Jul 12, 2018
Richmond, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2005 C6 Z51 6 spd
Province
BC
I was packing the car for a trip recently, left my keys in the cup holder, and managed to lock the car with the keys inside. This was weird because I didn't think it was possible as the owner's manual says it's not, and I've left my keys in the cup holder before. I have a second keyfob but it was in the car as well, as I'd packed it in my suitcase as I don't like just having one set of keys when heading out of town. I was able to get back into the car by having a new key made at a GM dealer, so $20 and one hour later was back in the car, and it could have been a lot worse.

My G35 has a special wallet key with a smaller head meant just for this. It's not a bad idea having a spare key, I now have it in my wallet, and I actually used to keep a spare key in my wallet of my previous cars. I'm now wondering if this was a fluke or if it's worth turning off auto locking? I do like the auto locking and it's the only problem I've had with it after having the car for over a year.

Last edited:
I was packing the car for a trip recently, left my keys in the cup holder, and managed to lock the car with the keys inside. This was weird because I didn't think it was possible as the owner's manual says it's not, and I've left my keys in the cup holder before. I have a second keyfob but it was in the car as well, as I'd packed it in my suitcase as I don't like just having one set of keys when heading out of town. I was able to get back into the car by having a new key made at a GM dealer, so $20 and one hour later was back in the car, and it could have been a lot worse.

My G35 has a special wallet key with a smaller head meant just for this. It's not a bad idea having a spare key, I now have it in my wallet, and I actually used to keep a spare key in my wallet of my previous cars. I'm now wondering if this was a fluke or if it's worth turning off auto locking? I do like the auto locking and it's the only problem I've had with it after having the car for over a year.
One of club members had both sets of keys in her purse in the trunk area. The car locked it’s self much to the surprise of all in attendance. Lucky for her she had another one at home that she had to get a drive home to retrieve.....so it happens.

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
It can definitely happen in the trunk area, which I read about soon after getting the car, and confirmed by testing, but I was very surprised by the passenger area, specifically, the cup holder. I've driven the car on a few occasions with the keys in the cup holder. The cup holder also isn't that far from where the keys would be in my pocket.

no matter what vehicle you have, always a smart idea to have a key hidden on the car someplace either in one of those magnetic boxes or just taped up someplace , it is cheap insurance. Don't know what the newer gen Vette have , but my 93 Rosie was first year for the passive key remote and I have to admit the experimental feature does work. Just walk away from the car with the remote and it locks, approach the car and it unlocks , impossible to lock the keys in the car unless maybe if the battery is dead in the remote.

no matter what vehicle you have, always a smart idea to have a key hidden on the car someplace either in one of those magnetic boxes or just taped up someplace , it is cheap insurance. Don't know what the newer gen Vette have , but my 93 Rosie was first year for the passive key remote and I have to admit the experimental feature does work. Just walk away from the car with the remote and it locks, approach the car and it unlocks , impossible to lock the keys in the car unless maybe if the battery is dead in the remote.

You are scaring me a bit Michael.. that’s some newer tech there. 🤣

But it is a great feature I agree.

• Haha
Reactions: XFIRE82
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.