Featured Thread

Heiko

Casual User
Jul 16, 2018
Guelph, ON
VetteCoins
Car
2014 C7 Z51 3LT
Added the Cupholder/Cigarette lighter Backlighting as well as changed the Fuel Rail cover script from Red to Blue :)

IMG_8800.jpg
IMG_8805.jpg
IMG_8806.jpg

Those are very nice and tasteful additions. Great, more stuff I have to do to my car now, lol.

The cup holder and cigarette lighter backlight is just 3 single 12V LED's which cost me a whopping $5, the fuel rail scripts weren't bad
just took a while to get three coats of paint on. The back lit button power is actually on the dimmer and feeds .2V - 3.8V depending on
the setting which is just enough to run the 12V LED's dim enough so they aren't crazy bright; I had some 6V LED's but even they are too
bright at 3.8V so this works out really good in my opinion. I still have a few more interior light mods I want to make but I don't want to make it look
tacky. The two little lights in the cargo area I have to say are a joke, I think that's about the only other thing I want to change now as far
as lighting goes.

Last edited:
What was your prep and what type of paint was used on the fuel rail covers. Nice job. I was contemplating nail polish? Mine have some of the letters that appear to almost have been rubbed off by the under hood covering. Our 2014 was bought in 2017 and dealer said the covers did not qualify for a warranty replacement.

What was your prep and what type of paint was used on the fuel rail covers. Nice job. I was contemplating nail polish? Mine have some of the letters that appear to almost have been rubbed off by the under hood covering. Our 2014 was bought in 2017 and dealer said the covers did not qualify for a warranty replacement.
I hear ya on the letters coming off... the red stock paint was chipped in a few spots on mine as well... If you take a metal straight edge and just tap on the red paint you'll notice it chips off like icing sugar... pretty cheap in my opinion... Anyhow I took a flat fine file and scuffed off all the red paint without scratching the base material, then took a 400 grit sandpaper on a small sanding block and just smoothed out the surface of the letters... then sprayed some 3M Heavy Duty brake clean over it and wiped it off... ready for paint... I used the GM touch up stick bought at Canadian tire which thankfully is not thick paint.... then slowly and evenly applied a very thin coat by hand... if it runs over the edge clean it up with a Q-Tip and some paint thinner quickly.... once you have the first coat on, let it dry then take a sand block with some 1000grit sand paper and lightly go over it just to get any paint dimples off... then apply one or two more coats as needed... Personally I think it looks way better then the red original paint and being its automotive paint it should stand up to most harsh chemicals, oils etc.
H

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.