Oct 16, 2017
vancouver
VetteCoins
Car
Not the politics. My Ford dealer is selling 47 F150's per month and that's just my sales guy. My rural dealer sells more Fords then any west coast dealer, including California. End free trade, etc. Its Merica that loses not Us! Canada now has a similar agreement with the EU. If the USA ends free trade, we'll just go European cars and American vehicles will have a major loss of new car sales of about 40% that is currently exported into Canada per month from Merica......... Go ahead end NAFTA. Give me another reason to avoid Merica shopping wise.

Not the politics. My Ford dealer is selling 47 F150's per month and that's just my sales guy. My rural dealer sells more Fords then any west coast dealer, including California. End free trade, etc. Its Merica that loses not Us! Canada now has a similar agreement with the EU. If the USA ends free trade, we'll just go European cars and American vehicles will have a major loss of new car sales of about 40% that is currently exported into Canada per month from Merica......... Go ahead end NAFTA. Give me another reason to avoid Merica shopping wise.

So what did Canadians do before 1994 when NAFTA came into effect? I was driving American made then as well. Ford trucks have been the Canadian number 1 selling truck for 50 years so I'm not sure that's gonna change.

It may be the case in BC that if NAFTA is scrapped, that everyone goes out and buys European, but take a look in Vancouver and it appears most drive Asian imports now anyway. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that most of us here on the prairies that buy and own American, will continue to buy and own American. NAFTA or not.... JMRNO though....

And btw... If just your sales guy in selling 47 trucks per month, get him to take you out to dinner more often cause he's raking in 50 to 90 k per month in commission alone.... unless he's giving them away. :thumbs:

Reactions: ddgermann
I forget sometimes Canada is also beyond the Rockies from us in BC..... They get very low commission on hot sellers and new trucks. Under $200 per truck. Mine he cleared $75 after rebates, etc....... But at 0% I'll be in it for $41k on paper. Sell it in Arizona or Texas. Its like driving the truck for free. Last one was sold for around $38k CDN after a year of driving it........... My point. NAFTA benefits America and Mexico more then us in Canada. Washington State was going to let Canadians shop there sales tax free. Until a study by the state department via Harvard pointed out BC spends enough in that state. They'd lose $1 billion in sales tax revenue from Canada just in WA. Merica needs us more then we need them!

Reactions: Brent08
Oh the sales guys get very little with all the rebates Ford offers them. I do know guys in car sales that make excellent above middle class earnings. I worked at a Suzuki dealer here cause I could broker any new car on the side. It was almost like being an owner income wise. Now though to sell trucks and mini vans in volume. The money is in fleet sales. Regular sales you basically intro the buyer to the finance people.

I live in Maine on the Canadian boarder with family on both sides .I was married in Canada and my parents came from Canada .I've seen the changes over 70 years and few changes have been that great .Canada has always been taken for granted and insignificant in most cases .I bet only 1% of mid state students could name a providence ,the Canadian capital nor the name of the prime-minister,
When crossing the boarder we would wave and smile at the boarder guards on both sides .Since 9-11 both sides look like swat teams .

NAFTA was a flawed agreement between the US and Mexico because of wage rates .The same is not true between the US and Canada .If NAFTA is repealed I doubt that little changes will be made except minor adjustments on some trade items .

God bless Canada

Some Americans get ticked because they see my stuff as anti-American. Nope we are basically a state with no voting rights. I too miss the pre-911 days and crossing the border, etc. Passport is annoying, etc. Canada customs sometimes plays cops too much lately and its annoying too. I'm conservative in that we shouldn't change to be progressive, etc. The old days of the 1980's was like going through a California fruit inspection station when entering from other states. Border wise.

Some Americans get ticked because they see my stuff as anti-American. Nope we are basically a state with no voting rights. I too miss the pre-911 days and crossing the border, etc. Passport is annoying, etc. Canada customs sometimes plays cops too much lately and its annoying too. I'm conservative in that we shouldn't change to be progressive, etc. The old days of the 1980's was like going through a California fruit inspection station when entering from other states. Border wise.

Try the rest of the world... CDG in Paris for instance.. or some Asian Countries. Not a real pleasant experience sometimes.
Can/US border is a a cake walk if you keep your attitude in check and simply show some respect.

Our border between BC and WA is very busy at times. The customs agents can be a little bit snarky at times. No matter "how" polite you are and "respectful". I miss the days they didn't have "police" powers in Canada. Female agents in Canada are a different story. Its the younger males that like playing "cops" and treat you like a criminal here that I dislike. They train new agents here most of the summer. Believe it or not, Canada customs treats police officers very badly. I've gone South with my cousin and her husband lots. Both RCMP and corporals. Get hauled inside every time with them on the Canadian side.

Our border between BC and WA is very busy at times. The customs agents can be a little bit snarky at times. No matter "how" polite you are and "respectful". I miss the days they didn't have "police" powers in Canada. Female agents in Canada are a different story. Its the younger males that like playing "cops" and treat you like a criminal here that I dislike. They train new agents here most of the summer. Believe it or not, Canada customs treats police officers very badly. I've gone South with my cousin and her husband lots. Both RCMP and corporals. Get hauled inside every time with them on the Canadian side.

Lol. Lots of drama unfortunately.
I guess I’m just lucky and almost always get friendly agents on both sides. The overly serious ones I run into now and then, I just answer the questions and move on.

I have never had a problem at any border. Have never been searched.... Even coming back from Jamaica wearing that bulky down-filled parka with the huge pockets .... WHOA horsey!.... that was a joke.... Seriously, I think attitude and politeness does mean a lot.... And I can also agree that there are probably some crossing agents that are not happy with their place in life, or wife, and take out their frustrations at work.... Maybe I've just been lucky and haven't ran into that one yet.... I did get detained for about two minutes bringing a guitar back from Mexico once... seems you are suppose to check the 'yes' box when it asks if you're bringing any wood products back into the country...Who knew that a guitar was considered wood.... o_O

Reactions: ddgermann
Maybe a west coast deal and I usually cross at least once per week......... I have more exposure to the CDN/US border due to that. Currently waiting for my new enhanced license, as that does make things quicker and easier driving across. Airports here in Canada have different rules on what they can and can't do search wise...... Its like the police inside airports. Car border they have more "powers" to search you without "probable" cause.

I'm also somewhat anti-American in that too many here treat American made as if its Canadian. Since 9/11 America has basically dropped allies like Britain and even Canada in some ways. Its become too much if its not 100% American its crap mentality. Their patriotism is too much at times. A little respect of Russia would go a lot further over the current mess. If I was "president" Id bring back the poppy and Remembrance Day, they created it and stopped it in 1954. Cold war is over and they are not doing a good job with the war on terrorism or North Korea! I'm very polite with police, etc..... I just don't put them on a pedestal as "supermen".

Reactions: Brent08
Back to NAFTA my Ford Fiesta was made in Mexico ,not the US ,not Canada .It's my opinion that Canada has suffered manufacturing losses more than anyone .

I've never been harassed by any Canadian law enforcement or boarder agent .The only problem we've ever had is that the family farm ended up on both sides of the boarder .The Canadians have never treated it as an issue but we have had issues with the US boarder patrol at times .Back in the 60's we had buildings on both sides and cows we're on both sides and no one cared .Due to taxes we now only farm the land on the US side

I promise you that Canada will be fine

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.