May 24, 2015
VetteCoins
Car
1978 Corvette
Since I got my car on June 5th 2015 which it's a 1978 Corvette with the L82 and automatic some of my gauges are not accurate.

The cluster speed is not accurate.. it's like 15 - 20 km behind.. I need to go at least 100 km on my cluster to run at 80km

The tach is also not accurate.. when the car is completlely stopped it will be at 0 - 5 rpm

And my gas gauge wobbles like a bobble head and it's not near accurate..

Could it be a ground issue or I need to replace some parts..???

Since I got my car on June 5th 2015 which it's a 1978 Corvette with the L82 and automatic some of my gauges are not accurate.

The cluster speed is not accurate.. it's like 15 - 20 km behind.. I need to go at least 100 km on my cluster to run at 80km

The tach is also not accurate.. when the car is completlely stopped it will be at 0 - 5 rpm

And my gas gauge wobbles like a bobble head and it's not near accurate..

Could it be a ground issue or I need to replace some parts..???
Hey Sly.... The speedo is mechanical so no wiring problem there, The tach may have to have the needle re set so it starts at 0 rpm ,you pull the needle off and turn the key on then replace the needle at zero rpm{ more info on the net} the gas guage may have to be replaced if it bounces while driving..(the gauge has a built in buffer so when the fuel sloshes the gauge doesn't bounce) A good way to check the electronic gauges for a ground problem is turning on the dash lights.... if the gauges read differently with the lights on or off you have a power or ground problem. good luck.

Reactions: boB E
I found the problem with my fuel gauge which I posted it another topic which it was a previous owner that was too cheap to replace the defective paper circuit board.

Attachments

• IMG_20150721_194808.jpg
    IMG_20150721_194808.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 31
Got a few goodies on July 28th that I ordered from Eckler's. Last week I got a brand new fuel gauge and a new printed circuit board. Today I got a brand new center gauge console, a brand new clock.. warning plastic lens for GEN Low fuel, seat belts. Front and rear factory speaker harness since the previous owner cut it.. and a brand new plastic lens that covers the gauges..

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 23
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 25
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 23
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 24
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 24
  • pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 24
  • pic7.jpg
    pic7.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Jr. Corvette
Finally put the new center console back together last weekend, Replaced all light bulbs, Replaced the printed circuit board, Replaced the clock, Replaced the gas gauge, Replaced console lens, Replaced the whole console with a new one, Replaced both warning labels. and the gas gauge and clock now works.. yay :)

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 28
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 27
Ok last summer I was having issues with my speed cluster being not accurate and I was saying that there is a possibility that the previous owner before him might have upgraded the differential to a 3:70 from a 3:55. As I was working on my car today and I was removing the rear spring I realized that the rear end was never touched. The rear spring kinda fell apart and the bolts were all factory originals which they were in bad shape. So is there a possibility that a transmission kit or some sort of work have been done on the transmission to have the speed cluster out of accuracy?

ok I just found out that my rear end is a 3:55 gear and now I need to know why my cluster is 10km over.. so maybe the tranny (TH350) got some upgrades and it's causing the problem..

Hey Sly..
That rpm vs speed in the photo is not right!
Are you still in second gear??
Do you have another tach(or borrow) that you can connect to your car to verify rpm?
Also run side-by-side with a newer car with digital speedo to verify speed.
Graham

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.