as easy to repair once punctured.

First time owners of run-flat equipped cars are almost always caught off guard when they arrive at their dealership to have one of those tires repaired due to a nail or puncture. What they expect is the prompt repair or patch, but what they get is an estimate for a replacement tire. If they are lucky, they will only need to purchase a single tire, but more often or not, if their vehicle is of the all-wheel drive variety, they will be pushed to replace the tires in pairs. So much for a simple tire fix. Adding further insult to injury, the cost for run-flats in some cases is as much as 30 per cent more than a conventional tire.

Run-flats, or zero pressure tires, have one distinct advantage. If you ever do get a flat, they can be driven on with zero tire pressure or for approximately 50-100 kilometres, which should be more than enough time for you to get to an auto repair shop. Vehicles from BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Mini and many Cadillacs come standard with run-flat tires, which accounts for about 14 per cent of the tire market. These auto manufacturers save on weight, which boosts fuel economy due to the lack of spare tire, jack and tool kits. This fuel economy boost may be minimal, but the engineers at these car companies know that most of their customers don’t change their own tires and instead opt for roadside assistance, so why not take the weight savings?

In addition to the added cost as mentioned above, reduced tread wear is a common complaint for run-flat tires; in other words, they wear out faster. The sidewall does all the work in any zero-pressure situation and must therefore be reinforced and made of heat-resistant rubber, making them far less pliable than a conventional tire. This thicker sidewall produces a noticeably harsher ride, forcing the tire manufacturer to seek a solution to soften the driving experience. Using a softer tread compound achieves that and offsets the roughness, but unfortunately does so at the price of tread life.

So, can you repair a run-flat? The answer is a firm maybe. If the sidewall indicates “do not repair,” then obviously the answer is no. Alternatively, the tire manufacturer Bridgestone’s FAQ section writes “some punctures may be repaired under certain restrictions.” Finding a tire professional and having them inspect the tire to see if it meets the criteria necessary for repair is mandatory. However, I highly doubt that your dealer service department is going to offer you that service, as most auto manufacturer literature prohibits run-flat repair. You are free to go outside the car dealer environment and visit a recognized tire dealer for the brand in question and ask them for a second opinion.

It sounds like you've been keeping the tire inflated so hopefully any sidewall damage (from driving on a totally flat tire) has been avoided. Many say the ability to fix a flat on a run-flat tire, depends upon how much mileage you put on it while flat. The informative article that tvr quotes from above mentions a run-flat being repairable after 50 to 100 km. If I ever get a flat, my first choice will be "towing" the car on a flat-bed to a repair shop to avoid driving on it, if possible. So yes you should be able to plug it. However many people recommend not only a plug, but removing the tire from the rim and patching it as well, to ensure a better fix. Good luck!

It sounds like you've been keeping the tire inflated so hopefully any sidewall damage (from driving on a totally flat tire) has been avoided. Many say the ability to fix a flat on a run-flat tire, depends upon how much mileage you put on it while flat. The informative article that tvr quotes from above mentions a run-flat being repairable after 50 to 100 km. If I ever get a flat, my first choice will be "towing" the car on a flat-bed to a repair shop to avoid driving on it, if possible. So yes you should be able to plug it. However many people recommend not only a plug, but removing the tire from the rim and patching it as well, to ensure a better fix. Good luck!
I drove around for a week on this. It showed no signs of any other damage.
tire rip.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: vintageracer
It's fix, using a plug, was a small nail and the repair took only 20 minutes. The tire pressure was never below 26 PSI, so no other damage beside the nail. Now I will monitor to make sure it keeps the air pressure.

Wow, that could of been dangerous. Was it loosing air?
I can't recall actually, but probably not. My point was rather that these are very good at running flat, but are not great at avoiding damage. Low profile (small sidewall) tires are prone to this kind of damage I'm told. Avoid potholes at all cost!!

Reactions: Maximus74
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.