Rruuff Day

Staff member
Power User
Beta
Aug 30, 2014
VetteCoins
I posted a bit of a trip recap in General but will also post here.

here goes. My 60th bd run...

Well.... Back to the real world of work and praying for a long warm fall. Montana and Wyoming cruise was great. Had never been to Yellowstone... a bit touristy but a pretty impressive place... Thanks to all the suggestions... Brenda and I found some great roads and spectacular scenery.... Ok... ALL the roads were great... stayed on the twisty turny lesser travelled roads as much as possible which was almost the entire trip... what a great area for a sports car... never a boring moment behind the wheel.

For anyone interested, we left Red Deer bright and early on the 12th...crossed the border at Cardston. Down to St. Marys and made a last minute decision to drive further south and take Marie's pass through Glacier as we did the road to the sun last year. That was a great choice. About 20 km of not the smoothest pavement in the world but not real bad...after that it was smooth sailing and zero traffic on some of the best roads for a corvette I've been on. And did I mention....Zero traffic... the opportunity to release a few ponies and let the car do what it does best....Sweet! To Hungry Horse MT for the night, then off to Missoula and then to White Hall for the second night. Lewis and Clark Cavern tour the next morning and then off to to Virginia City and then West Yellowstone where we spent the night again… little hint here…. Book ahead for lodging in West Yellowstone… We arrived at 4pm and scrambled to find the last bed in the Town…. We won’t talk about the cost but suffice to say it was a gorgeous chalet that would sleep 8. So what if I had to follow the path of bluesman Robert Johnson and sell my soul for gas money for the rest of the trip….

Woke up the next morning to drizzly rain but after my baby’s initial shock of never having seen rain before, we toured the sights of Yellowstone for the best part of the day. Little too much slow moving traffic and road hogging buffalo and elk for my liking but once again, some pretty impressive scenery.

From Yellowstone we kept meandering south finding every twisting road we could and pulled into Jackson WY for the night. Nice town but definitely caters to the tourists… found a real nice leather jacket in a shop on main street and not that I was looking to buy it but the $3600.00 on the price tag knocked the wind out of me… That’s American dollars too… sheesh… that’s a down payment on a new C7…. hmmmmm.

Next morning was drizzle again but we braved it and headed north on the east route through Yellowstone and popped out the east gate to sunshine and cruised into Cody WY in time to partake of the Buffalo Bill Cody museum …. A great hit for Brenda as she is a shirt tail relative of the old sharpshooter…. Another hint here… we spent 3 hours in the museum and covered less than 1/8 of it. I should have known when the girl stamped my hand and said it was good for two days….

Next morning it was off again west and up the Beartooth pass… that turned into another first for my baby as the elevation increased with every minute until we reached the top of the world gift shop and were greeted by a raging snowstorm and 32 degrees (Fahrenheit) … and were informed that the pass was closed just up the road…. No tough decision here…. Since I had left the tire chains home for this trip, back down the mountain we went headed east through Yellowstone to Cooke City for fuel and then to Livingston.

Livingston is a great little town and after supper and some night life, we ended up in a bar called the Mint where I tried to buy and antique Schlitz beer globe off their wall. The girl just happened to own the bar and although she wouldn’t sell me the globe, she took us into a back room where I was able to barter for some other antique bar memorabilia for my man cave.

Next day we were off again and headed towards home…. Visited several quaint little towns like Belt, Fort Benton and Big Sandy on the way through and wound our way up to Havre for our last night.

The off bright and early headed north.... crossed the border after a 20 minute chat with the crossing girl and onward to Cypress hills, north to Oyen and west to Red deer... all in all a great trip. Car performed as expected, no speding tickets and 8.9 l/100km average for 4000 km. Not bad considering the amount of 35 mph driving in the mountains of Jellystone.

By the way, this will be the last entry from me and my baby C6. After much consideration and looking, I have pulled the trigger and found a new C7 to sit in my garage until spring rolls around again... I take delivery tomorrow so will post some pics and details in a bit as I leave for hunting camp after tomorrow also....lol... suffice to say, it's an LT3 with the ZF1 package.... Daytona sunset orange.... will have some C6 add-ons for sale but that will get posted when I get back on the 19th..... (Corsa Sport Axle backs, new in May with 5000km, Varraram Snake charmer that's never been out of the box, and a solid Victory Red roof top that's never been used. PM me if interested. Here's my new baby. Her name is Ginger. Looking forward to the spring when we can bond as car and driver...

5473d1395684802-like-current-c7-colors-want-new-ones-including-potential-replacement-2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-daytona_sunset_metallic.png

Reactions: MikeysZ06
Thanks everyone, looking forward to spring now. No Black, didn't even get a hat... I obviously should have had you here negotiating with me...lol... here she is at rest in her new home...with a whopping 100km showing... hopefully we get out for a little run before Alberta weather sets in.... but I will visit her for coffee every morning before work anyway, much like the C6... I think they appreciate that... lol...

DSCN2141r.jpg

Reactions: MikeysZ06
Thx Riley. I think she's happy in her new home too. Soon as I get time, she'll get waxed and covered to keep the dust off.... yes... it does soothe the soul to be able to visit our babies through the drought.... pm me if you make it to RD this winter. maybe we can get Paul and Don and a few guys together for a BS session of coffee and mourning over the sad season....

Eric

Down to St. Marys and made a last minute decision to drive further south and take Marie's pass through Glacier as we did the road to the sun last year. That was a great choice. About 20 km of not the smoothest pavement in the world but not real bad...after that it was smooth sailing and zero traffic on some of the best roads for a corvette I've been on. And did I mention....Zero traffic... the opportunity to release a few ponies and let the car do what it does best....Sweet! To Hungry Horse MT for the night, when we can.

Hmmm,I believe that's Montana 89? 15 years since I drove that road. And yes,I concur. One of the best ( driving wise ) roads I've ever been on. But, some of the poorest asphalt quality I've seen for a road boardering a National Park too. And that was in 02. Sadly,we were in a Jeep TJ.

This sounded and read like a really good trip.

Mikey, an interesting thread to pull up from the dark ages. I had forgotten about Eric's trip and his last run with the C6.

Very cool.:thumbs: Eric that was a good looking car, just like the C7.:canada:
MT 89 from East Glacier up to St Mary's is one of the best roads,bar none. It's just to bad the condition of it is the way it is, either way though,I wish I had gone down there a month after I bought my car instead of Vancouver.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.