Mar 4, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
Little red 2020 C8
Province
ON
Too many morons in the world.
The guy started his pass in a non passing zone where he can't see oncoming traffic!
He's doing about 100!
It's a good thing she was already braking to turn into our driveway. If she was doing 70 she and the car would be toast!
1664036425508.png

1664036079673.png

Unfortunately, in Ontario only, it is not against the law ( HTA ) to pass on a solid yellow line. Should be.
Good everyone is ok.
Ya, they are guidelines in Ontario. Still, by law or not they shouldn't be ignored.

Reactions: Noreplacement
Are you saying the oncoming person started before those yellow interrupted lines which allow passing?
Yes, the dotted lines start right at our driveway. He started about 150 to 200 feet before that. He started to get back on his side right where passing starts. Right in the second picture at our driveway.
To put it in perspective he was about 30 meters from my wife when he started to get back in. At 100 kph it takes about 1 second to travel that far. He had (and used) that time to get completely back over. A life and death decision in the blink of an eye

Yellow is guideline, white is the law.
Actually, I don't believe that to be correct. Neither is law.
Doing what is not recommended is unsafe and can lead to a careless driving charge.

Last edited:
Murray, you are correct (it happens once in a while)
Funny thing is, Ontario seems to be the only place in North America where the lines are guidelines. I assumed it was like Ontario in the States and was quite surprised when the midengine forum advised me otherwise. Good thing I don't drive outside Ontario. lol

From the photos it looks like there is the crest of a hill involved. That driver can still be charged under section 149 of the Highway Traffic Act:

(1) No vehicle shall be driven or operated to the left of the centre of a roadway designed for one or more lines of traffic in each direction,
(a) when approaching the crest of a grade or upon a curve in the roadway or within 30 metres of a bridge, viaduct or tunnel where the drivers view is obstructed within that distance so as to create a potential hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction;
(b) when approaching within 30 metres of a level railway crossing.

From the photos it looks like there is the crest of a hill involved. That driver can still be charged under section 149 of the Highway Traffic Act:

(1) No vehicle shall be driven or operated to the left of the centre of a roadway designed for one or more lines of traffic in each direction,
(a) when approaching the crest of a grade or upon a curve in the roadway or within 30 metres of a bridge, viaduct or tunnel where the drivers view is obstructed within that distance so as to create a potential hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction;
(b) when approaching within 30 metres of a level railway crossing.
Absolutely and I would have called the cops on him, but did you notice he has a smoked license plate cover? Dam illegal and here is one reason why he should be ticked for it. I can't read the plate.

In BC, white lines are used to separate lanes moving in the same direction ie lane markers for traffic moving in the same direction and you cannot change lanes over a solid white line. However, I was really surprised to learn you can pass traffic where there is a single solid yellow line.

1664561732568.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: OL Yeller
In BC, white lines are used to separate lanes moving in the same direction ie lane markers for traffic moving in the same direction and you cannot change lanes over a solid white line. However, I was really surprised to learn you can pass traffic where there is a single solid yellow line.

View attachment 101287
It's funny how different the 2 are, really. It's like a lot of laws in the states. They like to write new laws when new things happen like cyber laws, whereas Canada applies existing laws to fit the situation. In reality whether the lines are law or not when something happens like ignoring line suggestions (or laws) the result will likely be very similar. In Ontario it would result in a careless (or dangerous) driving charge (quite serious) and in BC it is likely similar.

All these years I sit behind pokey because it's a solid yellow. First time I pass on a solid yellow with my wife in the car, she's gonna bitch me out and I'll be living in the dumpster again. Freedom....
There are a ton of roads around here that they couldn't be bothered measuring and marking for passing so it's a solid yellow line for miles. I know where I can pass and where I can't. Maybe that's why jerky was passing where he shouldn't. The yellow lines in Ontario are arbitrary!

All these years I sit behind pokey because it's a solid yellow. First time I pass on a solid yellow with my wife in the car, she's gonna bitch me out and I'll be living in the dumpster again. Freedom....
If you've got to live in the dumpster, pick the one at Tim Hortons. At least you'll have all you can eat day old donuts.

There are a ton of roads around here that they couldn't be bothered measuring and marking for passing so it's a solid yellow line for miles. I know where I can pass and where I can't. Maybe that's why jerky was passing where he shouldn't. The yellow lines in Ontario are arbitrary!
Partly right Murray, they also solid line some roads in an effort to keep speeds down and reduce passing.

Partly right Murray, they also solid line some roads in an effort to keep speeds down and reduce passing.
Which is why some won't pass tractors. That may be very well true, but it's also just dumb. You make driving irritating then you increase road rage.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave91TM
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.