Featured Thread
Jan 31, 2018
Etobicoke
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2011 GS A6
Actually there were three stretches of road, on two different road trips. I don’t have pics of the vette on the road, just pics from the cabin looking forward, but you’ll get the gist.

The first was an underpass going under I-40 on Historic Route 66 between Tucumcari NM and Newkirk NM. In a number of instances, the original routing has been turned into service roads beside the Interstates, sometimes called ‘Frontage Road’. The Interstates often bisect the original routing, so you need to switch from one side of the Interstate to the other. Mostly, there are overpasses to do this. Mostly. This was an exception. There was a short stretch of dirt (not gravel) and warnings about not taking RV’s through there and the usual warnings about standing water. Didn’t look too bad, so I pressed on.

View from above:
Route 66 I-40 underpass culvert near Tucumcari, MN.JPG

View from the cockpit:

I18_0715_1402_8011.jpg

The second stretch was the Dixie Highway road trip, on 1 SW Federal Highway in FL, which was documented to be part of the original routing. The road surface quickly became pure sand, but it seemed pretty hard packed and once again not gravel, which I avoid like the plague. So, I pressed on, but things became increasingly hazardous, what with numerous ruts left by trucks when the sand was wet. There was no real place to turn around, and I was concerned that I might get stuck if I stopped, so I kept going. I did have some idea of how long the stretch was. I wasn’t going all that fast, but I did nail a few of the higher ridges with the splitter. Nothing got damaged, and nothing got caked with sand, except for a bit on the splitter which I attended to at the first self-serve car wash. Now I’ve gotten a bit smarter, and even though it takes some time, I traverse my road trips first with Google Earth to make sure the routing is paved in some fashion.

1 SW Federal Highway from the cockpit.
I19_0821_1119_8838.jpg

The 'Sand Plow'
I19_0821_1245_8839.jpg

The above experience convinced me not continue on the Dixie Highway north out of Espanola Fl. At one point, the entire stretch there was paved with bricks, so I drove to the point the bricks ended, turned around and found another route to continue on.
If you look closely, you can see the bricks.
I19_0827_1013_8927.jpg

Attachments

• I19_0827_1013_8927.jpg
    I19_0827_1013_8927.jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 21
The road to Hana in Hawaii, but in a rental( all the way around - long story)

Yes, we did that road starting on the gravel side and coming out late in the afternoon with the flow of traffic on the normal route. Yes it was a very long way around. Some amazing scenery along the way. Was in a rental jeep with the top off. Accidently missed Linburgs grave though. Google was on point but we got distracted. :Biggrin:

B38A1406-50AB-4641-B124-2F5E60C9EBFC_1_105_c.jpeg

Road 108 New Brunswick. Runs from Grand Falls to Miramichi, which seemed like a good route as we needed to cross NB heading to PEI. Started out paved, quiet, nice scenery,lots of corners, then it got a little rough, actually shook the roof loose about 20 miles in , but no where to turn around so we pressed on. Then the last 20 miles or so, the absolute worst washboarded under construction road ever. Usually you can find a less rough lane in washboard, not here. Had to trundle along in second gear and we thought the vette was going to rattle itself apart. Needless to say we looped south to Fredricton on the way back.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Cairns to Darwin in Australia. A number of highlights and unusual sightings. Not in a corvette but a small camper van with girlfriend.

Crossing your first road train on the shared 1 lane road. Make sure to give way and not share half the road for them. It takes. Like 5 min for dust to clear and you fingers are crossed nothing hits you from the back.

seeing and smelling dead cows and Roos on the side.

making sure to hit every gas station you see even if prices were 2-3 x higher.

Scotland... not in the vette but it would certainly be enjoyable. Most of the roads are just centuries old paved, narrow , two lane routes.
The corners are tight with sometimes very little forward visibility. You are on the wrong side, shoulders are non existent, and there are stone walls about 2 feet clear of the edge of asphalt. I was comfortable up to about 50MPH, posted is 60, and my cousins drove at about 80! However, with all the slow downs for corners, and pull overs to let trucks and buses go by you only average 25MPH. By comparison in Scotland you drive, in Ontario you just loaf along, and the scenery in the Highlands is amazing. (the Pubs are good too.)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread