Power User
Oct 30, 2013
Haliburton, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Z06
Province
ON
1) EV's will become the most stolen vehicles in history. Not of course for the value of the body or parts but the fuel source.

2) We do not have an electrical grid capable of handling a conversion from ICE to EV. Despite promises of electrical happy days in IMHO just cannot be done. Never mind that hydro distribution seems somewhat fragile, there simply is not enough energy to pump through overstressed hydro grids. At some point the government will tell people on which days they can drive and when they cannot.

Had to laugh there was a story about a trucker pulling into a service centre for fuel. Six EV's all lined up on charge out front. Huge diesel generator behind the building pumping out "green" power for the six. That works!

1) EV's will become the most stolen vehicles in history. Not of course for the value of the body or parts but the fuel source.

2) We do not have an electrical grid capable of handling a conversion from ICE to EV. Despite promises of electrical happy days in IMHO just cannot be done. Never mind that hydro distribution seems somewhat fragile, there simply is not enough energy to pump through overstressed hydro grids. At some point the government will tell people on which days they can drive and when they cannot.

Had to laugh there was a story about a trucker pulling into a service centre for fuel. Six EV's all lined up on charge out front. Huge diesel generator behind the building pumping out "green" power for the six. That works!
Now we need to know how much truth there is in this story, or if it is one of the common misrepresentations of EV charging.

Now we need to know how much truth there is in this story, or if it is one of the common misrepresentations of EV charging.

What is completely true is that here in Ontario we do not have anywhere near the infrastructure nor the Hydro capacity to support 1 in 5 new vehicles sales being EV in a mere 30 mths

• Agree
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
@vintageracer a number of years ago I worked on a project with General Electric in Oakville, Ontario. They had received a substantial amount of grant money to upgrade their plant that made incandescent light bulbs. Paul Martin spoke at the ceremonies to highlight the governments commitment to improving efficiency and productivity. Within months the plant announced it was closing due to new technology in light bulbs that would reduce significantly the demand on the grid.

So out with the light bulbs but in with just how many cars, trucks, motorcycles, heavy equipment and god only knows what else. If you have some knowledge of significant improvements to the power grid please share because I want to know.

They have been working on the nuclear plants for years but some of it is still not on line. I know if I had to depend on the Hydro Grid system where I live a backup generator is an absolute must. Our neighbours by the way have a generator to back up their solar panels that don't seem to work so well in the winter. The batteries however must be charged.

Why did Wynn split up Hydro and sell a good portion of it to her "supporters".

What is completely true is that here in Ontario we do not have anywhere near the infrastructure nor the Hydro capacity to support 1 in 5 new vehicles sales being EV in a mere 30 mths
Not really about Ontario, but gives an idea about how many places can cope...

@vintageracer a number of years ago I worked on a project with General Electric in Oakville, Ontario. They had received a substantial amount of grant money to upgrade their plant that made incandescent light bulbs. Paul Martin spoke at the ceremonies to highlight the governments commitment to improving efficiency and productivity. Within months the plant announced it was closing due to new technology in light bulbs that would reduce significantly the demand on the grid.

So out with the light bulbs but in with just how many cars, trucks, motorcycles, heavy equipment and god only knows what else. If you have some knowledge of significant improvements to the power grid please share because I want to know.

They have been working on the nuclear plants for years but some of it is still not on line. I know if I had to depend on the Hydro Grid system where I live a backup generator is an absolute must. Our neighbours by the way have a generator to back up their solar panels that don't seem to work so well in the winter. The batteries however must be charged.

Why did Wynn split up Hydro and sell a good portion of it to her "supporters".
Correct me if I'm wrong... wasn't Ont. Hydro split in 1999? Mike Harris was premier then.
Yes, Wynn and the Liberals sold off (privatized) Hydro One. At the time, I thought it was a bad idea. Short term gain/long term pain. I still do. Isn't it a Conservative thing to privatize as much as possible (eg. 407) BTW.

This does not seem to be relevant to my original questioning of the diesel generator and 6 charging EVs story though..

@vintageracer I assume it was one of those places in the dusty west of the US that run the entire facility on Diesel because it is cheaper than hooking into the grid. I have been into those places so I can understand the thoughts of the trucker.

I looked at part of the link you provided. What bothers me is that it is always about the EV "Haters" which I am not sure is accurate. Rather people wonder just how all this use and recharging is going to work in practical terms. For example how do people living in a downtown core with only street parking hook into the grid? Maybe the answer is simple but no one seems to want to talk details.

By the way for the last 25 years of my working life I worked on projects that involved the movement of equipment with DC power and chargers. I would not say I hated my job!!

Yes. Street parking is certainly a problem to overcome. One thought is to have power access points in street light poles. Some communities have already done that.
In 2021 there was an 18% increase in the number of chargers in Canada. Fast charger numbers grew by 39%.
Whether or not that sort of increase rate is adequate is another story.
20% of new sales to be EVs by 2026 is another questionable target. So far sales (although increasing fairly strongly) are not meeting original expectations for various reasons.... including lack of supply.

• Informative
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
;) ;)
IMG_6039.JPG

I have no issue with electric vehicles, but the correct application for the correct tool. Running around the city in an ev makes some sense. Travelling in an ev in rural Manitoba, Sask, or Alberta would be impossible. Road conditions, weather conditions, grid capacity, and types of vehicles used here, make the jump to ev’s next to impossible on the time frame indicated by the sock puppet and his handlers.

As with everything from this government, this is grounded in fantasy and illusion.

Surprised that no one has mentioned the theft issue. I suspect, like the current crop of heavy industrial batteries for material handling equipment, is that there really are limited basic/specifications and physical sizes. The equipment manufactures have designed battery compartments/counterbalance weight/voltage and amp hour requirements so a single battery will fit a multitude of makes and applications.

Car manufactures I am sure will do the same, a "custom" battery pack is highly unlikely in the mass market. As has already been pointed out the battery is going to be a very expensive component. Your car no longer runs or does not run the times it used to is going to be a significant issue. Theft will be one answer to that significant issue.

What does trouble me from a taxpayer point of view is the willingness of governments at all levels who rush to be "greener" (and I really do not think they are) than the next and spend significant revenue for equipment while entering into contracts with the "charging" side of the EV market. If the concept of EV is so workable, as we have been told, why do these companies need commitments from governments to supply charging stations? The area where I live was historically built on the ICE for tourism, development, housing and yet I don't recall one single "gas" station being built on government owned land let alone entering into financial agreements leaving the taxpayers on the hook. I suspect that these arrangements are extremely profitable for these companies.

Again just my humble opinion but I suspect I will be long gone by the time I would need to purchase my first EV. :Biggrin:

I am setup (in NB) for burning propane to charge a future EV during speculated mandatory “no-charge” electric-grid blackouts. I am speculating that these $20k (all-in installed) beasts will pop up everywhere. Then I speculate that urban noise by-laws will evolve to further make any justification for an EV near impossible to sustain. I actually installed this Generac to heat the home (mentioned in a different thread) during weather events and for future life once more and more EV get added to the demand. In the meantime a peace-of-mind backup.
My daughter is already checking out the Chevy Bolt she wants - that our beloved Gary (velocity yellow) has inspired during our time of getting to know him. 😇👍🏻

61C538B4-BF40-427E-80CC-1C740109DF58.jpeg

I am setup (in NB) for burning propane to charge a future EV during speculated mandatory “no-charge” electric-grid blackouts. I am speculating that these $20k (all-in installed) beasts will pop up everywhere. Then I speculate that urban noise by-laws will evolve to further make any justification for an EV near impossible to sustain. I actually installed this Generac to heat the home (mentioned in a different thread) during weather events and for future life once more and more EV get added to the demand. In the meantime a peace-of-mind backup.
My daughter is already checking out the Chevy Bolt she wants - that our beloved Gary (velocity yellow) has inspired during our time of getting to know him. 😇👍🏻

View attachment 94715
My son just ordered a Bolt. He told them he didn't want it this year! LOL
No problem they said. He'll be lucky to get it for next summer. Took the one with the heated seats

View attachment 94715
I might just whip down there this summer and cut the hydro lines to see if it works SN. No charge to you for my efforts LOL

I might just whip down there this summer and cut the hydro lines to see if it works SN. No charge to you for my efforts LOL
Had to pay NB Power to come out twice to do just that for testing and approving the system on the generac install start-up day last month. Everything has a fee … 💸 … and reason for how the all-in cost kept going up.

The visit for a back patio drink will be a good plan of course. 🙂👍🏻

Last edited:
I chuckle at the EV commercial on TV having a campout type heater powered from the EV … thinking … oh nice … good luck having enough battery in reserve for the trip home. Thinking every thing that is turned on while driving an EV will compromise the distance one can go before needing a recharge. All just crap talk for now until I get closer to the day for even considering one for purchasing. 🙂👍🏻

Reactions: 12cents
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread