Rmktim

Casual User
Jul 20, 2015
Bromhead
VetteCoins
Car
1985 C4
agonizing over three mods i want to do. If anyone has done let me know the outcome.
1) air pump delete kit, installing a throttle body spacer and air foil.
2) changing to the dial analog gauges.
3) deleting the pass side dash hump and installing the flat panel.

Your thoughts and or results please. #1 i am concerned with any codes i may cause, want to drop the converter as well.
Thanks guys

Nelson should be able to chime in on this one! He has some pretty good tips on some basic mods for the early C4's.
I'm looking forward to seeing the gauges and if the engine mods help you out.

My 85 vette has the hump delete wit a glove box I think it looks pretty good.

I put the air foil in and it did nothing that I noticed, The air pump delete I did on both of mine and it just basically cleans up the engine bay and I think it will maybe give you 3-5 HP.

What you can do is take your catylitic converter off and bang out the inside and reinstall it that will give you a boost in acceleration probably worth 20 hp.

put a K&N filter in.

put a higher stall torque converter in, TPI a mid range torque so it will hit the powerband.

Adjust your throttle valve cable so it shifts a little harder, mostly for the fun factor.

The best mod is lower rear gears my 85 vette had 2.73 rear end so I changed it to 3.54 and it made a huge improvement and keeps it in the mid rpm where the power is.

My crossfire 84 vette has a renegade intake and its power is in the high rpm so I would like to get 3.73 gears.

thanks nelson!! looks good, had a large passenger and his knees were on the hump.as for performance i put a slp cold air kit on, seems to help at speed. looking at pump delete for the clean look more than hp.
do you have to plug off the tube from air pump on the converter?

thanks nelson!! looks good, had a large passenger and his knees were on the hump.as for performance i put a slp cold air kit on, seems to help at speed. looking at pump delete for the clean look more than hp.
do you have to plug off the tube from air pump on the converter?
I would remove all the plumbing and plug it at the cat. By the way none of these mods will set off a code.

Here in Ontario it has always been illegal to remove any smog equipment. It was no big deal back in the day but for the past few years in our area, the MOE guys have been handing out fines. We sold our '69 L78 Chevelle to a guy in Langley B.C. Out there, the car had to pass the emissions test once before it could go on the road. Might be something to look into before pulling the smog equipment.

good advise. Thankyou. i think that some places in ontario and the lower mainland corridor in BC are the only places in canada that require that as of yet. Here in sask the DOT guys are thinking of introducing a change where big rigs need their emission stuff for inspections. this is just being thought about not happening yet. Autos are years to come. the number of diesel pickups with pipes and deletes done would stagger you.i used to live in Bc and if you were not in that corridor you were ok. even then the pass would have to be meet the standard for the year of the car. IE if a 69 then must pass specs set in 69.

may do that. i know i want a bit better snap on the bottom end, ideally a gear change would be the thing to do but i sure enjoy being able to run with anything at the top end.so the way i figure is to just clean up and free up the 5-10-15 hp by doing some of these simple mods. Been reading that fuel pressure can make a difference, where should you increase that too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.