Carsnob

I'm New Here
You're 5
Dec 17, 2017
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
'77
Is there a model name for the those Corvettes with a vertical rear window?
The one I just acquired is a '77 --which I understand is the last year that type was made.
Also does anyone know in which year that model with the vertical rear window was first produced?
And did they all have removable T tops, or was that an option back then?
Thanks ...I'm trying to get to understand this particular model.

Attachments

• IMG_3664.JPG
    IMG_3664.JPG
    775.4 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Vertical rear window was available from 1968 thru 1977 on the C3 Corvette.
The early years had removable rear windows that dropped into a ‘bin’ below the rear deck.
This stopped when Astro Ventalation came along in 1973.
They were called a ‘Coupe’ and they were all available with the ‘T’ roof option.
Great question.
Graham

Vertical rear window was available from 1968 thru 1977 on the C3 Corvette.
The early years had removable rear windows that dropped into a ‘bin’ below the rear deck.
This stopped when Astro Ventalation came along in 1973.
They were called a ‘Coupe’ and they were all available with the ‘T’ roof option.
Great question.
Graham

A small correction Graham, Astro Ventilation was introduced in 1970 which my car has.

This is all I could find about why the removable rear window was discontinued...

Zora Arkus-Duntov stated that removal of the rear window created too much interior air buffeting and that this, not cost savings, was the reason for a fixed window in 1973.

So we can blame it on Zora!

Thanx for the catch Ziggy.
Graham

I retrofit a 69 removable window onto my 73. Was really easy because all the cutouts are still there on the 73 they just took away the hardware and "glued" in the window. It is awesome. It is almost a convertible with the tops off and rear window out. Not to sure how much work it would be on a 77 but I do (did when it was drive-able) love it on my 73.

Side note also...77 is sort of a odd year because they no longer were called "Stingray" but still looked essentially the same until the new rear window on 78's. 68-76 had the "Stingray" name

T

The saga continues..
It appears that in some documents the 68-77 straight-up rear window Corvette coupe is sometimes referred to as a 'notchback'..
I don't hear this term used much.

also..
The 1968 model year was not badged as a STINGRAY..
The Mid-Style Corvettes, '63-.67, were named STING RAY as two words.
The single word STINGRAY returned in 1969 and lasted until 1976.(thanx T)

graham

1968. Quote: The coup also sported a "Flying Buttress" roof pillars flanking a removable upright rear window, a treatment stylists called the "Sugar Scoop"
1968. Quote: Door vent windows were eliminated with the adoption of Chevrolet's new flow through "Astro Ventilation"
I have too many books and too much time.

Is there a model name for the those Corvettes with a vertical rear window?
The one I just acquired is a '77 --which I understand is the last year that type was made.
Also does anyone know in which year that model with the vertical rear window was first produced?
And did they all have removable T tops, or was that an option back then?
Thanks ...I'm trying to get to understand this particular model.

when I first saw one I was told it was called. VERY NICE

at least that is what they told me. Jeff

A bit more info.
When the 1978 Corvette came out with the big glass back window they were sometimes called a Fast-Back.
But that name never stuck.
They were just called Coupes like the earlier models.

Graham
I think that Ford coined the fastback name back in 1963 with their 1963 1/2 Galaxie came out with the new sloped back roof for NASCAR racing.

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.